“Comme ci, comme ça . . . . .” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #455 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Apex, North Carolina
“Comme ci, comme ça . . . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

This suburban hotel has both positive and negative aspects related to its large size for hosting conventions, but is poorly located for leisure travelers.

On the plus side, guest rooms are clean, comfortable, and well-appointed with plush bedding consistent with US-based Marriott properties. The basement-level executive lounge, accessible by Marriott Gold / Platinum members, maintains a good supply of soft drinks, coffee, and light snacks (peanuts, fruit, etc) all day. As a Gold member I was upgraded to a room with 1.5 bathrooms (bathroom #1: sink / shower / toilet; bathroom #2: sink / tub). Also, the hotel restaurant is well-located in an open-air lobby and provides a pleasant open dining space.

On the minus side, the hotel seems to suffer from sporadic customer service issues. The front desk seems to be chronically understaffed: at both check-in and check-out, I waited 15 minutes for 2 desk personnel to service a line 5 or more people deep. As for breakfast, we arrived for Sunday morning breakfast at 10:00 but found the €27 buffet about 75% depleted, despite a posted closing time of 11:00. The wait staff were super-attentive to clearing used dishes from tables, almost annoyingly so. However, restocking the buffet appeared to be lower priority. Also, the onsite third-party transport company that provides FCO-to-hotel transfers (fee applies) did not show up for one of its stated pick-up times, so we waited 40 minutes for a shuttle ride from FCO. My complaints upon arrival were greeted unreceptively by snippy shuttle staff based at the hotel, but Marriott staff helped me negotiate some compensation.

The largest problem with this hotel for tourists is the hotel's location. The only public transport option is via bus 128 for connections to the FL1 (Muratella) or to metro line B (bus stop Baldelli; near metro B stop Basilica San Paolo). The FL1 lines stop running between 22:00 and 23:00; one Saturday night in Rome, we arrived at Ostiense Station to find the last two FL1 runs to Muratella unexpectedly cancelled. We would have been stranded had we not figured out how to make it to Baldelli to take bus 128 back to the hotel. Also, bus 128 runs with greatly reduced frequency late in the evening, creating a potentially long wait for transport back to the hotel. As a result, we found our evenings in Rome cut short due to the limited transportation options. And, reliability issues we faced with the onsite third-party shuttle made us wary of that option as well.

While this is a competent hotel for those with private transportation, I would not choose this hotel again for a tourist stay relying on public / hotel shuttle transportation options.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Rome Marriott Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear jcbyrum,

Thank for you taking the time to share your comment on or your experience at the Rome Marriott Park Hotel
We have reviewed your opinion and we are really sorry for the challenges you encountered during your stay.
In particular we will focus on our staff in order to guarantee a better service at the Front Desk; please be informed that the new Menu for the summer season will be soon ready with many tasty options. We would love to have your opinion on that.
We understand our location did cause you some difficulties to visit Rome and we are sorry we did not have the opportunity to help you organizing transfers and tours that could have eased it. We are glad you enjoyed our rooms and our Executive lounge which is especially dedicated to our Gold and Platinum members.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience.
Kind regards
Flavia Casini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I am a Marriott fan and have thoroughly enjoyed my stay in several of their hotels worldwide. Somehow my most recent experience with Rome Marriott Park Hotel was not good. Firstly I would like to advise travellers that IF their purpose of visit to Rome is sight-seeing then steer clearly away from this Hotel. Add to your room rate 10%tax + City Tax of 3Euros per person per night + 20 Euros return ticket cost to the city and back + 10 Euros return ticket from the airport to the hotel. Too man extras right?

Also the city shuttle drops you off not that close to the Vatican. It is a cool 10 minute walk from the bust stop to St.Peters Square at the Vatican. It is a 40 minute ride on this bus into the city from the Hotel if you don't hit traffic. The timings are also once every two hours starting 8 in the morning. The reason these seemingly small details are critically important is if you are planning to sight see Rome then you can see how disastrous staying at the Rome Marriott Park Hotel can be.

Now my experience (constructive criticism as I personally have always loved Marriott): There is nothing around the Hotel. And by nothing I mean nothing. Don't get carried away by comments to take a train to Muratella train station and then hop a bus for a 10 minute ride to the Hotel. It is not practical as even if you suceed in doing this marathon task the bus drops you off outside the Hotel Gate from where you have to walk at least an other 10 minutes to the Hotel Reception. It is also importantly not convenient. Now when you feel so stuck in this place you expect to at least have a good menu choice at the only Restaurant, right? But No! The menu in the only Restaurant is extremely basic. You literally end up with no choice.

