“The Perfect Boutique Hotel in Rome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Portrait Roma

You added Portrait Roma to your Saves list
Portrait Roma
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Bocca di Leone, 23, 00187 Rome, Italy (Formerly Portrait Suites) (Campo Marzio)   |
Ranked #3 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Lexington, South Carolina
“The Perfect Boutique Hotel in Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

I stayed here at the end of a tour through Tuscany and Umbria. We were impressed from the moment we arrived. The Reception area is on one of the upper floors, and was more like a living room than a Reception desk. We received a personal booklet holding things to see and so, but since we were only staying 1 night we did not really get to take advantage of these items. We arrived around 1pm and were able to get into the room immediately, and what a room it was!! Full kitchenette, dressing room, and all of the comforts of a luxury hotel, with the finest linens and accessories. There was a large flat screen TV, and lovely bathroom. Our room was overlooking Hermes on
Rome's finest fashion street, and we were steps away from every fine store on the planet!! A window shoppers/shoppers dream. The outdoor terrace overlooking the city was spectacular, and we enjoyed sitting up there at sunset and again in the morning to eat breakfast. I am looking forward to my next stay, which may just be a long weekend to Rome to enjoy this lovely hotel. I give this hotel one of my highest recommendations, and as you can see by my other contributions I do know what to expect from hotels of this caliber.

Room Tip: Book far in advance, as there are just a few rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed here in mid May and fell in love with this hotel. This immaculate boutique hotel in the heart of the action of Rome was a haven. The room was very tastefully decorated, with all the mod-cons, wifi, stereo, chargers for every electrical appliance imaginable. But is was the size of the room and the grand bathroom that really impressed. In a city where space is minimal and personal touches often overlooked, this hotel was a highlight. The staff were friendly, and remembered my name everytime I passed by the reception which was on the first floor. There were several different people on duty each day but all would say hello to me by name. They were also very helpful with recommendations and arranging a guide for me during my stay. The breakfast on the roof terrace was a delightful way to start each day. A small bar was also freely available in the evenings on the terrace overlooking the city.

The hotel is metres away from the Spanish Steps but there was no noise from the busy street below. The location was perfect and I walked to many of the must do locations around the city. If you are inclinded to shop all the main boutiques are on your doorstep.

The Portrait Suites is not a budget hotel. You pay for the privledge of staying here but it was well worth every penny!

If you love Rome, you will fall a little bit more in love with the city after you stay at the Portrait Suites.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

This was the first trip to Rome for my wife and I in 20 years and we decided to splurge a little - well, more than a little - but we felt it was well worth it.

Location first:
Just a minute or two from the Spanish Steps and the metro, and smack in the high class shopping area of Rome (which also makes it very safe : police almost always around). If you prefer the occasional do-it-yourself meals (as we do) there is a kitchenette in the room and a supermarket down the street . The cozy rooftop terrace allows you to chill out with a drink in the evenings and take in a splendid view of the eternal city. Lots of touristy looking restaurants (cannot vouch for them) in the vicinity too but the gelato around the corner is excellent.

Service,..
..was the best we have ever received anywhere in the world ! No matter how too trivial or unusual the request, every effort was made to accommodate us. Everyone (and we easily got to know everyone's name - it became that personal) was very concerned that we would have a good week's stay in Rome and indeed we did - grazie mille to all!

In summary:
Truly a gem of a hotel - and right now our favorite hotel in the world!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Portrait Suites is a very small, intimate, boutique hotel owned by the Ferragamo family. Service is top notch, location is excellent and the view fromt he rooftop terrace is spectacular. This would definitely be my choice for a top end hotel when visiting Rome. Breakfast is not a buffet, it is customized to your specific requests and served to you in your room or on the rooftop terrace. Rooftop terrace also has a well stocked honor bar where you mix your own drinks or ring for the bartender to come up and make the drink for you - - an excellent way to make sure you get exactly what you want. This was truly the most unique hotel I have ever stayed at - - I would absolutely go back

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Just back from a wonderful stay at this hip, chic And unique hotel in Rome. From the staff that catered to your every need, to the sexy rooms and suiites to the romantic rooftop oasis there is no better. If location is everything you have found everything. We have found our home away from home in the eternal city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

During our vacation in Italy last may we spent a few nights at the Portrait Suites in Rome. We really enjoyed our stay, this is a charming and beauty hotel with great staff. We will certainly be back next year and maybe try to enjoy some more sightseeings in Rome. Thanks again to all the staff for the warm welcome.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I went with massive expectations based on other traveller reviews on trip advisor, and my expectations in the main were met.

It took until the last day of our stay for the service to REALLY impress me, when I explained we had a late evening flight as I checked us out, the staff not only made the taxi arrangements as I asked, but also stored our luggage, and invited us to continue to come & go & make use of the roof terrace for the rest of the day.

A couple of minor improvements that could be made:
1/ There are no prices for the extensive mini-bar, I would prefer to know what I will be paying.
2/ The "honour bar" I had read about was not explained to us & I therefore did not feel comfortable using it - probably a particularly "English" attitude I know - again, literature in the room would have helped.

Roof terrace is brilliant, staff are pleasant, breakfasts are fabulous, rooms are gorgeous, location could not be better.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Portrait Roma? Share your experiences!