“there are better options” 3 of 5 stars

You added Starhotels Excelsior to your Saves list
Starhotels Excelsior
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Pietramellara, 51, 40121 Bologna, Italy (Porto)   |
Ranked #16 of 104 hotels in Bologna
“there are better options”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The starhotel is located in front of the station of bologna, therefore very close to the center and the shopping area. The rooms are nice and clean but I would not say five star standards.
All the common areas as the reception and the lounge are nice and modern.
In the rooms there is not free wi fi and the breakfast buffet is very poor.
I would choose other hotel next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

764 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We visited Bologna so that my husband could go to the Ducati Motorbike Museum and factory.
We were only staying one night and so wanted to stay somewhere central so that we did not waste our precious time getting to the shops, the sights, the museum and the railway station.
This hotel was fabulous on all counts!
Located directly across from the train station we only had to wheel our bags across the road on our arrival and departure.
Even though we were so close to the train station we were not bothered by noise. We only had to walk around the corner to enjoy shopping (shops and market) and see some of Bologna's sights.
I also found a self service laundry just a short walk away - the hotel told me where it was - so I was able to catch up on some much needed washing. (we had been traveling for 3.5 weeks)

• Stayed September 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is one of the best ones I have ever stayed in. It is opposite the main train and bus station, therefore so easy to reach. You can take the aerobus from or to the airport and it takes 20 minutes. You can visit nearby places like Florence by fast train. It also offers great breakfast. Everything is abundant, fresh and delicious. The only problem is that some people had to wait in line to get a table in the dining hall. I think the management can get rid of the enormous table which is close to the kitchen door and make space for more tables. Receptionists were very helpful. You can use the free internet for half an hour in the lobby with the password you are given. We were upgraded to a junior suite while checking in and it was great. It was a big room with a modern and spacious bathroom. The only annoying thing was the sound of pipes at night. It may disturb light-sleepers like me.

One thing that needs to be improved asap is the doors. They are old-fashioned and there is a weird way to open them. The bell boy should teach you the trick otherwise it is impossible to open it by yourself for the first time.

On the whole, everything was very good. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Waterville, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a superb hotel, located right across from the train station in Bologna. I wrote ahead and got into my room very early. It was quite large with a beautiful bathroom, LCD TV, free wifi and breakfast (though I slept through each one), and fantastic staff.

My one and only complaint is that the thermostat in the room didn't work. It was kind of betwixt and between weather times in Bologna, so while the room was often welcomingly warm when I returned from the outside, it was stifling at night so I had to keep the windows wide open. I did not complain (just not my style, unless it had been intolerable), but would suggest for anyone who stays more than a few days that if your thermostat doesn't work and your room is too hot (or maybe too cold), do ask for someone to come in or for a different room.

While at first I found the mattress a bit hard to my liking, I found I was sleeping really, really well!

In every other way, this was a supremely classy hotel. Be aware at the train station, however. It was one of the sketchier ones I found in Italy, as when I went back on day 2 to buy an automated ticket, I was followed or latched upon by over four people. I immediately whirled, walked fastly away or otherwise evaded them. But esp. since you'll be using your credit card be very careful of your surroundings IN the station. This has nothing to do with the hotel, and since I will probably not have the opportunity to say so in a separate review, I want to shout kudos to a panini shop right near (there are several, on the same side of the street as the hotel). It's called Mavit if I remember correctly and while I expected the usually stale old stuff I get in Paris sandwich shops, these were made fresh, delicious, and stacked with whatever meat or vegetables were appropriate. I loved the turkey (and every night I returned to the hotel after having eaten lunch at a fine restaurant), I stopped in. The same wonderful young man greeted me each time with 'the usual?' He was unfailingly cheerful and fun. So if you stay at the Excelsior and need a sandwich, pick Mavit.

