“Totally Charming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Osteria de Poeti

Osteria de Poeti
Via de' Poeti, 1 | 40124, Bologna, Italy (Santo Stefano)
051 236166
Description: www.osteriadepoeti.com/ or www.ipoeticatering.it/
Portland, Oregon
“Totally Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Below street level, this charming restaurant has wine-cave ceilings, dark wood and barrels, and kitsch everywhere to make it cozy (hanging pots, old radios, even a Victrola). Our host/waiter made us feel extremely welcome. Three of our 4 choices were outstanding: rich rigatoni Amatriciana, gnochetti made with pumpkin and guanciale, and a salad of fresh porcini and celery draped in generous shavings of aged grana padano. My salad of tuna, tomatoes, corn, mozzarella, greens, and shredded carrot was ample and fresh but dismally ordinary--mostly my own fault for taking such a pedestrian option. With water and a bottle of local wine, the bill was 54 euro--not bad. If we get back to Bologna, we'll definitely give them another try.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Berlin, Germany
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We found the restaurant by accident. From our 2 week Italy Trip we found the best desserts in this restaurant! Owners and staff were very friendly.
Liked the ambience.
Will come back if in town

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Bad meat and Chicken sold as Rabbit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was the worst restaurant experience I have ever had: the deer meat we got smelled foul! The rabbit we got was not rabbit but chicken or turkey. We told the waiter and he did not do anything , he just smiled sheepishly and asked whether we would like a dessert.
We left and got that somewhere else.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“A must if you are in bologne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

An absolute hidden gem. This place is in a wine cellar and the food is to die for. We ate there twice and would have gone again but ran out of days. Fantastic atmosphere with live music but not in your face. My friend and I ordered food which we shared so that we could try lots of different things and I can honestly say, no matter what you order, it will be Devine !

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Worst meal of our Italy trip - mediocre food + unpleasant atmosphere = tourist trap!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We ate here on the last night of our visit to Italy. After a week of wonderful meals, we were hoping to go out on a strong note. But, unfortunately, it was the worst meal of the trip. Not only was the food disappointing but we found the whole atmosphere quite unpleasant.

The food at this restaurant is mediocre to poor by Italian standards. That makes it OK by most other standards but there is no reason to eat food this lame when you are surrounded by better options. They do not offer the subtlety of flavor you should expect and they are too heavy on the cream sauces.

But that does not begin to capture how unpleasant we found the whole scene. The place is nice enough looking -- kind of dusty in a positive way -- but the authenticity was trashed by the cheesy cover versions of American and international music they play (and play too loudly at that!). The music was so loud that a large group of Americans across the room started talking very loudly to hear each other over it. Now, don't get me wrong, nothing against Americans (I'm one), but hearing loud American talk doesn't make me feel like I'm having an authentic Italian meal. And it gets worse! Soon, a musician came out, turned on even louder and cheesier recorded cover music to accompany himself, and started playing and singing along. At this point, it was so loud that it was giving me a headache, in addition to being totally out of place for the atmosphere.

And it was the awful service put the final nail in the coffin. We ordered four dishes and I told the waiter very clearly which two to bring first and which two to bring second. Simple as that but he screwed it up, bring both of my wife's dishes first. We sent her second one back at that point but she still had to eat her starter while I was sitting there like a bump on a log, then we reverse roles when mine showed up. For her second course, they didn't remake it -- just broke back out what had come out too soon. As a result, it was a little cold and overdone (the pasta wasn't just so al dente anymore).

What else? I ordered a glass of the house wine so the waiter brought the bottle out and gave me an incredibly weak pour. It couldn't have been more than two tablespoons of wine. 5 Euros for that wouldn't seem so much by US restaurant standards but, by Italian standards (where you usually pay 2-3 Euros for for a quarter-liter carafe of the house wine) it was obscene.

And, to top it all off, they tried to overcharge us by adding a spurious item onto the check. The bottom line is it's a big rip-off and totally a waste of a meal when you're in a city with so much good food.

• Visited June 2013