“Better than B&B in a quiet neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Aventino

You added Hotel Aventino to your Saves list
Hotel Aventino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Domenico 10, 00153 Rome, Italy (Ripa / Aventino)   |
Ranked #26 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Shanghai, China
“Better than B&B in a quiet neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Hotel Aventino was recommended by a business colleague and I saw both business and tourist types during my stay. It's a great choice if you're not interested in staying smack in the middle of Rome city center, among tourist sites and traffic, but it's still just a 15 minute walk from the Forum and Colosseum. The Aventine Hills neighborhood is perfect for relaxing after a long day of touring. The hotel is better than a B&B yet not quite a full-serve hotel. It has great value, and more so if you book in advance. Staff are friendly, willing to help, and speak English. Our room consists of painted mosaics and old European decor both in the bedroom and bathroom. Our bathroom had a whirlpool bathtub (which I didn't try), but the water faucet for the bath was difficult to use. The shower was hot and nice but not fully enclosed, so water gets on the bathroom floor and toilet. The bathroom door also stuck when opening and I had to push the door forcefully to get it open all the way. These are small inconveniences that didn't bother me but could be a problem for other travelers. Breakfast is continental, typical Italian, which includes warm croissants, assorted other pastries, cold meats, and yogurts, as well as coffee/tea, made to order. Be warned: wifi in the lobby only and A/C system in room can be loud if you're a light sleeper. I would stay here again for the price and neighborhood. However, see my review for this hotel chain's other hotel, Hotel Villa San Pio, which I prefer but is slightly pricier.

Room Tip: Room 348 has a small wrap around balcony. Bathroom door gets stuck when opening.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Aventino, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your time in writing a review about our Hotel once back home!

I'm glad to know you enjoyed the calm and beauty of our neighborhood and the decor of the room.

I'm sorry you had to experience some deficiencies in the bathroom which we took immediate action to fix in order for future guests to avoid this little inconveniences.
Hotel Aventino as you said is the cheapest of our Hotels on the Aventino hill and often you can get good offers and special rates on our official website.

Thanks again for your visit and we are looking forward to see you again, maybe next time for pleasure in our beautiful city of Rome.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Hotel Aventino was recommended by friends, so we booked a 1 week stay and couldn't have ended up happier! I shared a room with a friend, and my grandmother and sister shared the room next to ours. Our rooms were on the courtyard level, tucked around the side, so we felt like we had our own little private area. We had a wonderful week in Rome together, and all LOVED coming back to beautiful Aventino every night. We all felt it was a very great price for the beauty and comfort you get. Our friends stayed around the counter at a different small hotel with the same owners, and it was great, too! Be sure to walk down to the end of the street to The Knights of Malta gate (Secret St. Peter's view)!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Aventino, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Veronica,
we are happy to know you had a great time in Rome and that you found in Hotel Aventino a special place that will remain in your hearth!
We are also glad to know you found the "Knight's of Malta gate", just a step away from our hotel....from where you can admire a unique and pittoresque view of St. Peter's dome!
Thanks again for your visit and looking forward to see you soon again!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I need to put this review into context: I am sure that the Hotel Aventino is lovely on a warm spring/summer's day. I,however, arrived on a dark, wet January evening and I had the start of a heavy cold. I was traveeling alone and had a large suitcase, which the taxi driver helped me with, not a member of hotel staff. The receptionist showed no sign of welcome or warmth, however he did wheel my suitcase around to my room, room 333, which is a garden room; again lovely in Spring/summer, less attractive on a cold, damp evening in January.
I had just arrived from the airport, fortunately I knew from Trip Advisor that there was no restaurant at the hotel, however I had not expected it to be so remote. Had I felt well I probably would have taken a cab to a restaurant, however I was not in the frame of mind for that. There was a mini bar in the room, which had biscuits, chocolates, nuts and a supply of cold drinks. There is no free bottled water in the room, nor is there any facility to make tea or coffee.
The bed was huge and took up most of the room. The tv had only BBC News and CNN in English. The bathroom was adequate.
Breakfast is sparse, no hot options, just a selection of cheap cereals, cheap ham and cheap cheese, fruit and yoghurts. A variety of breads, some "orange juice" that tasted like it came out of a packet.The breakfast room had no atmosphere, it was like a morgue, cold and unwelcoming.
On checkout the receptionist, a different one, still unsmiling, tried to charge me for the pre paid room, and offered no apology when i pointed out the error. At this point I would like to add that I am a well-seasaoned traveller and am always courteous and smiling when speaking to hotel staff, this made no difference. No one helped me with my luggage, so I wheeled my large, heavy suitcase up the hotel path in the rain.
If you want a high-end bed and breakfast out of the hustle and bustle of the city centre, then you may be very happy at Hotel Aventino. For me, this was an experience that I really do niot want to repeat.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Aventino, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
we're sorry to hear your stay hasn't been great.
For sure, the best time to visite Rome is in springtime, when on the Aventino hill jasmines bloom and their scent fills the air.
The Aventino Hotel is only at five minutes walking distance from the famous restaurants of Testaccio area, where one can enjoy typical roman food, and where romans and tourists like to go and eat.
The water of Rome is famous in the whole world, because is one of the best and it's drinkable, even straight from the tap.
I assure you the products for our breakfast are selected among the best brands, like "Giglio" for cheese and yogurt, "Torre in pietra" for milk, "Sorrentini" and "Lenti" for salami, all with no polyphospates added, "Kellog's" cereals, "Twinings" teas, "Mulino Bianco" cookies, "Buitoni", "Perugina" , "Natura nuova Bio", and fresh fruit, croissants, orange juice and concentrate orange juice.
The products change according to the season.
The breakfast hall is decorated with genuine antique furniture beloning to the owners, a great fresco taking up an entire wall and depicting flowers and fruit with peperino frame. A genuine coffe machine "Stefano Ugolini" embellishes the place.
From the breakfast hall you can go out straight into the patio, when the weather is beautiful or taking cover under the big ombrellas.
I honestly think it's very different from what your described.
Perhaps when a day is not too positive one tends to perceive people and things in a different way.
We hope springtime will give us back our usual smile, so we can give our guests an open and friendly welcome.

