“Excellent from start to finish!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free WIFI & BREAKFAST
Ranked #7 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent from start to finish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Could not have stayed at a more welcoming hotel. The rooms were spotless, the continental breakfast excellent, the greeting when you arrive felt as though you already knew the family. Nothing was too much trouble from recommending restaurants to arranging a trip to the Vatican. This was our first trip to Rome, and definitely will not be our last stay at the Golden. It was recommended by a friend, and it certainly met every need from location to comfort and hospitality. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you for making our first trip such a memorable one and we will be returning and recommending this lovely hotel to everyone we know.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

1,420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

it was just wonderful.How nice people,excellent servis and very good breakfast!With mu girl friend we just wanted to choose some nice small place close to center.But we were not expecting that good place and clean rooms!Thanks to everybody who works there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lac Du Bonnet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our first trip to Rome - checked into the Golden and immediately felt comfortable and welcome. Every member of the family was welcoming and sooo helpful. We loved the neighbourhood (just off Via Veneto) and found we could walk to most of the famous Roman attractions - Ancient Rome, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps etc. With Giuseppe's help we navigated the subway system and went on a great tour of the Vatican booked by him.
The rooms were clean and well-appointed - quiet for sleeping after along day of walking in the eternal city. Breakfast was a treat - good variety and nicely presented.
We would definitely stay at the Golden on our next trip to Rome and would recommend it to other travellers!

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms on the main floor - they were quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
St. John's, Newfoundland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Golden for 2 nights prior to our cruise. We are so-o-o glad we chose this hotel as it felt like home away from home and we were treated like family. Our room was an older type with lots of charm and included a lovely, modern washroom and very comfortable bed. Most of our contact was with Marco (son) who, from our initial contact from our home, was absolutely fabulous. Any enquiries were answered promptly and, after arrival, we also met Giuseppe who, like Marco, was also extremely helpful and informative on the places we wanted to visit and highlighted all points of interest on our map. We could walk to all our must-sees from the hotel. A lovely buffet type breakfast was prepared each morning, by Momma, and it started our day perfectly. I would not hesitate to stay at Hotel Golden again and, if/when we return to Rome, we will not need to find a place to stay, we already have one :-) !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My brother and I stayed in Rome for the first time and decided to book this small 1 floor boutique hotel. We expected it to be cramp and possessing only the barest amenities that something this small can usually afford. How wrong we were.

Instead, we found a very friendly group of family operators that provided impeccable service, making excellent suggestions on where to eat and how to most efficiently spend one's day(s) in Rome. They provide free maps, upon which the desk attendant takes the trouble to scribble and trace detailed routes on how to get around, complete with notes on what is where and how to go about doing the fun things in the city. And, which came as a very pleasant surprise to my brother and me, they manage to provide an amazing complementary breakfast, complete with fresh pastries, homecooked omelets, pineapple, and freshly brewed coffee. To top it off, when I checked out, they helped to send out my postcards for me!

The room we stayed in was huge for two people, with towering ceilings and an enormous bathroom. I'm not sure if this room is typical of all the rooms at Hotel Golden, but to see a room this size for a hotel that appears so outwardly small is astonishing. For comparison, this room was easily twice the size, perhaps more, than a room for two in a city like New York, and it would be priced the same.

Should I return to Rome in the near future, I am definitely coming back to stay here. The location is convenient, being very close to the Borghese Museum and only a 10 minute walk from the Spanish Steps and the Trebuchet Fountain. A cafe with amazing pizzas, authentic pasta entrees, and deserts, though a little pricier than other places in Rome, is just a couple blocks down, and is patronized by locals and tourists alike. Highly recommended folks.

Room Tip: Room 104 is the huge cavernous room in which we stayed. It is equipped with an AC, so those of you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here for three nights. The best part about Hotel Golden is the staff: they are so welcoming and helpful. Upon arrival, Marco gave us an excellent orientation to Rome, pointing out the locations of the hotel and key sights, and explaining how to use the Metro or bus. The hotel is in a very good location near the Via Veneto and Borghese Gardens, and a 10-minute walk from the Spanish Steps. Marco and his brother Guiseppe were always available to answer questions.

The hotel was quite inexpensive so you have to keep in mind that you get what you pay for: the shower was tiny and not very hot, the beds were a bit uncomfortable, and the room smelled a little musty. It was fine because the convenient location was more important to me and it was only for three nights, but it's something to consider when booking.

Again, I can't emphasize enough how great the service is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you are looking for a very well maintained 3-star hotel in a quiet area of Rome with good transit options, Hotel Golden is highly recommended.

I was in Rome prior to starting a tour of Tuscany. I wanted to maximize my 3-star budget while ensuring that I had a good experience. Hotel Golden ended up a great choice. I stayed in Room 115, a single at the end of the hall.

My hot buttons were (1) owner-operated, (2) elevator, (3) good wifi strength, (4) breakfast more than just pastries and (5) every room has a private bath (so I wouldn't have to hear the noise of others going to and fro at all hours). And something that feels locally authentic.

Hotel Golden is one block off the Via Veneto, sharing the block with the big 5-star Marriott. Other 5-star venues are along the Via Veneto plus the American Embassy. The Villa Borghese park is on the north side of this area. On a map it may look out of the way but there are key buses that stop nearby that will get you to the heart of the tourist attractions plus there is a wonderful underground pedestrian short-cut from the Via Veneto to the Spanish Steps Metro Station.

I thought the hotel had just been remodeled everything looked so new but the owner said it had been five years. Imagine the dedication to maintenance that keeps bathroom porcelain looking like it was just installed.

The hotel is on the (European) first floor so there is an elevator if you need it. From my own experience and from what I observed one of the owners meets new arrivals at the street door and helps departees likewise. I have no idea what else in the hotel's building since I saw few people not associated with the hotel.

The breakfast buffet offerings were many, including an omelet that is well cooked. (It may be the only fully cooked egg found in all of Italy south of the Tyrolean Alps). The portions of each item offered are small but I saw everything replenished quickly when needed.

Having stayed in single rooms at hotels across Italy I can attest that Room 115 is an average size for a single and well-designed, leaving plenty of walking space around the bed, desk and luggage rack.

The satellite TV system is very sophisticated; night-owls won't run out of things to watch. (What little time I spent awake in the room I was online; the room had 4- and 5-bar wifi consistently.)

The bathroom is small -- I think the term is "cruise compact" although it was larger than the bath I had on a cruise. The usual accessories (like shampoo) are offered.

I forgot to throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain. I hope that doesn't jinx me because I'd be delighted to visit Rome again and stay at Hotel Golden. (Coins thrown by proxies welcomed.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Golden? Share your experiences!