“Rescued from disaster, then treated like Royalty! THANK YOU!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Rosetta
Via Cavour, 295 scala B/1, Rome, Italy (Monti)   |
Ranked #197 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Fargo, North Dakota
“Rescued from disaster, then treated like Royalty! THANK YOU!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

In late January we booked a 15 night transatlantic cruise from Fort Lauderdale, and planned to spend two nights in Rome post cruise, before flying home. We were torn between a standard, "big name" hotel, and a more interesting/culturally-immersive stay in a neighborhood B&B. We opted for the latter and booked through Hotels.com during the first week of February.

UNFORTUNATELY, we did NOT book with Hotel Rosetta but a nearby competitor. We received, printed, and packed our confirmation from Hotels.com. As another indicator of THEIR great service, while on the cruise, we received an email informing us that our reservation was confirmed, and no further action was necessary. All set, and good to go... or so we thought.

Our Shuttle driver dropped us at the door to this other establishment, helped unload our 4 pieces of luggage, and continued on his way. It was only then that we were told by the hotel manager that WE had CANCELLED our reservation, (I can ASSURE you this was NOT the case) and that no room was available! THIS was the moment when I started to get more than just a little concerned, and when my girlfriend started to panic.

FORTUNATELY... a VERY gracious gentleman, who owns a musical instrument repair shop next door, took pity on us and made several phone calls on our behalf. Just two minutes later he gave me directions to walk about half way around the (very small) block from where we were. At the end of that short, two minute walk, I found Hotel Rosetta and salvation!

At the front desk, I met an absolutely WONDERFUL young lady named Francesca, who quickly earned the well deserved moniker of "Ambassador Extraordinaire" for Rome in general, and her family-run Hotel in particular. She insisted I visually inspect the room prior to accepting it, and was almost apologetic that it was the largest (and ONLY) room remaining, and that the price might be higher than we would like. It WAS quite a bit larger than what we needed, but NEED it we did, AND it was only 10 euro per night more, than the room we had booked! It was also nicely appointed, comfortable, quiet, and SPOTLESSLY clean. (The ONLY thing keeping me from rating our experience a 5 was a mattress somewhat firmer than our liking.)

Hotel Rosetta is in a fantastic location less than two blocks from the Roman Forum and most major bus routes, AND less than four blocks from the Colosseum. There are HUNDREDS of quaint shops and restaurants in LESS than a 5 minute walk in any direction!

For the next two days Francesca and her family helped us with planning our sightseeing excursions, bus routes, restaurant recommendations, and taxi service to the airport. I simply can NOT say enough about the INCREDIBLY friendly and helpful service we experienced at Hotel Rosetta. I would stay there again in a heartbeat! Once again... THANK YOU!

(And if all that wasn't enough, the most delicious gelato I have ever tasted is right across the street! ENJOY!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank navyrotorhead

Booneville Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. It is a great location and I was loaned a hair dryer so I didn't have to take one to Rome. The accomodations are simple but all one could want as most of our time was spent touring. There is a bus stop across the street from the hotel to help you get around. We didn't know this and walked to the hotel from Termini Station. We returned to Termini Station by bus with our luggage when we departed Rome. Cavour is a busy street with lots of shops and restaurants. The gelato we ate for supper every night. I miss it already. The hotel supplied a map of Rome with the main sites listed that we wanted to tour. I can't say enough about the service and the location of this hotel. It is a great value for its location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MagnoliaMS101
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in while traveling. The location was prime, literally down the road from the Colosseum and also near a subway stop. We arrived early and our room was not quite ready, so we left our bags and went to explore. When we returned, the young man working at the front counter carried our bags up to our room on the second floor, which we greatly appreciated. The space in the hotel was perfect. The staff was more than friendly throughout our 3 night stay. We realized on the first night we forgot our converter in Florence and were loaned one from the front desk. They also helped us make reservations at the Vatican Museum. We had a wonderful stay, if I am ever back in Rome I will be staying here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jessica K
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The rooms are basic, but you wouldn't want to be spending much time in it with the Colloseum just at your doorstep? The street where the hotel is has lots of restaurants to choose from, an internet cafe is nearby as well as a laundry which is helpful if you have been travelling around for a period of time. The staff was extremely helpful, even though you knew they were struggling with their English they still will offer help and point you to the right direction. Will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: I got a good deal by contacting the hotel directly!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Freshjive_Adelaide
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This hotel is great value in a great location. We caught the train from the airport and walked there, although you can get closer taking the subway to the Cavour / Colesseo subway stop. We didn't even notice the view of the Colosseum down a side street while walking there. Next morning we set of and a few hundred metres down the road you are at the Roman Forum. Not far down the road is the Colosseum. We had this as our base and walked around Rome.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rich-Megs
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The location:
- dont take the cab to this place unless youve got lots of people and bags. SOO expensive. bus ride is short 15 mins max
- 5min walk to Colosseum
- 25min stroll to Vatican (we're relatively fit) you can take the subway but the walk is sooo much more fun if you have the time
- be careful going to any place to eat, you'll be full but if you know what real Italian food tastes like you'll have to look to find quality. Very touristy which is understandable ITS COLOSSEUM! I suggest you walk out of Rosetta, walk right a few steps till you reach the first alley to your right, walk through and turn right again. we went to a few places along this alley and they were all superb. Some of them more upscale and you have to make reservation for so make sure you do that ahead of time.
- If you want to get to Colosseum turn right when exiting Rosetta, much shorter distance and (unlike if you go left ) you dont get into a roman warrior photo trap, unless thats what you want of course. It just a bunch of guys all dressed, up barricading the only narrow entrance and physicaly pulling you into taking pics with them and then making you pay.

