“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #564 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We (me, my partner and 10 years old son) spent in this hotel 4 days. I didn't expect nothing luxurious when paid £150 with breakfast and I have been really nice surprised. The room and bathroom specious, and clean. Shuttle bus is a fantastic idea, and we used this service everyday with no problems at all (always on time). WiFi works fine in the whole building. The only issue was the breakfast - tasty but monotony. Rome is beautiful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Great rooms, clean and spacious.
Food average. But so cheap. Stayed in worse hotels in Italy at 3 times the price!
Definitely come back next time I fly into Ciampino.
Only 40 euros, huge double bed, decent mattress, can't fault it at the price!

• Stayed January 2013
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The rooms are really spacious, spotlessly clean and warm. The beds are large and very comfortable, perfect for a good night's rest after the long hours spent walking around in dreamy Rome. The hotel staff are very helpful, breakfast is very good and the hotel restaurant offers great dishes in reasonable prices. Even the hotel shop is very good, with nice little things to bring back home without having to spend a fortune.
The only tiny drawback is the location. Although the public bus stop (bus to the closest metro stations rather than to the city centre, mind you!) is right outside the hotel's entrance, the closest metro station is about 2-3 kilometres away. So, there is a bit of discomfort there. Of course there is the hottel shuttle bus which is brilliant, if only it was more frequent.
I would definitely recommend Hotel Capannelle to others, I would stay there again actually because I honestly believe that no hotel with such great value for money could be found in the city centre of Rome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Visited in Dec '12

We booked this place because we thought it was better to stay a night close to the airport since we arrived late. Unfortunately location is not exactly "close" to the airport and taxi drive costs approx 15 - 25 euros. All in fairness, they do offer free shuttles; however visit hitel site before as there are only very limited service.

Overall however, hotel is ok: big rooms, free wifi, nice people, and average breakfast. Appreciated the good email communication prior to arrival.

