“Nice place.” 4 of 5 stars

Via varese 33/31, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #1,037 of 2,884 Rome B&B and Inns
“Nice place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Enjoyed my stay here. Everything was working perfect. Loved the including breakfast. Met some really nice people on the hostel. Thank you! Would definitely recommend this place for anyone who wants to stay near the center.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Angouleme, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I spent a week in Rome staying at Funny Palace and was really happy with my time at the hostel, and of course in the city!

The team; Eric, Mabri and everyone else were really accommodating and helpful! :) I was actually meant to change room several times as I was staying there 7 nights, but Eric kindly arranged it so that I could have the same room and bed the entire time :)

The room was surprisingly nice, much better than I expected having booked the dormitory with the most people possible, but I was welcomed to a nice 3 bed mixed room :)

It was really in a good location, and super convenient to have the free internet down in the laundromat - which was a much more comfortable set-up than I'd anticipated, and of course the free wifi in the rooms which were just around the corner.

We had a free map and explanation of bus routes, tourist attractions, practical advice, free nice breakfast around the corner at Caffetteria Spinelli, and also a free meal (I think it was a free meal, I didn't actually end up using the card) at a restaurant also nearby :D The team takes care of your laundry and is open convenient hours so you can leave it and pick it up as you please.

The only little issue I had was the locker not working very well, it's a combination lock so I was relieved as I'd forgotten to take a padlock, but had to ask to get it fixed, but Eric happily helped fix it!

Free hire of towels and hair-dryer, and accommodation cleaned and sheets changed everyday.

The free bottle of nice red wine was the icing on an already wonderful cake!

I met some awesome people staying in the hostel too, and I highly recommend it, I will be back! :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

A rock solid hostel in a very central part of Rome right near the main train station which give easy access to the airport, the metro and buses all over the city. The highlight for me was the large wooden doors at the entrance; such a stately feel. The staff were incredibly helpful and did everything they could to help me get the most out of my time in Rome. The rooms and bathroom was were clean and tidy. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sturgis, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The staff was amazing! The guy stayed late because our flight was delayed and we couldn't get in until 11. He was very understanding and even told us some cool shortcuts for the city. A complimentary wine and free breakfast. The breakfast is amazing and really nice. My friends and I split a 5 person room and were amazed at the size of it. It was really spacious and we only had to share the bathroom with another room. The only bad thing was the shower and lack of hand soap but other than that great place. It was right next to the train station.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Bed bugs! Was told to either stay in same bed or go to another hostel when i asked for help. The "owner" was utterly unprofessional, he kept on denying the problem. I only got bitten after second night, clearly from this hostel. When i finally found another hostel coz i had enough of his hostility, he only refunded me 27 out of 37 euros i paid for the night. The way they (mabri) deal with issues is simply wrong.

He simply rudely shushed me away.

• Stayed June 2014
Harrogate, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My two friends and I stayed at the Funny Palace for 2 nights. The hostel is near the train station, and within close proximity of several restaurants. Our room was upgraded, we were given towels, and a bottle of wine, all free of charge. Within moments of arriving we were briefed of the entire city with a map, color coated with highlighted paths, where to go and what we needed to see. We also got a discount on laundry, which was clutch after hand washing for 10 days. The accommodations were the best of our 3 weeks abroad, and I would 100% recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Santiago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The rooms were comfortable , it was a little odd at the beginning since the check in is in a laundromat and the rooms 1 block from there, not sure where the other rooms were. Once we were in our room we felt comfortable. The location was fine, there were some good places for eating. Termini is not a beautiful place for me ,specially at night, I can't say it was safe or not, we did not have any problems.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Funny Palace? Share your experiences!