“Beware: The worst hotel I've ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars

Erdarelli
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Dei Due Macelli 28, 00187 Rome, Italy (Colonna)   |
Ranked #790 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beware: The worst hotel I've ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Don't be tempted by this place. Great location and low price lured us in. But it was dirty, inhospitable, noisy, and with poor service. Our names and reservations were on the books, but it took them 20 minutes to figure out which rooms we should be in, mostly because we had booked rooms with a private bathroom. My friend struggled with her bags while the two desk clerks watched. We asked for drinking glasses and were told to go to the gelato shop next door to get plastic cups. (Sorry, Mr. Desk Clerk, for interrupting your ongoing personal phone calls.) No one checked our name against the room register when we asked for our key off the peg board -- anyone could walked off the street and gotten our room key. The room doors were flimsy and not secure. No in-room safe. The shower was grimy and the shower head was broken. Water was hot, linen was clean. Lack of carpeting and flimsy doors made the room noisy because of all the hotel foot traffic.

Room Tip: Definitely book a double room even if you are on your own. Make sure you indicate you want a private...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Went for 2 days and ended up staying 5. Its not a fancy hotel but who wants to be inside the hotel room when you're in Rome. Erdarelli will provide you with breakfast, clean rooms and fresh towels everyday, maps and brochures and a quiet sleep. Staff was professional, friendly and willing to accomodate. This is where Im staying next time, without a doubt.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Get past the dated decor and you will realise this is a gem of a place. Spent 5 days here on a shoe string budget and had an amazing time. There were singles, couples and families there during our stay. It's not the Ritz but the rooms were spotlessly clean, the air con worked, the shower was hot and the bed was large and comfortable. The rooms are small, but space is an issue in Rome and this will be the case pretty much anywhere central unless you pay big bucks for the privilege. It is a family run place and the staff were very friendly, the breakfast was staple continental and of the same standard you would get in a much pricier place in Rome. This was my fourth visit to the city and for location, and price it was the best, almost exactly in between the Spanish steps and the Trevi fountain (both two mins walk away). If you are looking for a cheap, clean, quiet and safe place to stay in the thick of it then I wholeheartly recommend it. Will definitely come back here for my next visit. The only downside- the lift is very old fashioned so if you have an issue with that and have an aversion to stairs I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

The hotel was very qaint and extremely well located. In the center of Rome, the price was very reasonable.
The rooms are spacious and calm, but some of them do not have a bathroom. This means you have to leave your room to go to the bathroom. Since they are shared, they are not in optimal condition.
It is a perfect hotel for students who wish to stay in Rome in a central location, but less suited for families or demanding people.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 4nights in July it was our first time in Rome and we wanted to stay somewhere with a good location at a affordable price. The hotel was very basic and run down but the location was perfect and there was work being done to the hotel at the time so its a working progress. I had read some of the previous comments about the hotel before I stayed and thought it would be worse then it was. Although the hotel was old and in need of some TLC it was clean the people were very friendly. We didn’t spend much time in the hotel so the location was more important to us than the place itself. One of the main tourist buses the 116 stops right outside the hotel making it so easy to get to all the attractions or if you don’t mind a stroll you can walk to most of them.
Overall the location to us outweighed the hotel itself; the place was clean which is all that really mattered I have stayed in far worse places.

One thing I would say is the room didn’t have any air con or even a fan and it did get quite hot, we slept with the window open which meant a very noisy road in the morning, this didn’t bother us to much as we had lots plan for our trip but if you like to sleep in late maybe ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I think that a lot of these reviews are written by people who were expecting the Hilton. You can find those hotels if you want to pay that much. When you're paying what you are and are in a city that is famous for how old it is and there are very few new constructions this hotel is great. It is old, if you get a room with a shared bathroom you need to be prepared to-wait for it-share a bathroom. Again, this isn't the Ritz. If that's what you want stay somewhere else. But you will not get the fantastic location this has to offer. I could get everywhere by walking if I wanted and the metro is close by. It is literally a block away from all the expensive shopping (Gucci, YSL, Prada), the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and if you're up for a little walk the Parthenon. I didn't come to Rome for the hotel room, I came for the experience.

I'm a college age male so I would say if you're a family, or you're wanting to sleep a lot, this hotel can be a little noisy. It didn't bother me, but I can see how other people may not enjoy that.

I also want to give a shout-out to a little restaurant I ate at while staying in Rome. I found it in Rick Steve's guide of Rome. It is pretty close to Erdarelli and is one of the best that I ate at while in Italy. It's called L'Antica Birreria Peroni. A block off Via del Corso at Via di San Marcello 19. Eat there!

• Stayed May 2011
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Nice guys manning the place, although one of them passed out during his overnight shift and we waited outside in the rain for like 10 minutes before opening the door for us. The hotel itself is pretty nasty. One of the showers didn't even have a [--] damn shower head -- just a faucet. I felt like I was showering like a peasant during Caesar's time.

Whenever we'd walk into the room, it had the funkiest smell and took a few minutes to get used to it. The shampoo we got basically made my hair fall out. The room itself felt pretty dirty. There were hairs in my bed. Gross.

The breakfast was atrocious. If cheap pastries is your idea of breakfast, then welcome to heaven.

If all you want is location, then you've got a good place. Other than that, stay the [--] away.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Erdarelli? Share your experiences!