“Good location (close to train station), average room, good value” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Saturnia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Ruinaglia 4/6, 00184 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #316 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
nyc
“Good location (close to train station), average room, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for three days in June 2013.
The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk from the main train station, and quite close to all the major sites. It's a really good location, but unfortunately the hotel is located halfway down a short but very steep hill and I tripped as I approached the hotel and severely twisted my ankle.

The injury meant that I couldn't walk around Rome, so that negatively colored my opinion about the hotel...

After my fall, the hotel staff was very kind and offered me ice and bottles of water. The staff was generally very nice throughout the stay, and they even gave us an early breakfast when we had to check out at 4:30am on our departure date.

If I wasn't injured, then the location would have been perfect, in that it was walking distance (I'd estimate about 20-30 min) from most of the sites, yet quite affordable. Unfortunately with the bum ankle I had a lot of trouble getting around the city, and the hotel has no elevator so it was quite a task to climb the 2 flights up to my room.

The room itself was small but fine. They provided a crib for our baby (which took up all the spare walking space), and the room had a mini-fridge. The breakfast was basic but also fine. The hotel, and the city as a whole are not so handicapped friendly... (because of the steep and poorly paved hill you must descend to get to the hotel, and the lack of elevator, I wouldn't recommend the hotel to, say, my grandma - and I still can't quite understand how the Italian women are able to traverse the hill in their 5" heels).

But overall, I'd say that this hotel is a good value, and if I hadn't had a rough start to the stay with my fall, I would have enjoyed it more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The first night we stayed in one room that was so small we could barely get ourselves and bags in. Stank to high heaven of urine but thankfully the shower leaked onto the breakfast room so we were moved the next day to a not to bad room. Still had that funk smell so we had to leave the windows open. Not exactly what I thought I paid for. The guy at the front desk was great though, cant fault him. Wouldnt stay there again though.

Room Tip: Check out other travellers photos on Tripadvisor before booking to avoid nasty surprises!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
RiccardoLatour, Responsabile reception at Hotel Saturnia, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
We want to apologize for the inconvenient occurred during your stay in JULY 2012,
and we are so sorry for your rating to the hotel (even if you stayed on July 2012 one year ago )the period we start to restore and repaint the rooms,
all suggestions to make things working better are always welcome

our best regards
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We wanted a place in the city center, but didn't care to pay for a fancy hotel because we planned to stay in the city most of the day and we aren't high maintenance like that. This was the perfect hotel for us. It was walking distance from all the places we wanted to go, and the room was clean. We only had a bidet and shower in the room though. The toilet was a shared one in the hall. I was very impressed with the service we received from the staff. Tiziano Meoni was especially helpful. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Henderson, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

the professional photos look nothing like the hotel! The sheets smelled like they had not been washed, there was mold and buldging walls from water damage. This refused to give us our money back when we said there was no way we could stay right here but were forced to due to no refund. This was the worst hotel I have ever been to in my life! we were afraid to almost touch anything because everything was so dirty. gaps in the flooring, baseboards missing, spiders on the floor. also, the woman working there was rude and smelled of smoke so bad. I don't know how they can lie about the quality of this hotel so bad.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Saturnia for our first trip to Rome and it worked out great. It was central to the train station, the Colosseum, and there are tons of great eating and drinking options right around the corner (go to the "Chicken House"! Doesn't sound very Roman, but the food was AMAZING). Our room was clean, the staff was friendly, and the breakfast started each morning out right. It is an older hotel, but we enjoyed the local flare. Staff was very helpful and friendly as well.

The only downside was that we were in a suite on the top level, and there was no elevator, however we didn't have to haul our bags to the top so that was really nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The charm of the hotel Saturnia matches the charm of Rome itself. Conveniently located near the train station and subway (and motor scooter rentals), almost in front of the Church Santa Maria Maggiore, the Saturnia provides a perfect launch point for all of Rome’s amazing sights. The friendly atmosphere is due to a wonderful friendly staff: Tiziano, Alejandro, Ruslan, & Jon at the front desk, and lovely Lilly who serves a delicious breakfast. All are helpful, aiding the tourist at every turn, besides which each is good natured with a sense of humor-- an unusual feature! This is not a new, luxury hotel, but rather a small friendly inn with a few fun idiosyncrasies and a great deal of personality-- at a better price than anything else in the neighborhood. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is an older hotel that is kept in decent shape. My husband, myself and our 1 year old daughter stayed here for 6 nights in April. The people that work there are very accommodating and the complimentary breakfast was great!

Other things about this hotel that were good include:
-Our room was very spacious
-They has a play pen in the room for us
-They always gave us plenty of clean towels and linens when we asked
-The location is perfect! So close to the train station, to wonderful museums and to streets full of delicious restaurants and shops selling meats and cheeses

The negative things about this hotel are:
-The room they gave us was on the main street and was very loud!
- Our heater was on all night, despite many complaints and people looking into it, so we had to keep our window open all night, making it much louder (especially at 4 am when the trash was collected)
-It wasn't the cleanest- when we arrived I used some wipes to clan off the night tables and floor areas where my baby would be playing and the wipes were very dirty!
-The hotel charges like 5 euros to call you a taxi. There are a few hotels down the road that have taxi stands that you can hail a cab from though.

All in all it was a decent hotel, especially for the price. We always felt safe in the area and we truly enjoyed the breakfast (did I already mention that? =)

Room Tip: Make sure to look at the room before you check-in. Do not stay on the street unless you like a noisy...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Saturnia? Share your experiences!