“If you are thinking about booking/staying here..don't do it!” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Romanico Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Boncompagni 37, 00187 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #420 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Alberta, Canada
“If you are thinking about booking/staying here..don't do it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

We stayed at the Romanico Palace in May 2009(21st-26th). If I could go back in time I would have stayed somewhere else.
I read every single review on this hotel before we left for our trip to Rome. I was so worried as there seemed to be so many negative reviews and only a few good ones. I was hopeful that the people who had good experiences were right and that would be our experience. It was not. We stayed 6 nights at this hotel and I cannot emphasize strongly enough that you should find somewhere else to stay.
We arrived and were told that the hotel management had made a mistake and overbooked and we would be taken to another hotel for the night. I objected and explained that we had plans for the next day, we are in a strange city and its not our fault that they overbooked. However, I explained that we will go if there is no room, there is no room. I requested to speak to the manager the next day because I was not happy about having to go to another hotel. The front desk clerk took a phone call and when he was done said, "ok, you can stay here then". So we followed the bellman through the hotel, down some steps, up some steps, past another front desk?? We got settled and figured out that we were not in the Romanico Palace. We went back and asked why they put us in the neighboring hotel? The Hotel Veneto that is next door? The front desk clerk (Johnnie) was very apologetic. He said it was all he could do for the night and he was so sorry, he would send us some wine and in the morning they would sort it all out. Seemed reasonable.
In the morning we went to the front desk to get switched out of the other hotel and the front desk clerk told us that we did not need to be moved because its basically the same hotel. I objected and asked to speak to the manager and was told by the desk clerk (Christoph I believe his name was) that he was the manager and there was no one else to talk to. This guy was one of the rudest non-customer service oriented people I have ever come across. Plus he thought we were stupid. He was not willing to talk to us about it anymore. So we went on the internet, did some research, realized it was clearly not the same hotel, went back and explained that the hotels are not the same. They have different rates etc and we would like to stay in the hotel we booked. He finally said that we could see a room in the Romanico and if we still wanted to move we could or we could stay where we are. The bellman showed us a room which could have been equivalent to a motel room you would find on the side of a highway. In fact I've stayed in nicer motel rooms. Room 411. We were told that we could have this room if we wanted to stay at the Romanico Palace. If we wanted to stay?? We booked this hotel.
Well we did not see any other option. As the room at the other hotel was small, noisy and on the second floor and we did not feel that safe. We took the room at the Romanico and decided that we would just keep our heads down and mouths shut and hopefully the next 5 nights would go by quickly.

Did I mention that the hotel room walls had stains on them. The pictures of the rooms on the website did not look like this room.
Believe me I am less upset about the room then the customer service.

The roof top terrace was nice - true. Iilaria was super kind, helpful-true.
The front desk man Johnnie was great - true.
However, it was not enough to make up for the initial experience and the attitude of the "manager", the run around or the crappy room.

The roof top terrace closed at 9:30 pm and the cold, boring lobby lounge was the only place to go at that point. Why?
I would guess that they lose hundreds of euros a night by doing that. We watched them turn off the music and turn away patron after patron each night. The terrace is the only thing you have going for you why would you turn people away from being there??

I agree with the person that wrote the last review. The serving staff were rude and a little creepy.

I'm happy that some of the people who have posted reviews seemed to have had a great experience. We did not.
Also, "overbooking" seems to be their "thing". We saw so many couples being moved to another hotel by taxi or put in the "Veneto" next door day after day. Its not a one shot mistake for them its a "who's paying more money to stay here thing".

One more thing, They do not have an iron in the room. I read a review about that and thought that they would have fixed it. No, they did not. If you need to take the wrinkles out of a shirt then you can pay 7 Euros and send it to be cleaned and pressed by the hotel.
We thought about buying an iron and donating it to the hotel but; didn't want to help them out in anyway.

Last, you do not need to respond to my review and say you are sorry. You had the chance to make it up to me when I was right there in your hotel and you didn't. In fact you treated us like we were stupid. However, you had no problem taking our money.
If I am ever in Rome again I will not be anywhere near your hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelromanicopalace, Sales Manager at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, June 8, 2009
Dear Ladies,

Thank you very much for writing your opinion and comments about our hotel. We are now writing to explain to you and to the other guest what has happened during your stay in our hotel. This just to tell both sides of the story. We believe you are unhappy with all the situation, but let’s face it point by point.

