“Italy via Insight Vacations Sept 7-16 2012” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Romanico Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Boncompagni 37, 00187 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #441 of 1,265 Hotels in Rome
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Italy via Insight Vacations Sept 7-16 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at this hotel. Our group was quite large (38) and we only had to wait 1/2 hour for our rooms to be ready for each pairing. The staff was very, very friendly and accomodating. The boutique feel and design provided a warm feeling. I extremely loved the room key system. The rooftop restaurant with those beautiful views day and night was an extra plus; AND the fact is that this hotel location was perfect for our evening stroll to Via Veneto was like an extra (2) scoops of gelatina . The room accomdated our 2 twin-bed sleepers with more than enough room. The staff was MORE than accomodating. Yes, several staffers did double duty as Front desk attendants, concierge desk and awesome bartending, but they ALL did it with a smile and a kind greeting each and every time I saw them. This was the first stop on our "Italian Intermezzo" Tour and I was truly pleased. The hotel even allowed our group to have its own " late night with Bubba" tradition commonly know amongst our group as the " hanging-out-until-3am-if-we-wanted-to" club. The staff was certainly friendly and gave helpful notes on exploring the area, how to get to the Spanish Steps, great restaurants and cafe' reviews and whatever else we needed
I had a blast.

Room Tip: I had an end room. A little noisy with trucks and buses, but I enjoyed it a lot
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The hotel Romanico is a charming hotel, the staff were friendly on check in, and took our bags up to the room.

We walked everywhere from the hotel, its a little far for some attractions but its a pleasant walk along to the Spanish Steps.

The room itself was lovely, good sized bed and bathroom, clean, and interesting decor..! There was a good minibar, safe and flat screen tv. Not many english channels but is that really a problem?! Air con worked great, very welcome when it was 36 degrees outside.

Breakfast was great but a bit expensive. Usual continental food with pastries, yoghurts etc. Decent coffee though!

Would definitely recommend for a few days in Rome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Off on another anniversary trip away without the children (thanks mam & dad x) we booked the hotel looking for a romantic city centre location.

The photos on booking.com looked so sumptuous and luxurious. Exactly that i had in mind being chief in charge of organising our break..a bit OTT perhaps for Mr N but it was my bag so having read a few reviews, I double checked the location and booked Hotel Romanico Palace full of expectation.

We made our way from Fiumicino Airport via Express train (34 euro for 2 - 30 min journey) to Termini station in Rome. Pleasant journey bit of a rush to get seats though. We then had a 2 stop journey on Rome's metro station to Barberini metro station which was nearest to the hotel. TIP...metro system is very busy and very warm. With a case to pull, bags & coats to carry and trying to find the right train (we got on the wrong one) I would recommend just getting the taxi from the airport but only if u can agree an upfront cost. We paid 48 euro for the taxi back (arranged through HRP ) so for all the hassle there we only saved 2 euro!!! We then had quite a walk uphill to the hotel with bags & cases.

On walking through the doors the first thing i saw was the little fountain i recognised from the web pics with the white tassles and glass beads. Only the tassles now had black mould on them.. It would't have taken much for the mould to have been cut off, still leaving enough tassles for effect. Hmmm my OCD kicking in?!!

Reception is small, but staff were efficient on check in so all was forgiven.

Our room was on the second floor and had a red/ gold theme. It looked more theatrical than rich & opponent. It was more reminiscent of a scene from Carry On Up Pompei... It felt false & forced.

There was a mini bar, AC, nice sized bathroom (with bday?!!) and A hydro massage bath!!! The best feature (I thought at the time) Turns out you have to pay 18 euro to have it activated... Which we did as we planned to do a lot of walking so knew it would be needed!!) It still didn't work even when the bell boy returned to 'fix' it... Gutted. We were refunded and given a '2 free drinks chitty' for the bar. Still gutted.

Plasma tv has 2 English channels... BBC news & CNN. Mr N only had it on whilst waiting on me getting ready for our evening meals!!! So no issue for us really.

Mini bar well stocked and fairly priced :)

Hair dryer in bathroom was an issue for me. You have to keep the switch depressed to use which proved a nuisance. I kept having to swop hands as my thumb ached after only a few moments. This would be almost impossible for anyone with old fractures/arthritis etc!!

