“Close to main sq but noisy and old” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via della Zecca, 2, 40121 Bologna, Italy   |
Ranked #27 of 106 Hotels in Bologna
Certificate of Excellence 2014
wirral uk
“Close to main sq but noisy and old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I've just stayed there last week end , it's not to find but it's an old office block I think. Third floor.
It's opposite Benetton and ovs stores. I was on my own so had s ingle bed and an clean but stuffy warm room. Tiny. Shower was a trip hazard waiting to happen and if I lifted my arms I'd hit the sides.
The doors creak I put soap into the bend of mine. It's noisy at night. The back second floor I was on resonates sound upwards. Location to main sq is my choice but there's drawbacks with that.
The owner lady can't speak any English , most people can't in bologna to be honest. The night watchmans a nice guy and helpful
British drunk tourists woke me at four am a lot. The hotel kind of makes you feel like any noise ( tv ,kids ) is above your head.
Breakfast is free, ok , coffee good but mostly heavy carbs and sweet stuff. No fibre.
You get what you pay for in life. This hotel was cheap... I rest my case

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

the hotel is central and easy to find, just a few steps from the main square. on the 3rd and 4th floor of a building..that was ok....but when i checked in ( not even a word in english at reception...with ladies..was understood. the blonde one was very rude...) my room had a terrible smell of cigarette and sewer...a mixture.... the night manager ( very kind and perfect english ) changed me the room...thanks mate...you are great with your suggestions for restaurants and night life....i would not stay again at this hotel for the price and quality.....88 a night.....i could not even breath at night.......so choose another one next time

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
new hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Albergo Centrale was the perfect hotel for our 3 days retreat to Bologna. We hopped on the train with only a booked hotel and had no idea what to expect in the college town. Walking to the hotel from the train station was a cinch, the room was so clean and roomy enough for two rolling suitcases and their breakfast was delicious, ample and lengthy enough that we didn't have to wake up super early to grab the best fruit. The concierge was helpful in directing us to good restaurants and attractions and even gave us a trusty map to use. All in all, a great little hotel for two friends and their unexpected trip to Bologna. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in the heart of the city at a decent price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

You cant choose better than this hotel. It's steps away from all the historical sites and also from the Airbus bus stop , which will transfer you back to the airport at a very reasonable price!
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
I would have liked to see more of a variety of fresh fruit for breakfast....but that is a minor compared to all the good points of the hotel. The best part is the room I stayed in had its own balcony with a picturesque view over lovely Bologna.

• Stayed February 2013
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My great-uncle lives in Bologna and made arrangements for us to stay here. He requested room 16 because it has a fantastic view over the city. The room was very spacious and clean. I'd say this was the best hotel we stayed at during our month long Europe adventure. The breakfast is great and has a wide selection of yummy things! Excellent location close to the main piazza. Close to the train station, about a 15 minute walk. Staff was friendly and most spoke decent English.

Room Tip: Room 16 has an excellent view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here in july 2012. Location is simply perfect! Breakfast: large choice. Helpfull staff, 24u/day! Price is very good. We'll go again!!
We were in Bologna when there were movies on the big market place: must visit!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We loved our few days in this hotel. It is not very smart, but everything just worked for us. The position was perfect, close to the shopping, close to the main square, on the bus route. The room was clean, the staff obliging. The view from our room was romantic and lovely. Superb breakfast.
Great value for money. We liked the simplicity.

Room Tip: We faced the main street, and loved the position of the room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Albergo Centrale? Share your experiences!