I think it would be best for people with cars. If not it would be better to travel into Rome regardless of how late you check in. However, if you do come around the times when shuttles are provided, it can really work out and save a good bit of money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I grabbed a bargain of a 4* hotel with wifi and buffet breakfast included, but unfortunately there were quite a few issues. My first problem was finding the hotel in the dark on a Sunday night. I had e-mailed the hotel prior to departure for travel information via public transport and was informed which metro stations to travel to and which buses to use. Unfortunately I was not given a bus stop name so I called them via telephone when on the correct bus and after three attempts my call was finally answered and I was advised to get off at the 'Appia Claudio' stop. I did this but could see no sign of the hotel so I asked a local petrol salesman to help. He had never heard of the hotel or street it is situated on so I called the hotel once more. This time it took four attempts before they answered and I was eventually informed that I was 1 kilometre from the hotel and that I needed to either walk (which I was not prepared to do as a lone female traveller at night) or wait for the next bus and travel a little further but that they were unsure of the name of the stop. Luckily an elderly lady was on the bus who had lived in England, knew where I wanted to go, explained it to the bus driver (who spoke no English whatsoever) and asked him to let me know when to get off. Her English wasn't great but I understood that I needed to keep the church on my left once off the bus. I was dropped off at the 'Appia Squillace' stop and saw the church she had mentioned and walked keeping it on my left as told but still saw no sign for, or of, the hotel. Fortunately some people were leaving the church so I asked them and they indicated that I needed to continue walking ahead and then take the first left and continue for a further 500 metres. The hotel itself is tucked in between houses and there are no signposts. Check in went smoothly and I was allocated my room (247) so I went upstairs to unpack and returned downstairs to take advantage of their menu of the day offer which consisted of three courses of good quality food for a very good price. On return to my room I found that the toilet flush would not work so I reported this and they immediately tried to fix it but were unsuccessful. I had to repack my bag and was moved to another smaller room (359), took no notice of the room as I was extremely tired at this point having travelled all day, unpacked my bag and then went to plug in the charger for my mobile phone. The electrical socket was hanging out of the wall and far too dangerous to use and it was only then that I noticed many other issues with the decor that were unacceptable for a 4* establishment. I took photographs of all of the problems and showed them to the staff at reception, informed them that I was not going to pack my bag again that night but that I would like to be moved in the morning and suggested a compensatory upgrade. In the morning I was moved to an executive suite (447) but the room was very cold so I tried to adjust the thermostat but it was not working. I went back downstairs to report this and they said that it was a known issue and that they had to fix the problem in the room downstairs and would do so whilst I was at breakfast, which they did. On my return to the room the thermostat was set at 30 degrees but I was able to turn it down to a more acceptable temperature. On my return to the hotel after a day in the city my room was a little chilly so I attempted to increase the temperature but the thermostat was not working again. I then went to take a bath before bed and found that the plug was unattached and extremely difficult to keep in place as it was simply a metal disc which should have been attached to a mechanism to be raised and lowered via a dial. Unfortunately at this point I gave up with the issues and making complaints regarding my rooms and decided to put up with things as they were for the remainder of my trip. The hotel is very clean and decorated to a high standard in the communal and dining areas. The level of English spoken by staff was thankfully of an adequate standard as I speak no Italian and they were always polite, friendly and helpful (besides those I spoke with when on the bus trying to locate the hotel!), especially the waiting staff. Breakfast was plentiful and varied (Scrambled egg, bacon, ham, cheese, sliced bread and rolls, jams and spreads, various pastries, fresh fruit, yoghurts, fruit juices and tea and coffee) and of excellent quality. The hotel offer a free shuttle service to two different metro stations (Colli Albani and Cinecitta) and Ciampino Airport at several times during the day but unfortunately the one and only day I decided to use this service the coach would not start so eventually some other guests and I gave up and walked to take the bus. I knew that the hotel was situated a considerable distance from the centre of the city (45 minutes on average by public transport) before I booked it which I found to be no problem as I had also read about a weekly transport pass (C.I.S.) which covers unlimited travel on buses, trams and metro within the city for a seven day period available from newsagents. However, I do feel that the hotel should provide more detailed information on bus stops to be used and consider signage on streets besides that directly outside. The other thing which the hotel do not tell you, and which is not mentioned on their website, is that the entrance to the Villa of the Quintilii is situated only a few metres from the Appia Squillace bus stop and is well worth a visit. It has an incredibly cheap entrance fee which is valid for 7 days and also covers entry to the Baths of Caracalla and the Mausoleum of Cecilla Metella. Perhaps now you can see why I have mixed feelings regarding this hotel as it had its pluses and minuses for me during my stay - great facilities and food all at a fantastic price but with inadequate directions and rooms which I found to be in need of repair and renovation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We were looking forward to our stay here as it seemed like a great deal for a nice looking, four star hotel. Unfortunately we found the hotel very average, with basic facilities. We moved from our first room (which was situated next to a large school group trip who were very noisy - running up and down the halls and banging on the door). A call to reception sorted this within about 30 minutes, and we requested a room change the following day. The staff were very lovely and highly professional regarding this, and it was sorted on the spot. The rooms are a fair size, but small things - like the toilet seat was broken, only half the toilet flush worked and the air conditioning in the room was broken and turned on and off of its own accord - really let the hotel down.

It is a bit of a trek into Rome itself, make use of the free shuttles that run (mainly in the morning) into one of the metro stations (Colli Albani), and jump on the Metro (A Line) from there to Roma Termini. To get to the Colosseum/Palatine Hill you will then need to change to the Metro (B Line). Do keep in mind there are two shuttles, one of which is very small, and if it happens to be full when you want to catch it, it will leave without you! Should this happen you then need to catch one of the buses - we found the 664 and 663 helpful - to the metro station and continue from there. If you don't mind the travel time, this will only cost you a total of 1.50 euros each way.

Breakfast is included in the room rate, and is open from 7am to 10am - aim for around 8.30/9am - much later than this and your options will be fewer. The restaurant in the hotel is extremely limited, not very good value and the staff weren't particularly friendly. There is a small market and a bigger supermarket within 5-10 minutes walking distance, but aside from that, not many other places for food. On a side note, the city tax is an additional 3 euros per person, per night. On a next trip to Rome, we would definitely stay closer to the city!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Everything about this hotel was convenient and good value.
We were able to leave our cars for two weeks in the locked underground car park for no cost and the reception service was friendly and informative.
It had not been clear on line that the airport transfer service was only available from 7 am onwards but a taxi was courteously ordered for us.
However, the meal was most disappointing. Poor service and indifferent food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Hotel Capannelle? Share your experiences!