“horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2,332 of 3,079 Rome B&B and Inns
Nashville, Tennessee
“horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

The price that we paid for the room was really not worth it. No elevators. The receptionist was really unfriendly. The fan and lights in the room were not working.In short, that was the worst hotel we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Don't be tempted to accept either this hotel or its sister the Mari 2 as suitable hotels for school groups. They may be inexpensive and relatively centrally located, but we had an extremely stressful stay here. Because of an accident that happened on the first morning of our visit, the managers locked us out of our rooms each evening and threatened to chuck us out of the hotel if we didn't pay up immediately. We were insured for accidents, the insurance company were quick to assure both us and the hotel that the damage would be paid for, and the hotel was paid before we left. A professionally run hotel would have known how to deal with the situation without the grief it caused us and our young charges - children aged 11-13. It was curious that during our time there the price for damage continued to rise, ending in a massive bill, which frankly defied belief. In the accident a couple of the children were injured - again no care was given to the boys as a result from the hotel management. We loved Rome, but want to warn others that this is not the place to stay with a school group. Even as a tourist I would think again. In our rooms we had a leaking basin, no hot water and one day no water at all, broken shower heads, wires were sticking out from wall, mirror cracked, curtain hanging from windows, loose floorboards, the breakfast, said to be 'hearty' on their website - was 'one croissant only' and a bowl of cereal. The managers, especially Enzo running Mari 1, were unbelievably rude. I understand that damage caused is upsetting to hotel managers, but it does happen and one should deal with it professionally. Sadly we just got threats, rudeness, distrust and aggression.

• Stayed October 2010
Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

The room was on the 3rd floor (no lift). The room was ok with a newly renovated bathroom. Short distance from Termini so it was easy to just take a metro and train. A bit noise from the street on the mornings but it didn't bother that much.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Everyone here seems to be moaning, basically this was just about the cheapest hotel (within walking distance of the main sites) that we could find. And obviously you get what you pay for! Yes the hotel has no lift, but for f's sake; you people walk miles and miles all over Rome looking at the sights, who cares about a few flights of stairs?! Yes the reception is on the 4th floor and the hotel rooms are on the 7th (or there about) but it says all this on your booking form. Our room was clean and comfortable, the windows had decent glazing for sound-proofing and the bathroom was clean, simple and worked fine. The manager was quite a character (and doesn't speak English), but with a bit of improv we managed to work out the booking with no problem at all. The only downside I can think of is that the reception is only open for a few hours in afternoon, so plan your trip; leave your luggage at the train station (2min walk away) while you see the sites on your first day. Personally I think this is worth small amount of money you pay. Back-packer / shared dorm accommodation is only slightly cheaper than this, but you get your own room, bargain!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

A weekend away in Rome, sounds nice doesn't it, well at least thats what I thought when I booked 4 nights at the Hotel Mari, how wrong I was! On arrival no one greeted us! We were left to find a hotel reception in a buliding with god knows how many staircases! With no lifts, we had to carry a suitcase up four floors when we eventually found the hotel reception, we were greeted by a rude smoking italian man who didn't speak a word of english! We were given a key to our room and were sent on our way. On the way up the next three floors, we walked past building blocks, cement bags and sand. I was praying they weren't doing works on our floor. Got to our floor and it looked like a bomb had hit it! There were wires hanging out of the wall, holes through walls, it was just awful! I thought to myself why was I not informed of this, I was so angry. Like clock work the next two mornings we were woken up at 7am by loud banging, people talking outside our room, drilling, mobile phones going off, it was a nightmare! It made us both tired and miserable for the whole day! So on the third morning I had had enough, I went down to the hotel reception and I was treated appalingly! No one spoke english and they refused to talk to me because I didn't speak italian! I eventually got the hotel manager on the phone and the best she could offer me was two breakfasts for the next morning which costed five euros each! I kept asking her why I wasn't told about the buliding works and she kept saying there was a leak , a floor had fallen through, but my boyfriend works in construction so we both knew damn well there was no leak and it had been planned for months! We then went away and came back later on in the evening. All I wanted was an apology and no one would give me one. We then spoke to the hotel manager again that night and she then started to threaten us and asked for both our names! She told us she hoped we'd had a f**king crap holiday! By this point I'd had enough and didn't want to be there anymore. She had made us feel very unsafe, so I asked for a refund for that night so we could go somewhere else and they refused! So we just left.
We went to a hotel about 10 minutes walk up the road called Hotel Ascot, it was really nice, clean and quiet place an excellent hotel and I would thoroughly recommend staying there extremeley helpful English speaking staff, I wish I had stayed there for the whole of our visit to the wonderful City of Rome.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Hotel Mari 1? Share your experiences!