“Excellent museum” 5 of 5 stars

Montreal, Canada
26 attraction reviews
“Excellent museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The planners of this year old museum have done an superb job of bringing to light Bologna's cultural and historical importance. The information (a lot of it) is well organized and as other reviewers have already mentioned, the English audio and visual representations are very clear. I arrived in Bologna, not knowing much about its history and culture and came away with a great appreciation of them
I also appreciated the museum's layout, and no throngs of tourists to plod through.- so unlike other major Italian cities.
I would only suggest that more seating should be available throughout the museum. With so much to see and absorb, we would have welcomed the chance to rest more often

Visited July 2013

• Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
19 attraction reviews
“Great place, need time to explore fully”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a great museum telling the history of Bologna. My 11 year old son was occupied and I was pleasantly surprised. The installations were excellent telling the history of the city. very good.

Porto, Portugal
6 attraction reviews
“To know more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

A great museum with excellent guides, where you can discover more about Bologna and its famous citizens.

Genoa, Italy
219 attraction reviews
“Learning Made Easy and Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

TA reviewer, EJSWA of Perth, below does a great job of summing up this museum and I agree with the review. Although in the beginning I was disappointed that the majority of the displays are reproductions, I was quickly won over with the use of the audio guide and wonderful interactive history and its presentation. After intently reading/listening to the first12-15 rooms, I became overwhelmed with all the information, so pace yourself! I breezed through the last several rooms because I just couldn't absorb anymore, but I found it fascinating and highly recommend it. This was my first stop after arriving and then I took the Tourist Board's two hour walking tour and felt I had a very good understanding of Bologna for the rest of my 2 days spent in the city. This also makes for a very good deal-the two hour walking tour costs 13 euros which is included in the Welcome Bologna card along with all the museums you can pack in in 48 hours, including this museum. The audio guide is included in the cost. I also appreciated that no one is trailing you as you move from one room to another they just seem to turn up when you need them. I was completely alone which was great especially in the water room! This is an unexpected gem! Don't miss it!

Philadelphia
37 attraction reviews
“innovative displays, beautiful building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The rich and long history of Bologna and the surrounding countryside is interestingly displayed in a series of self-guided rooms, beginning with the Etruscans and ending with the city's twentieth-century history and a look at contemporary Bologna.

The one thing I did not like was the Disney-like brief film in which an insufferable cartoon Etruscan runs around road runner style (think "be beep") - some might find this cute, I could not wait for this presentation to end.