“Beautiful Room and Excellent Location” 4 of 5 stars

Il Gattopardo Relais
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Giulio Cesare 94, 00192 Rome, Italy (Prati)   |
Ranked #708 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Dublin
“Beautiful Room and Excellent Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

I have to say I was very very happy with our stay in the Il Gattopardo Relais hotel.
We arrived out of the taxi to the hotel door (Which doesn't stand out on the street at all ... press number 2 on the buzzer). After telling the lady at the desk we had a reservation the door was buzzed open and we walked up a winding marble staircase to the 1st floor (There's no lift so you'll have to carry those bags).
The hotel is on a single floor in the building with reception in the hall that all the doors face onto. Rooms are individually named and we stayed in the Lampadeza room (I think that's the spelling!).
The room was large with high ceilings (13 foot I'd say), much larger than anywhere I'd stayed in Paris for the same price. The fittings in the room have a definite Boutique style which I think the ladies will appreciate more than the men. The main thing was that the room felt quite lavish with plenty of space. The TV was a bit out of place but I'm ready to forgive that.
My only gripe about the room was that the bed was 2 smaller beds pushed together (which seems to be getting increasingly popular in budget hotels). The matresses were past the point of firm and getting to the point of hard.

The bathroom extended the sense of space with a large sink and mirror, a full bath and a shower run from the taps in the bath. The shower was very powerful unlike the weak dribbles you sometimes have to deal with.

I feel I should address the noise issue that another user here experienced. For our stay this was definitely not as big an issue. We did find that the door to the hall could do with some extra sound proofing but the noise coming through the door did not carry on through unsociable hours.
You can hear conversations being carried on in the reception area but we did not hear the receptionist typing or filing.
Unless the other guests keep particularly unsociable hours the noise is not going to be an issue.

The location is fabulous. Step out the door and walk to your left for 2 minutes. At the metro entrance turn right and walk ahead for a further 8 minutes and you walk directly into St. Peter's Square.
The metro line is 3 stops from the Spanish steps and 8 stops (including one change to linea B) from the Coloseum.

Altogether I was very very happy with this hotel and the location and I would gladly recommend it to anybody wishing to stay there. You will have to look to the other reviews for a description of the service as we madevery little use of the hotel staff other than to call a taxi one evening.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

All reviews except one on this site were very positive so I booked this hotel for a romantic getaway for myself and my wife. I'm afraid I didn't find this hotel to be what I would have expected given the reviews. I am honestly not one for ranting negatively but I need to give a brief detail of the issues I found with this hotel -

Main problem was the noise from the main corridor. We arrived late went straight to bed after a tiring flight for 9:30pm. The reception desk is a few feet from the bedroom door, in fact all bedroom doors! The person on recpetion had conversations on the phone and in person with other guests all night, right outside the door! We could hear every word that was spoken and no attempt was made to keep the noise down. Also while working on the computer and doing paper work we could hear everything. I accept fully that the person on reception needs to carry out their work but the proximity to all bedroom doors is always going to be a problem.

Our room happened to be next to the breakfast room, so no luck there. Breakfast started to be prepared at 7am and as a result we were woken with loud banging and the noise of the coffee grinder.

The room was spotlessly clean but was small and darkly grim. I accept that we arrived at night, but the room was depressingly dark and was not a place that I would have looked forward to coming back to after a long day in Rome.

As I said I would not have looked forward to coming back each day to this hotel and facing a night of disturbed sleep so myself and my wife checked out the next morning and moved to another hotel.

This hotel seems to be fine for the vast majority of guests so I would not rule out this hotel out based on my experience. It just wasn't for me. The noise in the main corridor was too much of an issue, it might be okay for you. We just could not sleep with the reception desk being so near to our bedroom door.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

After spending hours researching hotels in Rome, Italy I kept coming back to the Il Gattopardo Relais. The majority of the reviews on Trip Advisor were positive. I decided to go ahead with the booking and was not disappointed.

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, the staff could not do enough to help us. They were so friendly and accomodating. They even presented us with a bottle of champagne for our Honeymoon.

I would certainly reccommend this hotel to others. It is is a great location, close to the Vatican and a short cab ride or bus ride to other historical sites in Rome.

We would stay here again.

Mary

• Liked — Clean large room and Bathroom and of course the staff.
  • Disliked — Shower was a bit unusual, but that's the way they are in Eurpoe.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Great little hotel. Close to Vatican and tube station. Some nice restaurants nearby. Would also like to mention Maximus Tours with whome I booked several tours. My friend has some health issues and Joanne the guide was very kind and allowed us to go at his pace. She was also very informative and we enjoyed her knowledge and company and she made the Vatican experience even more exciting.

• Liked — Closeness to the Vatican
  • Disliked — The two flight of steps (No lift)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
medford, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

I would recommend Il Gattopardo Relais to families, honeymooners or couples who just want to see the sights of Roma. It is in a great area of the city. 10 minutes from the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. A block away from the train station to see other sections of the city. I would consider this "hotel" a townhouse. My family of 4 stayed in the residence and booked two rooms. The rooms are large with king beds and the bathrooms are a good size and clean. The folks who man the small reception area outside of your rooms go out of their way to help you. It is a complete change from staying at a big corporate hotel. It is quaint yet very charming. We were very pleased to have stayed in this jewel and if we ever visit Roma again we will stay here.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Marche, Italia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

We made our reservation by phone as the hotel online reservation system doesn't allow for two rooms to be reserved together, you have to made one reservation per room. They said the they had rooms available ad asked for a confirmation e-mail, which was sent immediately. The following day, we got a reply stating that our rooms were reserved during the night by an online travel agency, with immediate payment, so we should find another hotel. Very good treatment !

Stayed June 2008
edinburgo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

perfect location for touring the vatican and is only yards from the ottaviano metro. the hotel is set in a residential block occupying the first floor. the hotel has a brass plate like many other hotels in rome on the side of the building identifying it, so keep your eyes peeled. the hotel staiway is beautiful and full of character and inside the rooms are clean and immaculate. the breakfast is the usual european affair with cereals, assorted croissants, meats, cheeses and a perfect cappuccino. the place was spotless clean and got new towels/ maid service every day. the area is very safe and although hotel is on a one way busy road during rush hour it was quiet due to the double glazzing. the staff were all very nice and cheerful. the only gripe with the place is our room was next to the reception which could on occasion wake you up early morning (8.00) if there was phone calls or cappuccino machine was on but then your there to sight see not sleep. location wise we found it a bit far out when we had been touring the centre all day to go home and change or if out all day to walk back. the metros stop at 9.30 so recomend a good bus map/time table. recomend La Fiorentina restaurant on Via Andrea Doria, not far from the hotel where the locals eat and a good gellato and bakery just to the left of the hotel exit. we booked through hotel.com with no problems and cost us £115 per night for a double room.fantastic city full of history and character everywhere

• Liked — the peace & quiet and comfort
  • Disliked — next to reception
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Il Gattopardo Relais? Share your experiences!