“Not a great value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #409 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
roma
“Not a great value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel recently, but this is not a 4 star hotel by any means. I travel a lot and i have never experienced a more uncomfortable bed.However great breakfast and friendly front desk staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

828 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

one can say this property has a traditional Roman style decor but our room was far too ornate for our liking, with huge gilt framed mirrors covering the walls (maybe to distract from the room size) For the small room it was hideous. The bathroom had a window directly above the toilet, overlooking the bed! certainly no privacy in this room. Breakfast included was short on food for those late to arrive. No night time views from the rooftop as it was closed after breakfast. Location was ok with a few very good restaurants & cafes nearby. Pleased to only have 1 night here prior to joining a tour, we would not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: not the one we had, only good points were opening window & 1st floor, easy without using the lif...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Giulio F, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Client,
Thank you for sharing your experience with others!
One thing that many people perhaps don’t know is that every room in the hotel is different from the other one in terms of colors of the wall, marble in the bathrooms , furniture , size and so on. they are all very stylish well decorated and comfortable.
If you would have asked to have a different room I am sure we would have found a solution.
The breakfast is served on the seventh floor giving you the best panorama of the Eternal city where you can enjoy a selection of different variety of food and drinks. the roof top is only open in the morning or for special events and private dinner.
That is s why I always recommend when possible to get in contact with us directly and express the concerns may have.
We really appreciate your comments regarding the staff.
We thank you again and hope to be at your service on your next trip to Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I spent 4 days in this hotel with my family.to be honest after reading the bad reviews I was a bit concerned. It was instead a really nice discover! The hotel is very nice and the style is unique! A special thank goes to Julio, he really tried his best and made our time enjoyable and I really felt looked after. The room wasn't to big but normal sized for a european standard! The hotel is very clean and the staff is polite. I will not hesitste to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel is a joke, please disregard the pictures on their website. The staff is rude n the concierge, Julio, lied about the arrangements of the Green Lines Tours, they will pick you up from your hotel but will not return you back, we were dropped off in an unfamiliar area n was told by the touring agency to take a Taxi back. Our tour guide really didn't speak English well and was very rude. After letting the concierge, Julio, know what happened on the tour he said oh well at least they drop you off in close proximity to the hotel, we told him that's why we went with them because of what he told us, the pickup n drop off accomodations, he said he would get back with us but never did! The staff was not accomodating at all, and not trustworthy. The person that posted the Americans got the better rooms is not true, if a room with a leaking air conditioner, a mole smell and bed bugs is better then I'm confused!!! We had what was suppose to be a 3 bed suite, rm# 485,it was cute however it was a 1 queen bed suite and a chaise lounge as the 3 persons bed! Everyday after returning from a day out there were bugs flying around in the room which look like food flies/bugs but no food was in the room, we never ate or kept food in the room...as well a mole smell. The free wifi is a lie as well, they do have free Internet on the hotels computer only and you're timed. If wifi exist forget about logging in from your device in your room.There's no privacy the staff watch you while your on the hotels computer and asking " is there a problem" still doesn't stop them from being nosey! The guy in the bar area tried to charge 4 euros for water, but in the room its only 2.50 euros after asking why the difference in price he then said ok 2.50 euros! I walked in the lobby of the hotel from outside and sat in the lobby to finish a call from my doctor, the front desk staff, an elderly guy, and two younger guys kept staring then the elderly guy ask one of the younger guys to walk over to see what I was doing, why did it matter, I was a guest at the hotel, no one else was in the lobby and they couldn't hear me on my call. The Spa, not sure what it looked like because when we asked to see it the staff member said he was too busy to show us but he was standing around doing nothing! We asked could we get a wine opener once again the front desk said he was too busy but I could come get it myself, when I went down he wasn't busy at all, not to mention it was about 1am! The breakfast is watered down drinks n sweets. The bread is stale, watermelon n prunes is not a fruit bar! The carpets are very dirty n walls. When checking in we was told there's a city tax for tourist of 2.00 euros per person per day however when checking out we were charged 4.00 per day, after telling him it was suppose to be 2 euros he said ok n changed it! Unethical staff trying to overcharge! It's in a great area but to get bed bug bites, a leaking air conditioner n mole smelling room with a rude staff at 350.00 Euros per night it's not worth it. The Westin is close by its beautiful on Veneto!

