“good basic hotel near US embassy” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Romanico Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Boncompagni 37, 00187 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #413 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Kuala Lumpur
“good basic hotel near US embassy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Room was clean - if basic - with somewhat tacky IMHO attempt to make room look opulent with bad painting and decoration. Nevertheless for a little over 100e not a bad deal given the location (pretty central). However the posted rate for my room was 960e! Maybe this is someones idea of a joke.
Staff were friendly and helpful. No frills sort of place, definitely NOT a place, but okay if you are not expecting too much. I was able to get a great rate at the Calvalieri which is in a different league - but the cost was only twice that of the Romanico - by this comparison Romanico was not worth it BUT I think the special rate I got was not available often and for the usual rates the Romanico offers a decent place for a somewhat fair price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights at the hotel from 1st-5th of Sept 2011. The staff are very friendly and it was my daughters 18th birthday so It was arranged to have some balloons in the room., they sorted this all out for when we arrived, our room was ready when we checked in early.
They were all very helpful on the desk and at the bar. The hotel is in a nice area, a 10 minute walk to the Villa Bourghese and Zoo and very near the Via Veneto which has several restaurants and bars, including the Hard rock Cafe. CLose to the Tour bus stop if you want to use this and just a short walk to the Taxi rank.
Rome is beautiful and we enjoyed our stay here, although in general Rome is expensive, this hotel is good value for money. I would recommend using this hotel. JB London

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights on our first trip to Rome. We arrived at the hotel before 9 a.m. due to an early flight. The hotel took care of our luggage and told us we could check in a few hours early if our room was ready. We came back around 1 p.m., and we were promptly given our room keys. Our bags followed a few minutes later. Needless to say, the staff is friendly, attentive, and they speak English very well.

We stayed in a standard double room: Room 222. The room was a little small, but for Europe, that's to be expected. We had no drawers or dressers, just two small closets built into the bed for us to hang up our clothes. We kept most of our stuff packed in the luggage. The bathroom was nice - no tub however. But it was clean and classy, so we were happy with it.

The bed is rather firm and the pillows are as flat as pancakes. When I chatted with friends who were staying at a Marriott near the airport, they experienced the same thing with their bedding. Must be the Italian way. We got used to it even though we would have preferred a softer bed.

My only real gripe with the hotel is that they didn't inform us that there would be a city tax to be paid upon check out. It would have been helpful for them to mention that to us, especially because they require it in CASH. We had to turn over our last euros that were for our taxi to the airport and then have them call a more expensive cab that could take credit card. Not the best way to end what was otherwise a pleasant stay.

The hotel is nearby the American Embassy, a close walking distance to the Spanish Steps and the Villa Borghese. We walked mostly everywhere - even down to the Pantheon and Roman Forum. The nearest metro stop is Barberini, which is about a 15 minute walk away. If your breakfast is not included in your room, I suggest hopping down to Pepy's, which is an open air cafe right on the Barberini Piazza next to the metro. A good breakfast for half the price of Romanico's.

I highly recommend this hotel. If you're OK with walking, you'll enjoy this beautiful hotel in a quieter section of Rome. If we ever come back to this city (let's hope those coins we threw in the Trevi fountain work), I would definitely consider staying here. It was a very good value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

Myself And my wife stayed at the hotel on our first visit to Rome. We both thought that the hotel was excellent. When we arrived we were met by English speaking staff who were very helpful.
The hotels location is excellent you are 15 to 25 minutes walk to all the sights with the exception of the vatican. This can be reached from the underground which is also a short walk.
To have breakfast on the room is amazing and again the staff can't help you enough.
If we ever go back to Rome we would both stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

After travel around italy we return to rome again. we find hotel romanico .good location and decor. we stay for 2 nites. every think is pay in extra like Wi Fi 10 euros for 3 hours, breakfast 20 euro for person and very simple continental breakfast we rit the road and find a cafe for a breakfast .I am pickyee about food not simple breakfast can make me Happy.I think i can stay again . also wifi not work in 4 floor i need go to main room to use my laptop

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Me and my partner spent 4nights at the hotel which is right in the heart of Rome and is very clean and tidy. When we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed and took to our room which we upgraded for 120 euros. As a typical women my partner was taking ages to get ready so i went down to the bar to wet my whistle and met a gentleman by the name of Valerio who not only was extremley friendly and helpful but also had a fantastic personality and nothing was to much trouble for him. He recommended some excellent bars, trips and resteraunts. We would defos stay her again and hope to see Valerio there when we do!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, MT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed at this hotel because it was nearby another hotel i had reserved that ended up not being open and ready for my arrival. the staff here are wonderfull and i had a great time here. it is centrally located in Rome which make most of the attractions within an easy walking distance. the only issue i had was with my keycard not working to let me in to the enterance way to my hotel room but it makes for a good story to tell.

Room Tip: rooms are spacious and beautifull