“A bit far from town” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #647 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Aldershot
“A bit far from town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

a strange hotel, wierd decor but we found it ok, only issue really was the distance from the main part of rome, but once we sorted out buses wasnt so bad, although in summer when hot the walk from the bus stop is a bit much.

Breakfast was fine. all in all it was an average hotel but we paid a pittance for it so cannot moan.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Tipperary, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

my stay @ hotel black was ok..i was expecting worse after reading all the reviews. the staff was very friendly and helpfull,breakfast was ok. i was just disappointed with my evening meal. i ordered pasta with sword fish. what i got was pasta and a trace af sword fish..my friend thought the sword fish was still coming and when i asked where the sword fish was i was shown crumbs of sword fish..what a joke..the pool was lovely especialy with heat.in the evening u can actualy enjoy the tranquil and quiteness. the only thing that was a negative for me was the distance to the bus stop. going is ok,coming back u have to walk a uphill thats a real killer, with the sun roasting you...ohh that was the only negative for me!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotels location isn't great but a bus and and the metro will get you into Rome in around half hour but we found out this for ourselves as the guy on reception just said get the bus over there.
Nothing seemed to work in the hotel. Air conditioning in the room was faulty, Shower was hanging off the wall and slipped down all the time, the door seal on the shower door leaked, flooding the bathroon every time. Speakers in the bathroom didnt work, not really a problem but add it to the endless list anyway. The internet connection is really bad. The breakfast was supposed to be from 7 untll 10. We was downstairs for breakfast every morning between 8 and 9 and it was all gone. When we asked for more eggs or milk or whatever we was told ''sorry its finished'' until we reminded them of the breakfast times. Superior garden view room was a standard room with a view of the neighbours garden. I could go on and on. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid the black hotel
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

To only just say quickly, I wish I had read these reviews before I booked my mother and I our first two nights in Italy here (only two days ago!). I was well aware it was far from city centre (which I was ok with and wanted) however staff were terribly unfriendly and unhelpful (if you didn't speak Italian they didn't look twice at your or even breath your way) when asking about local directions, e.g. local bus and nearest train station. We did manage to find it ourselves (didn't want to wait for their 'courtesy coach' - which actually was 2 Euro per 3km trip to the nearest train station which you can actually catch a free local bus too from across the road from the hotel!). The 'included breakfast' was very poor - basic cheap white breads, crap coffee, sugary tinned fruit, sugary cereals and eggs and bacon that smelt like a dumpster. The toilet plumbing or seat was not secured properly and squeezed so loud everytime you sat on it enough to wake me and my mother up during the night when one of us went to the toilet! 'Free wifi' terrible reception and didn't work for most of the two days (got it working for about 10 minutes twice!). The front/daytime receptionist was the most depressed, cod face woman I have ever seen - never a smile and such a drain that we were staying in 'her hotel'. HOWEVER the only upside was that I woke at 6am to go to the gym (which actually was half decent - obviously never been used) and the nightime receptionist was a hot young boy covered in tatoos from head to toe and just a gorgeous face - literally the best looking guy my age I've seen in a god damn while. It was a lovely surprise however didn't make up for the overal overpriced, terrible service of the hotel. Would never stay again or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I won't complain about the Black Hotel's location, but read other reviews to find out more details. All I will add is that most people have the ability to check a hotel's location before booking it, so it seems a little churlish to complain after the stay when it's something you can easily find out about beforehand.

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy my stay for other reasons. One or two of the staff members are polite and friendly, but the service from others was absolutely terrible. A couple were surly, ignorant and unhelpful; even a request for a cup at breakfast (none available on my table or on the buffet table) was greeted as if it were the biggest inconvenience a guest had ever made. The breakfast buffet itself is poor; breakfast is supposed to be available until 10.30am but if we arrived after 8.30 most of the food was gone, unreplaced, and the hot food that was left had gone cold.

Apparently there are three shuttle buses to the metro each morning, but I didn't see sight of them so took the bus (a good service, incidentally). An improvement would be a dedicated bus service running between the metro and the hotel all day, every 30 minutes. This would go a long way to making the location easier for guests to handle.

On the plus side - the room was really nice. Clean, modern, comfortable and well maintained by staff during our stay.

Sadly the Black Hotel seems more interested in relying on its quirky cool design to get guests in. It's fine to play this up, but not if you're concentrating on it to the detriment of basic things like good service. If they put as much effort into customer care as they did in scattering design books and periodicals around the place it could actually be a good hotel, regardless of the location.

Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The rooms are rather small, the bathroom was not really clean. The breakfast is very limited and save for the coffee of minor quality. Although the website announces a shuttle service this was not offered. We spent a fortune for taxis. The hotel staff seems to be chosen by their grumpiness

Wrexham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights, where do I begin? Remembering this is a 4 star hotel, the first evening we ordered our evening meal in the smart looking restaurant. My main course arrived on a brown plate with a big white chip in it, the three other members of my party all had different style/colour plates. My husband called the waiter to complain about the chip in the plate, he was a young waiter and didn't seem to understand the problem and so my husband asked to speak to the restaurant manager who was fussing around a birthday party for an Italian group. The manager eventually came and "pretended" he couldn't speak English and so the conversation was translated by a very nice young waitress. The manager explained that he didn't have enough plates because of the birthday party (there was approx 16 people). No apology was ever made by the manager. The food was mediocre, unfortunately we had to eat in the Restaurant once more due to the locality (no where else to eat!) once again the food was disappointing.
We asked for the aircon to be turned up on numerous occasions with no effect. Most people stayinng in the hotel were complaining constantly and just to finish things on the last morning coming down for breakfast, I poured a glass of orange juice and went to take it outside in the sunshine and the surly waiter told me I was not allowed to take the drink outside!!!
We had previously spend 3 nights in Amalfi where the people were very friendly and welcoming, but at the Black Hotel, all the staff (except Simon and a young girl) were surly, unwelcoming and downright rude!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Hotel? Share your experiences!