- your reservation was for a STANDARD/CLASSIC DOUBLE ROOM
- the reason of the overbooking was not a mistake of our management, but it was due to a bug/failure reservation system, didn’t you ever experienced a bug in your pc? We have lost almost all previous reservations and some new reservations have been confirmed in the meantime. Unfortunately during these days many guests had the same problem. Which was our fault, but it is a bit difficult to get upset to a server…, we tried to help all guests by finding an equal accommodation for the first night, this is how it works, you can ask to anybody working in tourism.
- The Hotel Veneto and Hotel Romanico Palace are twin hotels, owned by the same Company, of course they are different but very similar. In order to compensate with the problem of the missing Standard/Classic room at the Romanico Palace we have accommodate you in a Deluxe double room with hydromassage bathtub at the Veneto. We meant to help not to treat you badly. Plus, as you are saying we offered to you a bottle of wine. If you wish you can check-out the price of these two rooms and you will find out that the Deluxe room at the Veneto is more expensive than the Standard/Classic at the Romanico Palace. Also you joined the breakfast every day at the roof top terrace of Romanico Palace.
- Anyway the day after you have been accommodated to the room you have paid for at the Romanico Palace, if you didn’t like why didn’t you keep the room at the Veneto for the same price?
- We apologize for our reception desk staff not being polite to you, but we think they thought not that you were stupid. Also for the bar/waiter being rude. We inform you that the H.R. manager has been informed about this situation.
- Concerning the roof-top bar and terrace, we are very happy that you liked it. The reason why it is open up to 9.30 p.m. is that there are rooms just behind it…. What if you were sleeping there and people talking ‘till late night? Shall you complain about it?
- It is a choice of our management, for safety reasons, no allow not guest to use the iron and iron board in the room, plus we do not give information that we have this service and than we do not provide it.
- Finally, to reassure you and the other guests we inform you that we are not used to overbooking, but this has happened because of a System failure, we have found a solution for all the guests how occurred in this matter as per contract with all agencies & websites. We grant you that it wasn’t a matter of how much guests did pay for the room, but only that some reservations where lost in the system. We had to reallocate guests to other hotels and we lost money in this operation.
Finally, I just would ask for my curiosity: you met several times Miss Ilaria Lucani and you spoke about tours, city happenings... why didn’t you ever tell her how were you feeling? She is in charge of the “Customer care” and you’ve never reported your complaints. I think you could just find a good solution by discussing together.

Alessandro Stancato
Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

We already spent several nights in Venice and Florence, so we had a level of expectation when it comes to hotel quality and customer service. This was easily the worst hotel I've had the misfortune of visiting. The front desk staff was very cold and slightly disrespectful. The waiter/host of the breakfast room was quite condescending and insulting to us. The concierge was quite rude when I asked him where the nearest "supermercado" was. He told me that it was May 1st and that most businesses were closed. As a native European, I already knew this, but I also knew that the supermercado would be open the next day, as like a fool, I though that the concierge would be helpful...

Don't ever stay in this hotel!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelromanicopalace, customer care at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, June 5, 2009
Dear guest,

thank you for letting us know your thoughts about your recent stay here at the Romanico Palace.
I feel so sorry that you didn't find our staff helpful and "warm" and I can imagine why: the first of May is the workers holiday so most of the shops and public transportation are not working. We saw a vein of disappointment from every guest because you were here to make visits and do shopping but nothing was open/working and we couldn't do anything. I am sorry that you think that we didn't want help you but believe me we did our best to give you the service that we are able to give since years in this business.
Next time you will be in Rome I sincerely hope to meet you again and show you how careful and helpful we can be.

Best Regards
Ilaria Lucani

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I stayed at this just under a year ago but to my disappointment my review was never posted first time round but i just had to leave a comment.
I stayed here for a week with my partner and we loved it, it was pretty easy to find and when we got there all the staff were very welcoming and although the room wasn't ready we were given a map of the city and told where a couple of nice places were. When we did eventually check in we were taken to our room, which was very nice and clean. Our towels were replaced everyday and we had no faults with the room or noise at all. The breakfast room up on the roof terrace is amazing and going up there to watch the sunset was very romantic! The hotel is also in a very nice area, not too far from everything you need and good transport links. It is opposite what looks like the american embassy and they dont just put them anywhere so it must have been a very posh area!
If i ever return to Rome i would almost certainly stay here again, we loved every moment of this beautiful city and the hotel just topped it off nicely! friendly staff, good location, clean rooms, what more could you ask for??