Another issue for me was no full-length mirror anywhere in the room.

We didn't have any views from our room but the views from the breakfast terrace on 7th floor were spectacular!!

Breakfast was average continental. No option for cooked I'm afraid :( Gutted.

Although pleasant, if you're looking for 'special' I would book elsewhere. For the price I don't think this hotel ticked enough boxes. Mr N and I are well traveled and had high hopes for this hotel.

I'm thinking I may be sacked from my role as chief trip organiser from now on :(

• Stayed September 2012
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Many thanks for hospitable accommodation. Your hotel was nice and in a good site and people were so friendly. We did like our stay and hopefully can come back some day. Rome is a wonderful town.

Very special thanks for that young gentleman in your reception who guided us to such a nice restaurant, La Gallina Bianca. It was very cosy and nice place and of course the food was delicious.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel at the end of my 2 week trip. The Hotel is abt 2 blocks from the Via Veneto - and also abt 2 blocks from the US Embassy. The Hotel Staff was very nice and I had free Internet Service (not sure if this is a change based on passed reviews). The Hotel could use a bit of renovation - the rooms and hallways were a bit used/tired around the edges. The bathroom towels were great and the shower was also very nice. The A/C worked and my room was cool even though the days were in the upper 80s/ lower 90s. The b'fast on the roof deck was nice - nothing overly special. There is no restaurant in the Hotel so if you want to grab a quick late night bite, you would need to go out. There is one restaurant that is nearby, right behind the US Embassy, that served great food. Otherwise, you need to go to the Expensive Restaurants on the Via Veneto or down some other side street. The Hotel did arrange for a driver to take me to airport - the driver arrived early - which is to my liking - the car (a mercedes) was very clean and the driver very courteous. This hotel property is between a 3.5 to a 4......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Giulio F, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us. As you know we take into great consideration both positive and negative reviews. For example you are right about the internet access now being free, we did infact listen to guests' feedback and thought was a good idea to give it out for free instead of charging for it. Our job here is to help making every vacation feel special and with the help of you all we are hopefully improving year after year.
Thanks again and see you next time!
Peterborough, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I recently stayed for 2 nights at this hotel prior to boarding a 7 night cruise from Rome. I booked this hotel through Air Transat at a rate of $120/night including breakfast. Reading some of the reviews I was a little worried. However, turns out the hotel was not bad at all. Service was friendly and efficient. I had booked a standard room. I was offered an upgrade to a suite for an additional $50 Euros per night. Seeing that I was going to spend very little time in my room I declined. I was given free access passes for wifi in my room, which worked fine. The decor in the room is a little over the top. I knew that european hotel rooms are generally smaller and this was certainly the case. Having booked a standard room my view was pretty dull. Looking into the inside of courtyard, not very attractive. The room and bathroom was very clean and was equipped with a safe. Breakfast was served on the roof top terrace from 7 am to 10 am. The first morning I left the hotel at 6:30 am on a tour and I inquired about breakfast on the go. I did receive a cup of coffee along with a big white paper bag that contained two little packs of melba toast, two little jams and a juice box. I must say that was hilarious and certainly did not constitute breakfast to me. The next morning I was able to take advantage of the breakfast. It was a plain continental fair with toast, croissants, baking goods, meat, cheese and jams. Plain but sufficient. The hotel was a little off the beaten track. It was probably about a 15 or 20 minute walk to Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps. There are no restaurants nearby nor can you order anything in the hotel. Overall for the price that I paid, it was a decent hotel to stay at.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hudson, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were there from September 1-3, 2012. We couldn't have been happier with our stay. Our room was in the main hotel and the decor was unique and beautiful. The frescoes on the ceiling were lovely.
We arrived around 11am and they stored our luggage until our room was ready. The area is nice and everything was walking distance however it may have been far for some. Spanish steps was about 15 minutes and Colosseum maybe 40.
The breakfast wasn't outstanding but it was sufficient. You have to remember this is an Italian breakfast and not an American one.
Internet was free if you asked for a code at the desk. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012
Giulio F, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Romanico Palace, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful remarks. It's always a pleasure to know that our clients had their best experiences with us. I hope you get the chance to visit us and the city of Rome again in the near future, because we will be ready to welcome you again.

Been to Hotel Romanico Palace? Share your experiences!