“Looking for tourist trap? This is NOT the place.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3,081 of 8,263 restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Uppsala, Sweden
“Looking for tourist trap? This is NOT the place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I've visited Da Nerone several times the past ten years, both for lunch and dinner. This place is a genuine, Roman restaurant. Which means, what you find is not 'fixed' to attract tourists (which is not common when it comes to restaurants close to the tourist areas of Rome). Most of the guests seem to be locals - always a good sign!

This place is not fancy. It's not a lot of extras - it's plain, simple and real. Good food, good environment, good service, reasonably prices. I always order in my 'restaurant Italian' (I know a lot of words connected to food, nothing else) and it works out. But the waiters speak English if there are more complicated things to discuss.

For those who wants to know what classic, Roman restaurants are like - this is a good place.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Rome, Italy
“To avoid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I'm shocked at the number of positive reviews. I brought out of town guests here January 2013 and it seriously ruined any credibility I had about Rome. Ambiance: the restaurant was empty most of the dinner hour (we arrived at 8.00 and left at 9.30) and all you could hear was the buzz of the kitchen equipment. Food: The antipasto starter was very small for 10 euro, and not fresh at all, items coming from the buffet that looked like it was sitting there since yesterday. The bread was stale. The main courses were ok (ossobucco, saltimbocca, and crayfish) but very small portions for the price. Again, the contorni were tepid and came from the ancient buffet.

The waiter (who, btw, had noticeably dirty fingernails) "spoke english" to our guests but did so in a rapid uninterested manner that was practically incomprehensible. When asking for clarification he made several mistakes about the menu.

Definitely "off the list".

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely and cozy place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was recommended here by a friend and I'm glad that I followed his advice. The restaurant feels very Roman, not tourist-ism. The place was filled with local people and with (I assume) friend of the owner. We had a great dinner with a menu recommended by the owner. I will definitely come back here next time I'm in Rome.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great little gem,hidden away....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were walking round aimlessly, looking for a restaurant late in the evening in Rome. After asking a local, he recommended us this little gem near the coliseum.
We were quite luckily as the place was packed with regulars and got a table in the back for 2.
The service was fantastic from the maître d, who also suggested us a nice rich red wine to go with my main course of roast lamb; it also went well with the entrée of antipasto. My partner had roast chicken with roasted peppers and a rich tomato sauce, all done in the ostaria fashion, no fancy effects just plain good home cooked food Italian style…
For dessert we shared a tiramisu, one of the best I’ve had… (And I’m a chef).
The maître then gave us a digestive on the house which was similar to chartreuse, what was the icing on the cake….
You soon got the idea why so many locals were in there, even a local gent with his dog on his knee…
We will be back next time we are in rome….

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Orange City, Florida
“Not a great experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

RESTAURANT NERONE DI DE SANTIS EUGENIO. We had a table just inside the front door, so everybody entering the restaurant passed by us, as did everybody going to the restroom, which was right next to our table (we thought to set up a toll booth). We had pasta with peas, eggs, bacon and mushrooms, and the buffet, which we found just “interesting.” (Cost of the buffet depended on what you ate and we never did figure out how they determined our check.) Food was OK, service OK, seating terrible

• Visited October 2012