“Excellent Tour of Ancient Rome” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours
Attraction Details
South Bend, Indiana, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent Tour of Ancient Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Taking a tour was unusual for me as I am an independent-minded (and impecunious!) traveler who likes to see the sights on my own. But I decided that some interpretation could really make a difference in experiencing the ruins of ancient Rome -- and I was right! I got so much out of my tour with Daniela. She is extremely knowledgeable and engaging, as well as being a genuinely friendly person who made us feel comfortable throughout the tour. The tour flowed well and all the stories and information were fascinating to me. I learned a ton and was able to imagine how glorious this place must have been. I felt the tour enriched my experience many times over, and I would highly recommend it.

Visited February 2012

Columbus, New Jersey, USA
“Best tour of Rome I have ever had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have been to Rome many times but this was my wifes first trip. We wanted a private tour and our hotel recomeneded Icon tours. Our guide Justin was great and we could not have asked for a better tour. We did the Vatican Tour, Early Christianity as well as Acient Rome. His knowlege of both the hisotry of acient Rome as well as the Roman Catholic church was impressive. Being able to have a personal conversation with our guide rather than wearing headphones and "herding" around the city was improtant to us and we were not disappointed. I would highly recommend Icon Tours and we will be using them on our next trip to Rome.

Visited September 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Divine Inspiration Tour was Divinely Led!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We met our tour guide, Anna, and were part of a group of 12 people, touring the Vatican Museum and ending just outside of St. Peter's. Anna was terrific! Had a thorough knowledge of much of the art in the Vatican Museum and gave interesting tidbits and highlighted some of the specifics of the Rafael Rooms and prepared us completely for entering the Sistine Chapel and for what to look for when there. Having a personalized transmitter/receiver set-up allowed Anna to talk to the group even though the rooms and galleries were crowded and teaming with other tourists.

We certainly felt that we received our money's worth, and felt sorry for those tourists who were walking through the Vatican Museum unescorted, for we knew they were just walking and looking, while we were learning. I would highly recommend ICON Tours to anyone planning to visit Rome.

John and Donna--Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Visited July 2011
“Icon Tours was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011 via mobile

Used Icon for two different tours during our recent stay in Rome. Booked the Vatican museum group tour and we found it to be very informative with an excellent tour guide.

Our 2nd booking with Icon was a private tour of ancient Rome. Daniela wax our tour guide and she was excellent. It was my wife's birthday and it turned out to be a very special day. Daniela didn't try to hurry us at all and was very attentive to all our questions. Even after a long day and the ATM machines not working (so we could pay her) was no problem! Also thank you to the owner of Icon, Angela who also gave us several resturant suggestions!

Tel Aviv
“A bad experience with a good ending”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

I have booked a Rome Forum tour with Icon after reading the comments on the site and visiting their web site. I was under the impression that the tour will be of the highest quality and would be a wonderful way to learn more about the Roman Forum and its important sites.

The tour we were given suffered from the following problems:

- The tour guide's English simply terrible, My husband's mother tongue is English and he simply could not understand a word she was saying, I was able to figure out maybe 20% of the words, this alone made the tour a real suffering

- The tour skipped all the major sites of the forum

- Arriving to Titus gate, our tour guide has made some embarrassing mistakes regarding the revolt of the Jews against the Romans, Being from Israel, we know a thing or two about this , and we were shocked to hear such wrong facts , repeated twice, such as ,when the revolt started, why it started and how long it lasted.

At this point we gave up and left the tour after one hour, feeling betrayed and quite mad to be honest.

We took the time to write to Icon and share with them all of the above.

Icon admitted that the tour guide was indeed a substitute (since the original guide was sick or something) , she was not someone they have worked with before and that they are shocked like we are since they got really good recommendations about her.

They offered to fully refund our money and have done so promptly via PayPal.

The bottom line here is: I would try Icon tours again on my next visit to Rome, I feel that they strongly believe their product and fully stand behind it. I feel that they realize they have done a mistake and corrected it right away. I was impressed by their customer service and attention to details once we have made out complaint.

Been to Icon Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Icon Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later