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

thank you for your lovely words left about our hotel facilities.
We hope we have been helpful to you and contributed to your pleasure.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

As a first time visitor to Rome, you can imagine how excited I was to be there. I had already stayed a week in Milan and had a great experience at the hotel. When I arrived, the gentleman behind the front desk told me the room wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready till 2pm, no problem, I knew I was early. At 1:45pm, I noticed he began to register guests, so I went up to the desk thinking he would be able to register me, but his response was " Ma'm, I told you rooms wouldn't be available until 2pm, go back and wait", not in a friendly tone, but in a real condescending and annoyed tone. Every night that we wanted a drink from the bar, we were greeted by another annoyed male employee that looked as if he did not want to be there. On the 2nd to the last day, I finished my breakfast, on the lovely terrace and decided to take a cup of coffee down to my room while I got ready for the day. As I was waiting for the elevator, the same evening bartender, rudely told me "no drinks, you need to drink on the breakfast floor", not only was he rude, but continued to scold me as if I was a child and waived his hand at me, indicating that I needed to go back on the terrace. The hotel is very nicely decorated, clean, not close to anything and has to either re-train their staff on customer service or hire an entire new team, in order for them to continue to attract clients. As a professional, that has worked in the customer service industry for 10+ years, I understand mistakes do happen, but there is always a rude way and a polite way of explaining errors to clients. I truly was appalled that they would have such a rude staff, considering it's a 4 star hotel and they are in the hospitality industry. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone, until the hotel is able to re-think their employee customer service skills. On a positive note, there was one breakfast waiter, that was very nice and always greeted you with a smile. His co-workers, should really learn something from him.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

thank you for your impressions left about your recent stay here at the Romanico Palace. Everytime we have these reviews we take in consideration all your suggestions because we really think that in this way we are able to improve our standards.
I feel very sad because I see a note of disappointment but please let me explain that sometimes, expecially during busy days we might seem a bit careless but this is not because we are unpolite or rude staff. We always try to be helpful and kind with everybody even if in front of us there can be stressed people who had problems with their reservations/journays. I think that sometime if you see a situation not so quite you can understand that our behaviour can change and maybe seem a bit "cold".
We sincerely hope that you can understand our position and maybe one day you will give us the chance to show you all our friendship and professionality.
Best regards
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

The front desk is cold and always seem to b dissaproving. Iliana is very nice but the rest of the staff is dismal

Dear Guests,

thank you for the review sent on the tripadvisor. I am so sad to see that a negative note damaged your stay here. Everybody here tries to give their best to make our guests feeling at home and very coddled.
Please accept my apologize if we didn't get the effect desired and give us the possibility to show you all our kindness and careful.

Annapolis, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

When we arrived there was a mistake with our reservations and there wasnt a room available for our first night's stay. The gentlemen at the front desk were very kind and had made arrangements for the night at another hotel and taxi service was arranged. When we returned the next morning our bags were held and we were told to return at 1-130 to check into our room. We returned to find we were placed in a room with a balcony and a very large tub and shower on the balcony overlooking Rome. We had booked a standard room. The hotel was very clean, the staff was always kind and helpful. Breakfast on the 7th floor was delicious. We had read some earlier reviews stating the drinks in the afteroon on the Terrace were expensive. We did not find the drinks were any more expensive than any other restaurant in Rome and the view was worth the cost of a drink. Overall our stay at Hotel Romanico Palace was much more than we expected and we would recommend the hotel for a lovely stay in Rome. The location is wonderful for touring. The public transportation is very close. The Borghese Museum is just two blocks away, and Via Veneto is a great area with very nice restaurants. A perfect trip for these travelers.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelromanicopalace, customer care at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, May 30, 2009
Dear Guest,

thank you so much for the review left about our Hotel.
Everybody here is so happy to see that you had a very pleasant stay even if we had some problem with your reservation upon yopur arrival. It is a pleasure for us to hear sincere and warm words from our guests because it means that all our efforts give the desired effects.
I really hope to have the pleasure to meet you again in the next future and all of us is sending you our
Kindest Regards
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

First of all I can confirm what other reviews have said about Ilaria Lucani who was a great help from the moment we made our booking. Ilaria organised pick up from Fiumiciino airport which was quick, convenient and efficient; made restaurant reservations for us and recommended a restaurant where the staff were friendly and the food excellent. Ilaria's colleagues were very welcoming when we arrived and helpful throughout our stay.
The Romanico Palace is in a good location just a short walk from the Via Veneto and the Spanish Steps. We loved having breakfast on the 7th floor Roof terrace and will certainly visit again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelromanicopalace, customer care at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, May 7, 2009
Dear Sir,

My team and I would like to thank you for the wonderful words left about us. We feel so glad to see that our efforts to make your stay a pleasant one, have been rewarded.

We sincerely hope to meet you again here and we send you our

Warmest regards
Ilaria Lucani

Been to Hotel Romanico Palace? Share your experiences!