Room Tip: I had a high room which was great, with a view of Bologna's towers. Just make sure your thermost...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

If you are planning on making Bologna a base to visit central Tuscany, this is the perfect hotel. It is across the street from Bologna Centrale train station. The hotel is modern, the rooms very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom has all toiletries you can imagine and there is a safe, coffee and tea comp, a refrigerator and great blackout curtains. We had a room overlooking the station, yet the room was quiet.
Breakfast is very good with many hot and cold items. The daily cakes are not to be missed. The front desk staff was efficient, helpful with many excellent suggestions and helped us immensely.
My only complaint was about the inability to change the room thermostat. For me it was too hot, so i opened the window during the day and by evening it was perfetto.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel for a long weekend in Bologna in November. We arrived slightly early but were immediately checked into our room and even upgraded to a better grade of room. The receptionist was helpful,patient and efficient. We had asked for a quiet room and this had been noted on our reservation and as such we were allocated a room at the back of the hotel. However, as others have noted, despite being opposite the main train station the triple glazed windows are amazingly effective. Outside the street is full of hustle and bustle... but step into the glazed hotel and you immediately notice the calm and quiet. I can also confirm for anyone concerned about this apect that we are very sensitive to noise, especially at night, and had absolutely no issues at all with this hotel in this respect.

Our rooms was generally of a good standard - it was of a good size with a lovely clean bathroom, a large comfortable bed, nice bedding and a pillow menu to choose from as well as black out blinds. Any requests we made to housekeeping were delivered reasonably quickly. Strangely we noted that the carpet on the floor also extended up the wall to the border level which was a new one on us! The only comment I would make is that the room was quite hot - even though it was November - and we found it necessary to have the air conditioning on during the night to keep the temperature down to a level at which we could sleep.

Our rate included breakfast and we have mixed comments on this depending on which day you asked us. On Saturday we were queuing of the door to even get into the room and had to wait for some time. Once in there all supplies were running out and, it appeared, they could not be topped up fast enough and getting the attention of someone to order coffee was nigh on impossible. However on Sunday and Monday our experience was totally different since it was less busy. On those days the service was great and very friendly, the supplies were kept topped up regularly and the wonderful cappucino's were a great start to the day. The breakfast was mainly a cold buffet style with the addition of a few extras such as scrambled eggs and some sausages. However the range of croissants, pastries, fruits, yoghurts certainly provided options for everyone. The hotel did not have its own restaurant but did have a (usually rather empty!) bar on the ground floor where you could get a few items of food if you needed to eat in. However with so many local food outlets you did not need to go to far to find alternative options.

Location wise, the hotel is about a 10 minutes walk to the very main area of Bologna (though Bologna is not a huge city so if you like walking and exploring this is a great city for you). It has a reasonable number of small cafes (and a wonderful gelateria!) very nearby in addition to the wide range available in the centre. We found it to be a beautiful old city with some amazing architecture and we enjoyed wandering the little warrens of streets, exploring the food markets and deli's selling wonderful foodie treats. (Admittedly there is clearly a problem with graffiti in some areas but then in truth many European cities have an element of this too). We also found the people there very friendly overall - willing to suffer my poor Italian and also help out with English as far as they could.

For those who want to explore further afield being near the train station is ideal since this is a key interchange where you can get a train to Florence, Venice or Rome easily just for a day trip if you wish. The airport bus also departs from outside the trainstation opposite which makes returning to the airport very easy (there is also a taxi stand there for those who prefer that option).

Overall we had a lovely time in Bologna and would recommend it for a weekend stay. If you are staying for more than a couple of days we would recommend planning a day trip to somewhere like Florence (30-40 mins on the train) as part of your trip since two days if probably sufficient time to see Bologna itself. If we were to return we would stay in this hotel again since it provided everything we needed and the location was also ideal.

Room Tip: Triple glazing means limited noise in any rooms. However rooms on the back side of the building (awa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Arvika, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel is right across from the train station, and from where the airport buses stop, which makes it a good choice if you arrive late in the evening with a lot of luggade and don't want to spend money on a taxi. Looking back, I would not have chosen the Excelsior, as I found it to be quite expensive for the service I actually got. I had a deluxe room - very nice - but not really luxury.
However, my room was quiet, nice bed, clean bathroom. Staff in reception super stressed, even though I was the only guest in sight at the moment, which resulted in me having to contact them over and over again to ask for information about this and that. I had an ok stay in the Excelsior, but for another trip to Bologna, I would chose another hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Starhotels Excelsior? Share your experiences!