“Not that bad.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Trambus Open

Trambus Open
Terminal Gianicolo | Street Urban VIII 16, 00165 Rome, Italy (Trastevere)
06/6840901
Washington DC, District of Columbia
7 attraction reviews
“Not that bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I'm surprised at all of the one star reviews for the 110 Open Bus. I didn't think it was that bad. I paid 15 euros for a 48 hour ticket. The bus goes through the Centro Storico, as well as to the Vatican. It doesn't hit every monument but does drive past all of them at least. On the one hand, everything worth seeing in Rome can be easily accessed by walking or taking the metro/bus. However, after a few days wandering Rome on the rough cobblestone streets, my feet were killing me, I had gone through multiple attempted pick-pockets on the bus, and had been squeezed to death in the stink on the metro. The thought going through all of that again and again to access the monuments was depressing me, so I decided to shell out the 15 euros for the tickets. I bought after lunch on one day, which enabled me to ride the rest of that day, all next day, and until lunch time the third day. We rode around one full time the first time just to relax and get a feel of the route. It was a great way to see all of these cool sites that weren't on our original checklist, like the Mouth of Truth. This allowed us to add some really great stuff to our itinerary. The buses came fairly often. I never waited more than 10 or 15 minutes for one. The buses did get crowded up top since everyone wants the fresh air and good view, so a couple times, I had to sit next to a stranger. I had no issues with the audio not working, though it's not the best quality (sounds like the guy is talking in a tunnel). I have had better audio experiences with open top buses in other cities like Paris. However, I only needed to listen to the audio once. After that (since I went on the bus multiple times), I focused on just looking at the sites and people watching. One day, there was a protest in the afternoon on the streets, and a ton of roads were closed off by the police. The bus wasn't able to access any of the stops except for the Vatican one for about an hour and a half, so we got stuck riding it around and around the city until finally the Colosseum stop opened again. Not the bus's fault, though. Overall, I feel like it was worth the 15 euros (15 euros felt like nothing after paying more than that for disgusting tourist trap meals) because it gave me a chance to relax my feet, avoid public transit crowds, and see some great views and sites. While there are only maybe 8 stops on this route, everything is within walking distance of each of the stops (except the Appian Way stops - try Archeobus for that).

Visited March 2014

“Worse than Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We went on this on our first afternoon to get our bearings of the city. What a waste of 40 euros!
Uninterested rude staff and the audio commentary doesn't work either (we got on a second bus to see if it would make the tour better)
The drivers only concern seems to be speeding round the "course" as quick as possible to be able to get back for a longer break.
This was the only disappointing aspect of our trip

Visited March 2014
Helsinki, Finland
35 attraction reviews
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

If you are at all able, I suggest you walk rather than taking this tour. All the sites it stops at are within easy walking distance and we wish we had done just that. The tour cost 20€ and the ticket would have been valid for 24 hours but we got off after about half an hour and didn't get back on. The headphones didn't work at all so we spent most of our time trying to work out where we were from the map provided and consequently saw nothing. Save your money and either walk or take the local bus. Total waste of money.

Visited February 2014
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“DO 'NOT' USE THIS ROUTE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I am an optimist by nature. I see NOTHING positive with this route.

I bought 3 x 48 hour tickets at €15 each on seasonal discount, should have spent the money on TAXI's .. it would have been cheaper. Half the headphone sockets did not work, often the information was late (passed the building/monument) and the stops are infrequent. The 2nd day parts of the route were different from the 1st, and no it was not the Sunday routing which changes due to City traffic rules.

Day 1 journey 1 tour to Vatican from Termini. Waited in the drop off location for the 110 to arrive to take us back. 20 minutes be dammed, we, and others, were really glad to finally see the 110 after maybe 35 mins but it did not stop! Except for the lights maybe 100 meters away. A passenger caught up with it and was gesticulated at to indicate 'around the corner'. There were 3 vacant bus pull in areas, it just carried on and left us all. After walking for about 6 hours that day, we were not amused, I saw a taxi pull up and drop off.. we used that to get home and this was under €13.

Day 2 journey 2. Whilst at the Termini bus stand making a complaint and to be honest getting no where, I saw a couple arrive, having purchased a voucher for tickets, with one small/medium suitcase (I have seen ones not much bigger as hand luggage). They were refused to get on.. the driver shrugged and shook his head. The agent said it was too bad go talk to the person who sold you the voucher. Then turned to me and said its leaving are you getting on. We did till Colosseum (1st stop) and eventually we walked home visiting as much as possible on the way that day.

NEVER NEVER NEVER USE THIS.

Visited January 2014
4 attraction reviews
“As bad as the other reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I wish I had read the other reviews before buying tickets. We thought we were buying City Sightseeing but ended up with this. Staff was rude. Stops weren't announced. Audio didn't work. We got off after 45 minutes and never returned. When I asked the attendant about the broken audio, she said I could keep the cheap earphones. Complete waste of money. Worst city tour I've ever taken.

Been to Trambus Open? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Trambus Open, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.