“Simple but good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Little Italy B&B
via Ferruccio 30, Int 27, 00185 Rome, Italy (Esquilino / Termini)   |
Ranked #1,036 of 2,892 Rome B&B and Inns
Rom
“Simple but good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Little Italy suited me very well. It is situated in a big flat in an old house with some atmosphere and is very close to the metro.
The room was simple but clean and spacious, with comfortable beds and a little fridge.The only thing I missed was better reading lamps.
Breakfast was ok and I also found it an advantage to have access to the kitchen at all times.
Renée is also a friendly and accomodating host.

Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

A perfect place to stay in Rome for all! Rene was the best. He was so helpful and welcoming. The rooms were very clean and all the major sights are only a walking distance. Not expensive at all and we felt like we were at home. There is everything you need except for internet but there is an internet cafe near by as well as laundrette. We will be going back to stay at the Little Italy B&B soon!
Thanks Rene!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Nelson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

This bed and breakfast is great value for money and located a couple of minutes walk from the Metro and buses and is central to most attractions. Our host Rene was a fantastic host who endeavoured to see that all our needs and wants were covered. He spoke seven languages and had a brilliant sense of humour.
Our room was basic but clean with comfortable beds, a mini fridge, television and a fan (on request). Breakfast was communal and well catered with fresh rolls every day.
We will definitely use this B & B when we return to Rome and would recommend it to all our friends.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I stayed twice at the Little Italy, at the beginning of my month in Italy, and at the end, and it was fantastic. Very comfortable and spacious rooms in a very convenient location. Only 10 mins to Termini and the Colosseum in the other direction. The beds were incredibly comfortable (more so that many other 3 star places I stayed in during my trip). The street is very quiet, perfect for getting a good night's sleep, and I walked around there at night on my own quite a bit and was perfectly fine. Really easy to walk to all the main sites, or get the metro. Rene is great, speaks about half a dozen languages fluently and is a font of knowledge. I'll definitely go back there when I find myself back in Rome.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

I found this nice little place through the internet!
At first it was a bit creepy cause the building looked very
old on the outside, but what a surprise we got
when getting in! It was very nice furnitured, clean and cosy.
The manager was very nice and gave us a lot of helpful information about Rome. For a bed & breakfast it was OK!
Breakfast was already served when waking up, good coffee!
It was a 5min walk from Termini, near a very transit street (Merulana) and with restaurants and very nice places to see/visit like the Colosseum.
My bed was not so comfortable, though.
I gladly recommend this B&B!

• Liked — Cheap and central
  • Disliked — My bed was a bit hard and a very tiny lift!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

First off, while this place is very convenient to Rome's main train station (Termini), sometimes there is a tradeoff. In many cities (Rome being one of them), the area around the main train station isn't necessarily the best area to have your accommodations.

The hotel's neighborhood felt a bit "depressed". I was not inclined to sit out at any of the neighborhood cafes or eat at any of the restaurants nearby. Mind you I don't need to be in the popular parts of the city, or the touristy areas; I don't mind being in a place a bit more out of the way or "neighborhoody". But this area just felt a bit "depressed".

Nonetheless, the hotel is one block from a metro station, and so you can easily get to other/nicer parts of Rome in just a few minutes.

The building is very secure and clean. However, there were a few areas where the B&B could use improvement. First off, my room (and presumably all the other rooms) had no window shutters OR heavy drapes to block out the oppressive summer sun. The only thing the windows had were very sheer curtains. As a result, my room "cooked" all day from the sun and the heat in the room was intolerable. In addition, while I knew the room would not have air conditioning, how difficult or costly would it be to give the guests a fan in their room? Trying to sleep in the room on an August night was unbearable, not only due to the heat that had built up during the day, but no air circulation (due to the tight, enclosed courtyard outside my one window which ensured I would get no type of breeze).

There was alot of outside noise as others mentioned, and it seems that this is a result of voices etc echoing within the walls of the courtyards. Fortunately however, the noise did not seem to be excessively loud during my sleeping hours.

In the half of the apartments where my room was located, there was a door to access the apartments from the main corridor. This door had about 5 different locks on it, only one of which was working and for which you were given a key. The problem however came about when I first tried to EXIT through that door. I was faced with an array of bolts, latches, knobs etc, and had no idea which one to turn in order to exit. Since I was the only person in the apartment at the time, there was no one to ask for guidance, so I ended up trying every lock and in the process, locked myself in, unable to correct the situation. Not yet having a working local cellphone to call the proprietor, I had no choice but to bang on the door, hoping that someone outside would hear me. The proprietor did come shortly to let me out, and then said it should have been very "obvious" which latch to pull. I suggested that he might want to put a sign with an arrow on the door, telling guests exactly which latch to pull in order to exit the apartments. The very next day, a newly arrived guest had the exact same problem and locked themselves in. Fortunately, I was there to show them how to get out!

The proprietor was very helpful with suggestions and made himself very much available to the guests, which is nice when you are in a foreign place.

Breakfast each morning was nothing particularly fancy, but it was pretty much what you'd expect for an inclusive breakfast (cereal and milk, fresh bread with various spreads, coffee made from canned coffee grounds, and watered down juices from a carton).

I would stay here again, if only something was done to keep out the sunlight and/or fans were provided.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auckland New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

We stayed at Little Italy in transit back to New Zealand. Rene , (manager), is brillant - awesome email contact, and I had to ring him at one stage from NZ, he organsised a time to call and had us sorted. Yes it is a few blocks from the action, but we were two women travelling and felt very comfortable walkin around at night. A fab restaurant 200m away. It is on the 5th? level of an old building , yes there is a lift, - so away from noise, it is also on a quiet street with doubled glazed shutter windows - so very quiet. There is only a few rooms with 2 immaculate bathrooms, so we didn't see anyone else! Rene met us at LIttle Italy, he quickly sent us back to the train station - 10 minutes walk - to get our train ticket for the morning as he suggested there would be lines of people in the morning for the airport (11 Euro and takes 30 minutes) - takes you to departure gates. So easy. Hassle getting big suitcases up and down train stairs if travelling alone but can be done! Rene sets the table for the morning and turns up with hot bread rolls and coffee. Fruit juice and cereal included. Overall - Little Italy was a great base, Rene was an asset as it was our first visit to Rome and he was out with the map and full of advice. Would stay again. Thanks - Ciao.

• Liked — Rene the manager - very friendly and informative. Very clean and quiet.
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Little Italy B&B? Share your experiences!