“Pretty good for a party hostel” 3 of 5 stars

Ivanhoe Hostel
Via Urbana, 50, Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #365 of 628 Specialty Lodging in Rome
London, England, United Kingdom
“Pretty good for a party hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

On first arrival we was wondering if we had made a mistake booking here, but the staff made us feel instantly at home. The rooms were pretty small, but were clean and had everything we needed. The wifi was fine (I was able to stream the football one night without the wifi dropping off) and there was even 3 computers that were free to use. The beds were fine for us and the bathrooms had everything we needed too.

The staff were fantastic! They were really helpful with everything, and they were always trying to ensure everyone had a good time. On two of the nights we stayed they put on a free cocktail and "disco" night. Every night they have music on in the corridor.

The worst thing about the hostel, and it was quite annoying, is that there is a 5 hour lockout from 11am to 4pm. Overall it was an experience staying here, but we probably won't stay there again. If you're looking to party every night then this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Ivanhoe hostel is somewhere I would go back to just because they were so nice there! The hostel itself was average but the staff were amazing. They gave us free pasta one night, free cocktails and three bottles of wine! They also cooked our dinner for us that we bought. The wifi is perfect. Such good people there and the best vibe. The lock out is fine, it gets you to go out and see Rome. 10/10

• Stayed August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hostel is right behind the Coliseum, a short walk to the fountain and surrounded by the best ice creameries in Rome. BUT (and there's a BIG BUT) the water was cold in mid winter in January, there was no hot water, the bathroom was all wet and quite disgusting. NO mention about the service, the guy from reception was always too busy to say hello, the room was packed but at least the heater was working so we didn't freeze, can't complaint about that . For the price it was "ok", we only went there to sleep anyway, and we were always so tired of walking all day . Once again location is pretty good but can't imagine how bad it would have been in30 degrees during summer with that unpleasant bathroom.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sam Johnson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Admittedly, on first glance we started to wonder what we'd let ourselves in for, but after just two nights staying here, it began to feel like home. This was the first hostel I have ever stayed in so naturally, I was a little nervous, but it turned out to be really great.
The rooms are kinda small, but the whole place is really well air conditioned which is a huge bonus for the summer months, especially as a lot of other hostels we stayed in across Italy just didn't bother having it. Bathrooms are kinda dirty but you come to expect that sort of thing when there's about 40 twenty something year olds sharing them every morning.
They really do mean it when they say they're a party hostel, we stayed here two nights and I can't even remember getting into bed on either of them. If you're a Brit student and used to going out late like me, I'd advise you to be ready for about 9, as the people who lead the way are generally Australian or American, and they tend to go out a lot earlier than we do.
As far as drinking goes, Rome isn't the party capital of Europe, but there are amazing places to go. A lot of reviews on here complain about the distance of the hostel from bars, but that's hardly their fault (it's a great distance from both the Colosseum and Termini station which are two excellent places to be close to). I led a group of around 8 or 10 of us (all drunk) to Campo di Fiori (big square with lots of bars) in about twenty minutes, so the location in that aspect is no problem at all. I would recommend drinking some cheap wine on the way there to save money (apparently it is not against the law to drink in public places in Italy).

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hostel to any laid back traveller in need of a room and looking for a laugh. Uptight people, look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Prior to my visit I sent numerous emails requesting info from the hostel. These were largely ignored and regardless of my attempts questions went unanswered. Eventually gave-up and canceled my reservation, in favour of a better run establishment. Poor service, recommend avoiding!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I should preface this by saying I prefer hotels - but a friend had stayed here a week before and told me it was great, so the girl I was traveling with and I decided to stay here while we were in Rome for three nights.

Naturally I was worried about the hostel already because I would be sharing a room and a bathroom (I like my privacy) but immediately saw that it would be worse than the other hostels I’ve stayed at.

The rooms smell, the windows don’t open properly and the beds are incredibly creaky. There aren’t enough ladders to get into the top bunk so my friend and I would have to pass the ladders to each other from the top bunk to get down - finally we gave up and just started jumping off the beds. There’s a sheet that’s tucked over the pillow and the mattress and a down comforter that I was nervous to use - both because it was scratchy and uncomfortable but I wasn’t sure when it had been washed.

They lock you out from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. What!? I like getting an early start to sight seeing and then coming back in the afternoon when the day is really hot to rest before going out again for dinner and nighttime, but it’s impossible here because they “clean.” I put that in quotes because the hostel was dirty and I’m not sure it has ever been clean since it opened.

The bathrooms - ugh. Unisex, dirty, some of the toilets don’t have toilet seats, the showers leak, the sinks are rusted, the water sprays, the showers are terrifying (don’t look up).

You can only pay cash - which was inconvenient for us. The guy at reception got annoyed, as if it was our fault we didn’t have a few hundred euros on us to pay for it when they hadn’t told us beforehand we couldn’t pay with a credit card.

It’s clearly a “party hostel” so if that’s what you’re looking for this could be perfect for you. But then there are random 35+ people staying there (and couples too) which makes for a weird atmosphere. It’s also really far from the main plazas with bars - about a half hour walk.

Would not stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hostel was located a few minutes walk from the Collosseum! Pizza places and restaurants everywhere...easy train ride to the Vatican but other than that, there is no real need to use the train! Free dinner and drinks about 4 out of 7 nights at the hostel, a fair amount of showers and toilets---all around clean place. Lockers were safe and people were amazing!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ivanhoe Hostel? Share your experiences!