And to make matter worse (spefic for the room I stayed) I was given a room that did not have (a) shower curtains (b) glass door to the tub and (c) the water did not drain from the tub quickly. These three reasons made my experience of having a shower more of a tension than a pleasure. (Room Number 6110). Lastly I was attending a conference and desperately wanted to press a shirt. The ironing board and iron box was requested around 1600hrs and was delivered literally after having to speak very firmly the next morning at 7am !!

The silver lining on the cloud was the staff. They were all very good, polite, did their best to accommodate and I did not have a single incident where I felt they did not stack up to the true Marriott standard (barring the ironing board incident). Mind you that the person who handled the ironing board/box incident was very poiite though. His problem was he just couldn't help because they had a shortage!

Anyway I wish they (a) improve their menu at the restaurant, (b) provide free shuttle to and from the airport providing convenient connection to the fast train to Rome Termini, (c) have a small convenience store. Even then I would never recommend this Hotel for anybody who wants to sightsee rome. Best case would be if you are transiting and have an early flight to take.

Dear Satish N,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our services on Tripadvisor! We have been glad to host you and the whole staff is always more than happy to serve guests, particularly in case of difficulties, for which I would like to express our apologies. Thanks to the feedback received, we are now improving our ironing service. I would like to inform you that the new menu will be soon ready with many tasty options, adequate for the upcoming summer season. I hope you have enjoyed our conference facilities, in accordance to the business purpose of your trip; we would love to welcome you back in Rome. Waiting for your next visit,
Lake Orion, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed here for one night because we had an early flight to Prague in the morning. The hotel is not near any restaurants because it's in a business area, ie, Toyota plant. The bar and restaurant food were quite pricey but everything was great. Our room was very clean with a nice view but the air conditioning was horrible and the room was hot with a large window that did not open very wide. The shuttle to the airport was only 5 euros each which worked well for us. The morning breakfast spread was absolutely wonderful and was included with our stay. If you are going for an early flight, it's a good place to stay. I wouldn't recommend it if you are touring rome because it's 45 min on the train to the local attractions. The pool was something we would have liked to enjoy but it was 30 euros per person which at a hotel like this I found shocking and disappointing.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarah E,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Rome Marriott Park Hotel. The city center is easily reachable with our shuttle service that runs every 2 hours and drops you off near the Vatican City and the historical Centre.
We are glad you enjoyed our rooms and our restaurant and we will surely consider a review of list to better satisfy our guests needs and a check of our air conditioning system.
Our Jacuzzi indoor pool is part of the Wellness Centre “Our Spa”; the entrance fee of € 10 for Hotel guests includes the sauna areas, the emotional showers, the relax area together with the Jacuzzi.
Our outdoor pool is still closed but is free for our guest when open.
We hope you may have the opportunity to enjoy it during the summer season.

Once again, thank you for your precious feedback and for choosing the Marriott brand.
Santa Clara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Well, it's travel season again, and I just left Rome. We ended up staying at the this hotel. Upon arrival I was very excited. The property looks grand and I was really looking forward to a great hotel experience, as I have come to expect at many Marriott's. Roberta met us at check-in and is the best thing about this hotel. She is knowledgeable of the area and really took the time to explain the hotel, the amenities and the transportation into the city. She also explained and recommended several tours as well as places to eat and for entertainment.

But overall, I have to agree with many of the other reviews here. It was a disappointment. Overall, there really wasn't a lot that was good about the hotel. At best, most everything else was average. There are a lot of things that the hotel needs to work on, especially for being a Marriott. This would not be a place I would stay again if given the opportunity.

The good:
1. Housekeeping did a nice job with the room and of course we tipped. We had to ask once for the American "wash clothes," but once they knew we wanted them, they made sure we had a supply,
2. It's always great to have a frig in the room.
3. The executive lounge was great. We'd go down there to get wine and snacks as well as cold water for our room.
4. Really nice and deep tub!!! but not enough shower gel.
5. I was there for a work event, and the event manager (I don't have his name) was extremely helpful and friendly. Another staff member worth mentioning!!!

