“Roman style feast...” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Roman style feast...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located in the Jewish ghetto, it has a family-run restaurant feel to it. This place is about fresh food, tradition and history. Their specialty is artichoke, which I personally never liked before till I visited Piperno. A jump in the past in Rome; tripe, tail and pajata was my favorite of the Roman cuisine; taste and perfume unmistakable.... will be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

maine
“15 Euro Artichoke”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place has delicious food and is obviously an institution with a lot of character and history. We arrived with a reservation. Host looked us up and down, walked us past our table in the front room, took our name card off the table, and walked us to the last table in the place in a back room. We were reasonably dressed, but not in coat and tie -- evidently there is a dress code to be in the front room. Nice greeting? Our waiter didn't seem thrilled to wait on Americans, and we seemed a bit "beneath" him. The food was delicious but outrageously priced. Wines were quite expensive with no house option. 15 Euros for a single piece of fried artichoke. I'm not kidding. Really? So we paid what was essentially $40 for two pieces of fried artichoke. Other places in the jewish quarter have delicious options at a fraction of the price. I gather that coming to this place involves seeing and being seen by others, and participating in the history of the place. Look at your budget and make your own choice?!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Delicious Pasta, Baccala, Carciofi and ... fried grandpa balls??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

It's not the easiest to find as it is located in a dead-end alley way in the jewish ghetto but that adds to the experience (esp for us since it was about 9:45pm when we went out searching for it!)

It's an old-school place and one may say the decor could be a bit stuffy...or cozy. Depends on how you look at it. It was pretty packed with locals and some visitors. The waiters speak some english and the prices are a bit higher than other places nearby in the ghetto or trastevere.

The pasta pescatore is delicious! As is the baccala (fried salted cod) and the carciofi. For desserts, we had the fried grandpa balls - I still have no idea what that is but it was a little sweet and doughy and we thought it was fun to try w/ our expresso.

Service was good and no one rushed you and it was a good way to end the evening.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Absolutely Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Loved our experience here. Dining in a restaurant isn't just about food although the food here was very fresh and well prepared. The best carciofi Judai of the trip but in general, the food quality in Rome is high for excellent fresh and simple preparation and this met that standard.

What made Piperno special was the atmosphere. We were mostly local Italian families, some in larger groups celebrating birthdays. We were here for lunch. The walls are a rich dark green and covered with large handsome scenic paintings. It is very elegant and authentic in feeling.

We enjoyed the service, the meal and the atmosphere.The prices were not particularly above more mundane restaurants. A great place to go in the ghetto area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Padua, Italy
“BEST FRITTO MISTO DI MARE EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

A taxi driver brought me here , I like to find recommendations from locals as they know where the good local cuisine is ....most of the time .
So Piperno it was the other day for lunch ...I began with a Prosecco , to accompany my dish of plainly presented but delicious stuffed fiori di zucca...each one with a different filling .
I can never go past Fritto misto di mare if i see it on a menu , and Italy is the only place to eat this dish for me. . Delicately battered and fried mixed seafood , calamari and whole little fish including sole, red mullet, sardine fillets and baby whitefish....simply dressed with fresh lemon squeezed on top. I followed with a kind of apple tart , but it really was an apple cake which the less said about the better , but in the restaurants favour the waiter did ask me why I did not eat it , and they did the gracious and appreciated thing by not charging me for it , this type of respectful service is well noted by me ...... I noticed some very interesting dishes on the menu i will return to try , like sweetbreads , and brains , offal is not so easy to find on menus , so i will return to try those dishes when next in Rome. The table next to me were devouring the fried artichokes ,after they had pasta , like a creamy spaghetti with a smoked lard scented base, it smelt divine , they said it was wonderful , and were almost licking their plates clean .
This restaurant would be best appreciated by those who would value a genuine ghetto restaurant experience. Without the expectation of something flashy and be prepared to pay for high quality ingredients which this fine establishment offers. no it is not cheap, but then fine quality never is . It always depends on what you want.
i highly recommend this restaurant for those wanting a fine quality local and authentic experience in Rome.

• Visited February 2013