Room:
- very clean
- not big, but you only sleep there
- shutters helped nap (we traveled from overseas so naps were important)
- bathroom nice and renovated, but the sound insulation is lacking. we could hear people showering and flushing quiet well in the room next door. a little awkward.

Staff:
- very friendly
- main lady is very nice and speaks english, my italian is very poor
- older lady does not speak english, but we only saw her once or twice in four days we were there
- the gentelman there helped us with our bags ( a flight of stairs to climb only, but still)
- if you need help finding stuff, ask them, they are happy to help you find it and mark it on a near map you can take with you SOOOOO IMPORTANT TO HAVE THAT is youre not familiar with Rome. Dont buy a map, theirs is perfect enough. If you want to get to Colosseum turn right when exiting Rosetta, much shorter distance and (unlike if you go left ) you dont get into a roman warrior photo trap, unless thats what you want of course. It just a bunch of guys all dressed up barricading the only narrow entrance and physicaly pulling you into taking pics with them and then making you pay.

Who we are:
- a couple 25-35
- travel to both fancy and rough/advantour places

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pinablanca
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Rosetta for 9 nights in late October / early November of 2012. Its main advantages are its low price, superb location near the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trajan's Forum, and the Metro, along its cleanliness and friendly staff. I was also surprised at the size of the room. I've had many smaller rooms in Europe; this one was not as tight as many. My room had a large bed (I think it was a double, but it might have been two twins), a closet with drawers at the bottom, and had air conditioning. The bathroom was quite small, especially the shower, but was always immaculate. This was all for 70 euros per night for only me, in a fantastic location!

It was great to be only two blocks walk from the Colosseum or the Roman Forum, with all the pedestrian night traffic. There were several good restaurants nearby; my favorites were Ciardi Bar Pasticceria for breakfast (up Via Cavour, on the left, about 1/4 the way to the subway station), and Taverna Romana and Wanted for supper, both of them on Via della Madonna dei Monte, the street behind the hotel.

The workers at the hotel were very helpful to me, arranging my e-ticket for Villa Borghese, the Vatican, a behind-the-scenes tour of the Colosseum, and getting a taxi for my trip back to Termini train station when I departed.

Beside the very small shower, my only complaint was the noise below my room from people on the street, but I sleep with earbuds which removed the sound and made it a non-issue for me.

To get to the hotel from Termini, when you arrive, you can take the Blue Metro one stop to the Cavour stop, but that will involve hauling all your luggage up a flight of steps to get out of the Cavour station, then walking the distance of two long blocks to get to the hotel. I'd suggest paying a 10-euro taxi fair instead; it's a much more pleasant way to arrive unless you're up to those challenges. Without luggage, of course, it's an easy trip from the Cavour Metro stop to the hotel.

If you're walking from the Cavour Metro stop to the hotel, stay on the North side of Via Cavour, cross Via de Serpente (the street with the traffic light), then look for the yellow neon Trattoroa sign running up the building. The first door after that sign leads into the hotel's courtyard. Ring the bell on the left side of the door to get in. Once in, go through the hallway, then straight across the courtyard and up the steps to the entrance to Hotel Rosetta, on the left side of the first landing.

If I go back to Rome, and I hope I do, I'll definitely stay at the Hotel Rosetta again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo