“Cramped, not best location. Better value elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Bolognese
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Palestro, 15, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #954 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Brisbane, Australia
“Cramped, not best location. Better value elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Location is a bit far from most sights etc but close to metro so easily accessible rest of Rome.
Entry is not on street level, but buzz the door bell for entry to 2nd level.
Stayed with a group, but was placed in an apartment in another building due to space. Very limited breakfast of coffee and plain bread roll, even by European standards.
Mixed reports about staff being friendly and helpful, then abrupt and arrogant.
I can't comment on rooms in main hotel which should be the focus of the review.
1night stay.
Accommodation standard is basic.
Wouldn't recommend. Plenty of other hotels that are better value, better location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I came to Rome after staying in an apartment in Abruzzo, which was peaceful, quiet and clean with really caring owners. I spent 2 nights at the Bolognese, what a contrast, there was a hair on the toilet seat when I arrived, the shower ran hot and cold,when I discussed this with the owner she came to the room and said it was all right!!, so my suggestion is if you don't get up early enough there is no hot water. The tollet did not work properly and was noisy, the door was banging and noisy when other guests came in, and the breakfast was a joke, Also when we arrived it was quite late and there was no lights on in the hall way so we couldn't see the numbers on the security buttons to open the door!!! I know it was only 2 star but really I expect better than this. The only thing I can think of in its defence was that it is in a good location close to Metro and good places to eat, but when I go back to Rome I will definitely find another hotel, and there are lots in the same area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Belper
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed for two nights as part of a Cosmos tour, my advice to anyone staying on a Cosmos tour is don,t tell the staff you are with Cosmos because the moment they know that their attitude to you changes and you become a second class guest, you are not allowed the complimentary free tea and coffee "you cosmos not for you only other guests", you cannot charge anything to your room "you cosmos you pay now" and even if you want some ice "you cosmos 2 euros" if you want to use the pool that will be 10 euros.On our first night the towels in the bathroom were fabulous ,on the second day they were changed for old tatty towels with holes! obviously cosmos towels only.The second night included an evening meal, well I say meal it was the worst food I have ever been served in a Hotel, first course pasta with very little or no sauce, second course veal escalope in breadcrumbs barely cooked with six or seven chips no veg, lumpy creme caramel and coffee all served without even a smile , a request for a jug of water was met with not possible you pay for bottle , if you want a drink with this meal you pay now. The most miserable head waiter I have ever met, we were even screened of from other guests in the dining room. The breakfast was a free for all scramble again with miserable unhelpful and rude staff.

Room Tip: Don,t tell them you are on a tour party
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I’m doing Erasmus in Rome, and my first two weeks were spend in this hotel.
I was really afraid, because I had read some bad reviews about this hotel and I’m used to 4* Hotels but in rome the hotels are a little expensive.
But then was really perfect for me, the staff is really nice, the location is great – metro station about 10 minutes away, bus stop with a bus to the city center at the door, so 15 minutes by bus or metro to the coloseum (actually I liked it so much that I’m now living in the same street).
The bad parts... It’s not the most clean hotel I’ve been in, and it’s not very quiet but I guess it depends of the people that stay there during your stay.. the breakfast it’s not a big buffet, just something in a really small room, but was not bad and you have to remember that you are not in a 5* hotel...
If I return to rome (that I’m returning for sure) I’ll stay here again because I think the relation between price/quality is really good.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Bolognese? Share your experiences!