Things that need work:
1. The food is average at best, yet extremely pricey. One night my husband wanted a burger, but I wanted the risotto. We went to the restaurant and was told that we couldn't get a burger there, we had to go to the bar. Well the bar told us we couldn't get the risotto there.. He had to talk to the restaurant manager in order for us to get seated, and then the only place she would seat us was the first table in the worst section of the restaurant. I also wanted a grilled chicken breast on my risotto. I ended up with an entire chicken entree. I was told that the chef would not do the grilled breast and would only serve the entire entree. I could understand this if this food required someone with extreme culinary skills, but it did not.
2. The rooms was adequate. I could never figure out what all the light and power switches were for, and it was very confusing.
3. The air conditioner was inconsistent. Some days it would go down to 20C while others 17C. The fan wouldn't stay on and it was always warm in the room.
4. The desk area needs more power outlets. I had to charge my phones via USB plugs to my PC.
5. I didn't use the spa, but my husband did. One of the sauna's wasn't at the stated 105 degrees (room temp), and the ceiling was falling down. In the whirlpool there was tile falling down and mold. Also the pool was closed. It was definitely warm enough to have it open.
6. While we had good water presser on the 5th floor, but some co-workers on the 4th floor said the water pressure was horrible.

The BAD:
1. The bed was horrible. it was way too soft!!!
2. My Marriott profile states that I need the non-allergenic pillows (e.g., not feather). The room was not set up for this. We got into the room and started to get ready for a shower (after flying in from the states). The person came in to change the pillows and sheets. He just rang the buzzer and walked in. I was pretty much naked. This scenario happened again with the person checking the mini bar.
3. The lack of iron and ironing board in a business hotel. This is definitely unacceptable.
4. The distance to the city center! Some days it took an hour to get into the city due to traffic.. While it's nice they provide the shuttle, it is not nearly often enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the valley or the Pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Guest R, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Rome Marriott Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear AW,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Rome Marriott Park.Thank you for sending your review, that we have carefully read; our guests’ opinions are very important for us.

We understand there some aspects of our property and our service that should be improved and we will discuss them with the appropriate departments.

Our Shuttle to downtown runs every two hours from 8:00 am to 11 pm and it takes about 30 min to reach the city Center but we will consider implementing our transportation service to help our guests enjoy Rome easily.

We apologize if you encountered some difficulties at our restaurant; we intend the experience at the Brasserie to be surely relaxing and tasty; please be informed that the new à la carte menu will be soon ready for the upcoming summer season.

We are glad our Front Desk staff has been helpful and could advice you at best.
It has been a pleasure for Roberta to offer assistance to you.

We thank you again for your comment.
Kind regards
Roeselare, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

The location near the airport and the ring road of Rome may be ideal for a conference, but for the rest there is really nothing around. You need to take a taxi to the city center to see something. Count on 35 euro at least for a single ride. The hotel's shuttle bus is a better alternative.
The interior of the rooms feels very baroque. Half of the ceiling had come down (room 6037) and there was no TV linked to the wires. I informed the reception desk and although it was promised to get that solved the next day, no TV set showed up.
The lobby has the most bizarre mix of styles you can imagine and acoustics are terrible. If you decide to have dinner in the restaurant over there, bring some earplugs.

Dear folker_lamote,
Thank you for spending your time to rate our Hotel on Tripadvisor. We have been glad that you have chosen our property for staying at the Eternal City; unfortunately we didn’t meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me anytime; I will be glad to prepare a room that can fully and exceed your needs. Plase do come back soon.
Redland City, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

The best accommodation in Italy. It is amazing. Comfortable beds is a dramatic understatement. It isn't close to anything but the airport but that's what we needed and it was great. Staff are excellent. Room service is yummy. Airport transfer as well. 5/5 and 5 star.

Stayed June 2013
Nicosia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is not upto the chain's standard. The hotel itself is a terrible mix of modern architecture and classic interiors!
Service was overall below average. Some staff did however try hard (concierge, bar).
The hotel is in the middle of nowhere.
Rooms where ok although inside looked dated.
Price at €150 for a dbl was ok.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Marios X,

Thank you for stopping on Tripadvisor to share your experience with us. We are sorry that the appearance of the Hotel didn’t meet your ideal style; we usually get positive feedbacks, especially for the rooms. I do hope that you have been served the way our staff is used to. Please do come back soon, we will always be more than happy to make you feel “at home”.
Flavia Casini

Been to Rome Marriott Park Hotel? Share your experiences!