“Strange evening...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sora Lella

Sora Lella
Via Ponte Quattro Capi 16 (ISOLA TIBERINA), Rome, Italy (Sant'Angelo / Ghetto)
06 686 1601
Neighborhood: Sant'Angelo / Ghetto
New York City, New York
“Strange evening...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel staff, and its location in a converted house on Isla Tibernia was convenient to our hotel and "different". Upon our arrival for our reservation, we were escorted to an upstairs room which had tables with families (small children, multi-generations), which, although we were two couples, we thought was charming. Our waiter took our drink orders (wine) and proceeded, from the start to try to "up-sell" us to a more expensive bottle of wine...this was not a good beginning. There was a triumverate of waiters assigned to our table, one of whom was a new employee - he was polite in his halting English (less proficient than the other two, more experienced waiters), while the other two waiters stood barely out of our sight and taunted him while he was speaking to us. This behavior made all of us very uncomfortable, and their harassment of this new waiter escalated to the point where we were concerned for the new waiter's well-being when dishes began crashing in the back room as he entered. The other two waiters were polite enough to us (to our faces), but clearly were behaving differently in the back room. It is a shame the waiters behaved this way because the food was quite good. Based upon the behavior of the staff, I would never return to Sora Lella, and we were certain to inform the concierge at our hotel of our concerns. As I stated before, food, especially their Roman specialties, was quite good and enjoyed (as much as we could based upon the behavior of the staff) by our party of four. I wish I had asked for the impolite waiters' names because I would certainly have posted here so that others avoided them!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Istanbul, Turkey
“What a shame!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Me and my wife wanted to spend our weekend in Rome to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we decided to go to Sora Lella for our only dinner during our visit.

I called this restaurant and made a booking for Saturday night @ 8 pm. Everything was normal until we reached the restaurant about 20 - 25 minutes late due to the traffic jam. We came into the restaurant and learned that the restaurant was full and they gave our table to someone else. The person who told this was the owner I believe (actually I do not care whom he was) and he said in an impolite way that we were late and he gave the table to someone else. I told him that I made a reservation and there was a traffic jam and so this could be normal for a Saturday night that we were late however he told me that the reservation was for 8 pm so he gave our table to someone else... We had to leave the place and tried to find another restaurant which was really difficult in a place like Rome, full of tourists and especially on Saturday night...

As a frequent traveller, I have been to Italy for many times and visited almost everywhere in Italy several times and nobody can explain me anything about the punctuality of Italians especially in Rome...

A restaurant who doesn't respect to its clients' bookings, is not a restaurant for me. I don't care whether they have good food or not but they have to learn about hospitality and respect at first level... I really wonder at what time they decided to give our table exactly because anybody can be late to a restaurant for any reason and you should keep that table for a while unless it takes too much time of course...

On the other hand, I am sure that if I were an Italian, not a foreigner who made such a reservation, that table could be kept for at least 1 hour...

London
“A lovely surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We found this little place and was attracted by the many Michelin guide logos at the door. Had salumi plate as starter, followed by very tasty pasta and meat main course. Will definitely return next time in Rome.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Unusual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We booked here as we thought it would be busy and it was. We really enjoyed our pasta soup starters. I had skate broth with broccoli and my companion had bean and pig cheek soup. For mains, he had tripe which was very tender and I had the lamb offal mix which included spleen - a first for me. It was all tender and presented in a lovely savoury sauce.

Visited May 2013
Bristol
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Absolutely gorgeous food each course was wonderful accompanied by a great reasonably priced wine. The fact that there were lots of locals shows what a genuine experience this is.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Sora Lella? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sora Lella, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.