“Simple comfort,great base,excellent value” 5 of 5 stars

La Piccola Locanda Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Bixio 44, 00185 Rome, Italy (Esquilino)   |
Ranked #1,112 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Leics
“Simple comfort,great base,excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

Do not rely on the photograph on the hotel`s website to find the hotel! We never found the building illustrated. However the taxi drivers know it .A small doorway,entryphone,wnding stairs, reception in a small cubbyhole. However the rooms are very clean,the beds comfortable,fluffy white towels,a fridge and all the awful Italian TV you can bear to watch on LCD TV and air conditioning. No wardrobe or chest of drawers just a short rack with a few coat hangers. Breakfast served in your room is adequate,the coffee very good.
A really good base to explore ancient Rome as the Quirinale Hill ,where the hotel is situated,was the posh end of ancient Rome. A short walk to the Colliseum,the Forum etc.
Near the Termini railway and bus stations and metro lines.Trams run past the front of the hotel and can be noisy if the window is open,but good automatic blinds cut out the noise at night.
For a smple,clean place to lay your head after a busy day`s sightseeing I recommend it.
there are lots of good ,reasonably priced restaurants around the area,a LOT cheaper than those in the city centre.

• Liked — Clean,simple,well-placed for the Roman ruins.
  • Disliked — No storage for clothes
Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

We booked this hotel through a package deal with our flights, and were happy to give it a go given its close proximity to transport links (tram out the front and Metro station a short walk away).

When we arrived - our cab driver quickly determined that the street numbers were out of sync from one side of the road to another, and pointed us towards where the hotel was, unable to return down the street as it was one way.

We grabbed our stuff and headed for the hotel. There is no big hotel sign out the front - but the street number (44) is clearly displayed. When you approach the door - you see the name of the hotel next to a buzzer.

We were a little surprised to note that up stairs on the floor of this small hotel - there was a man sitting at a small desk which served as the reception area. The service was polite and efficient anc we managed to communicate with our broken italian and staff broken english just fine when we needed to.

The room was small, but clean and bright, with a modern and clean bathroom suite. The room for us was a place tp sleep while we made the most of the sights of Rome most days... but its not the sort of room you would want to spend much more time in than that, as its not big enough for this.

This hotel is better than a hostel (has its own bathroom) but probably closer to the size/style of a hostel. There is a safe in the room which we liked to see, and hanging space for clothes but no shelf to place our things on, which would have been useful.

The breakfast was fine - croissants, toast, juice, coffee & biscuits - brought to the room - but we only had it one of the mornings as we were heading out and about early most mornings.

The LCD Tv in the room was a nice touch at night as we got ready for bed - with many channels to choose from (All in Italian of course).

I would recommend this hotel to stay in for people just needing a bed for the night while they go out and see the sights of thi amazing city during the day. We can also recommend the kebab shop on the corner for a late night snack, too....

• Liked — Proximity to Metro
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

This hotel was presented to our travel agent as a great place to stay. Fine, we get a booking.

Trouble started when we got to the location. The GPS tells me I'm there. The house numbers tell me I'm there. One little problem - no hotel. I make a circle. Look at every number again - no hotel. I parked the car illegally, left the wife there and went to look for the hotel on foot.

There is another hotel nearby (as it turned out right next door to where we were supposed to go). I go in and ask the guy at reception about La Piccola Locanda. The guy literally explodes with profanities and abusive language. My Italian is not that good, but good enough to understand everything he was saying. Just as I was about to reply, an old man walks up from behind - apparently the yelling was not directed at me :)

As the guy calms down, they both explain to me, that they are tired of people walking in and asking about that other hotel, which doesn't even bother to have a sign. He politely explains to me, that I have to go back outside, and look at the door right next to theirs (just a regular small door to enter an apartment/office building). Near that door, there are 2 bell buttons. They have tiny signs, maybe 5x2cm. One of them reads "Hotel La Piccola Locanda".

Ok, at least now I know that I am in the right place. I ring the bell, get buzzed in and told to come up to the 3rd floor. It's an old and dirty staircase, and the thought of carrying our suitcases up there didn't seem an exciting prospect at all. I get upstairs, and see what looks like a very large apartment (later it turned out to be just that - there are 4 rooms in the whole place), with the front door removed and a guy sitting there with his laptop, at a tiny desk. This turns out to be the reception area.

I tell him who I am, he says great, gives me directions to the hotel parking and tells me to bring the luggage upstairs. I go back down, drive to the parking (it's right on the next street). The parking is underground and VERY difficult to navigate (for those who are not from Europe), but finally I'm there. Turns out, you have to pay for the parking (15 Euro) even though our travel agent was told it's included.

We take our luggage and walk to the hotel, then enjoy a lovely climb up those stairs with all our stuff. I ask the guy at reception for our key and he informs me that our room is not ready yet (after we were gone for almost 30 minutes to deal with parking and etc). We stand there waiting (it's stifling hot inside) for an hour! I started getting upset.

He called a lady, (I guess she was the hotel maid, although she looked and was dressed like a regular street junkie) who grabbed a dirty rag (yes, it looked very dirty) and ran off. 5 minutes later, we were shown to our room. It'll suffice to say, we did not really want to touch anything in there, seeing smudges from that dirty rag still fresh.

Anyhow, we get into the room and it's TINY. It is irregularly shaped, with LOTS of corners (yeah, sounds weird, but that's how it is). I look around and see NO WASHROOM! Just as I was about to blow up and go yell at the reception, my wife opens up a closet door (there was a sliding door in the wall). In there we see a tiny washroom (very reminiscent of an airplane one, size wise) and next to it a shower stall, with no curtain. The countertop and the the sink are designer stuff. Yippie.

The room's window is actually looking out on to a main, busy and very noisy street. At least there were electric shutters - that helped a little bit with the noise. There was also a small LCD TV on the wall - we didn't bother turning it on.

Anyhow, together with the washroom, the room's total size does not exceed 12 square meters. That is ridiculous.

In the morning they bring us breakfast (after us calling reception twice). Honestly - we did not touch a single item, as it seemed to be unedible, and was mostly a collection of burnt toasts and old packages of crunchy chips.

As a summary - STAY AWAY!!!

Since this property is not listed here, they're contact info is below, so you would know not to deal with them:

Via Bixio 44, Rome, Italy 00185.

Their website is [--]

Been to La Piccola Locanda Hotel? Share your experiences!