• Stayed June 2013
Giulio F, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments.
having others share their perspective about us can be very helpful. Regarding your impressions about the hotel, I am sorry to hear that your time here hasn’t been the best!
In order to have everything well organized I always recommend to call the Hotel directly and arrange everything when possible even with a phone call!
Regarding the Tour that has been arranged by myself, usually is booked pretty much in advance otherwise as you may know you have to bare a long queue especially for tours like the Vatican Museums or the Coliseum. Regarding the drop off issue , there has been a problem of miscommunication between me and the agency, I do apologize for the problem occurred.
Our roof garden is with no doubt one of the best in Rome! there is a vast selection of food and drinks. different variety of cereals, type of bread, jam, marmalade, chocolate, fruits and much more, different type of drinks like juices including fresh made cappuccino or Italian espresso with no extra charge!
I am sorry if you felt observed at the lobby when making the phone call but I can guarantee you that my colleague was just doing his job without interfering with your privacy. It is important that for the security of our guests all the public areas are checked out.
It a pity you didn’t have the chance to see the Spa center , it is very nice and full of details, the right place after a long day or a nice excursion.
Regarding the rooms, we do have different type of rooms in terms of space, furnuture, colour of the walls, bathrooms. When possible we try to accomodate everyone trying to offer the best solution!
We are looking forward to your next visit in Rome hoping to be at your service at the Hotel Romanico Palace and wish you all the best in the future

GRAZIE

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I booked this hotel several months ago through an online site that promoted several benefits including free breakfast, which I was particularly interested after seeing the photos on the hotel website that drives me to choose for this property.
Later I contacted the hotel for assistance with the organization of the transfer from the airport and in the time of a few e-mail had already arranged everything, even giving me great tips about my days to spend in Rome .. in fact it was my first time in the Eternal City!

The bad surprise came when finally at check in I found out that even though my reservation was talking about breakfast included, then the Hotel received it without breakfast! After a moment of disappointment, I immediately felt at ease as 2 people of the staff had taken care of my problem, and while one of them contacted the online agencies, the other took care of me and Barbara, my girlfriend, offering a drink at the bar.

After 5 minutes the problem was already solved, no time to finish the drink (which, however, was very good) that we were informed that breakfast would be included in the stay for sure and without any additional costs and that they would solve the problem directly with the online site whom I had booked, which apparently was not new to these unprofessional practices!

The rest of my 3 days in Rome was wonderful, I discovered a beautiful city that will surely be back to visit, and will definitely return to the Hotel Romanico Palace that all members of his staff proved to be one of the best hotels I have ever been, where the customer is always the center of attention, even before the stay and then during our days there, giving us many many good suggestion about place to go and things to do, booking for us City Tour and much more!

Surely the next time I'll return, I will book directly with the hotel by contacting their reservation office, always better to talk with someone who provides the service rather than an online agency where the traveller is just a number!

A big thank you to all, GRAZIE!

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Hotel is in a really good position, and on the plus side the the rooms are clean and the bed really comfortable. There is no way this is a 4 star hotel though. Decor definitely needs updating and the stair carpet and walls in particular are quite grubby. The lift broke while we were there. Don't bother with breakfast and as previous reviews say the rooftop is not as good as it looks and the roof does not open, basically overlooking rooftops, not as nice as portrayed. Watered down tasteless fruit juices, luke warm water each morning for tea and coffee, stale bread for toast which had obviously been left out overnight and fruit consisted of watermelon or tinned prunes! Front of house staff man , tall, bald headed man with glasses was quite rude, extremely unhelpful when we requested lower floor room for my dad who struggled to walk despite mentioning we were celebrating a birthday there, rooms were very small and disappointing. The Americans seemed to have all the nice rooms, so you are ok if your American :)) most staff ignored you not even a good morning as they passed you. Overpriced bar prices even for Rome, would not stay here again to be honest.

Room Tip: Don't have 483/487
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Although we have traveled quite a bit throughout Europe and have very reasonable expectations for accomodations, this hotel was a disappointment. The conciege was helpful and friendly. However the front desk staff was downright rude. The rooftop terrace is closed in the evening. Do not be mislead by the picture the hotel has posted. It would have been lovely to sit on the roof at night and enjoy the skyline. Unfortunately, this is not possible. Very poor operating elevators (my husband got stuck). We will not be returning to this hotel on our next trip to Roma. The room was clean, bed was just fine. The location is ok, close walk to Via Veneto and near the US Embassy. Overpriced. The staff really ruined this experience for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelromanicopalace, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you a lot for your kind review. Your point of view for us is really important and it makes us improve our services. The hotel,as you mentioned, is located in one of the most important,fashionable and historical area of the eternal city. In fact within a few minutes you can reach the best attractions as Spanish steps, Trevi Fountain, Via del Corso and so on. The terrace on the seventh floor is opened in the morning for the breakfast. Its astonishing view and the vast selection of food and drinks will make an excellent start of the day. During the evening, a dinner service can be arranged in the most romantic way…Imagine the illuminated Rome whilst you’re tasting Italian food and drinking a nice glass of wine. We are very happy that you found your room nice and very clean. Each room at the Hotel Romanico Palace is different from the other. We are very proud to offer a very unique style. In order to make your Roman holiday memorable we always recommend to contact the hotel directly. We always make sure that the clients needs are met. We really hope to have the pleasure to have you again as a guest and demonstrate you that our service is really good.

Giulio

Been to Hotel Romanico Palace? Share your experiences!