Best regards!
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I were having a wedding anniversary trip to Rome - club class flights, chauffeur driven cars from the airport and I wanted a hotel to match. The Aventino did not disappoint - we were given the rooftop terrace unasked at no additional cost. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is the in diplomatic quarter, one of the best parts of Rome. Everything a boutique hotel should be - elegant and understated. The Aventino is not cheap but it is money well spent. You feel you have got what you paid for. The aircon was more of a novelty function but hey - it's Rome!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooftop terrace
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Aventino, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
The staff and I, are pleased to read your positive comments and I am glad to know that your stay during the “ special occasion “ met your expectations. Hope this sweet memories will cherish during this year 2013 and wish you all the best for a very prosperous, serene and healthy year.
Best wishes and look forward to see you again.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Aventino several times and have always been satisfied with the rooms and the outstanding service. While not all rooms have french doors opening onto a balcony we have been lucky enough for the past two years to have one that did. A big plus on a sunny, balmy day. Prior to that we had rooms that were comfortable and all had very nice bathrooms. As others have noted, breakfast is not particularly exciting, although the coffee is properly made and better than what one finds in a lot of hotels. Some might complain about the slightly out-of-the-way location but that is why it's quiet and the leafy-green neighborhood is utterly charming. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Aventino, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your comment.
Our hotel Aventino is the smaller hotel of the chain and we particularly pay attention to the comfort and the quietness of each room. Some rooms have balcony with nice view of the garden but all of them are comfortable and well equipped.
Our breakfast is served in the small breakfast room but during the good weather is possible to get it also in the garden which is a good solution when the sun is still warm. It’s a pleasure for us to serve a good coffee and cappuccino because we think it’s important for starting the day properly.
The Aventino hill, where the hotel Aventino is located, is a residential area, not so far from the centre but quiet and plenty of green.
Hope to have you as guest for your next visit in Rome
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Aventino a number of times. It does lack some of the facilities that many travellers demand. There's a chance to get coffee and drinks via a waiter service. There's no restaurant or fitness centre. The only meal available each day is breakfast.

Rooms are not huge but have enough space for a short-term stay and the heating and air conditioning have always worked in the rooms we've stayed in. The Staff are very friendly and helpful and virtually all of them speak good english which is a real bonus.

On this occasion we asked for a garden room as my wife was making her first international trip after having suffered quite a severe stroke. We were allocated Room 332. There were no steps for her to negotiate and we were virtually next door to the breakfast room. We had a hire car and, as usual, we were able to park in the Hotel's grounds although the gates don't allow much spare room getting in and out. Although there are steps between the entrance gate and reception there is a wheelchair friendly side-entrance that the Staff were very happy to open whenever we asked.

The beds are large and comfortable although some reports have suggested they are firm. The bathroom was quite big with a jacuzzi bath and typically Italian marble and fittings. The room had a desk and a quite well stocked mini-bar. It's a quiet residential area but only about 5 minutes from a good transport hub and within 10 minutes walk of 2 Metro Stations.

Italian regulations mean there aren't facilities like an iron available but one can be found in the nearby sister hotel the St Pio. The St Pio was having its restaurant refurbished while we were staying so there was no really close restaurant but there are places only 5 minutes walk away.

All in all the hotel has much to commend it. It's not luxury but quiet and generally efficiently run and quite comfortable. We'll be staying again!

Room Tip: Garden Rooms for those with limited mobility.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Aventino, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Jim,
Thank you very much to dedicate your time to post a comment once back home. We really appreciate it. The staff and I always do the best for our clients in order to make the experience unforgettable.
Hope to see you during your next visit in the eternal city.
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I were extremely satisfied with our stay. We had recently stayed in several other 3 star Italian hotels that paled in comparison when stacked up against all the positives that Aventino had to offer. Here's a summary

It was really quiet, bordering on peaceful, with a gated-off garden (it was a former villa) vibe....like a little oasis in a crazy bustling metropolis.

The staff were extremely helpful, polite and overall a pleasure to interact with

The breakfast was good, not great....but the presentation (i.e. the little things) added quite a bit. Coffee served properly from the kitchen (not some crappy instant machine on a table), croissants kept in a warming oven, fresh fruit, etc.

The internet connection was acceptably fast, but had a few intermittent connectivity issues. I attributed this to the layout of the building, with huge thick stone walls everywhere. I doubt they had more than one router given the smallish size of the hotel....

The rooms were very classy, with updated bathrooms and killer jacuzzi showers.

Couple of drawbacks include it's slightly non-central location (for us it was walkable to most things, but we're young and pretty willing to walk several miles to get where we wanna go), and the lack of a "view" that some people like to have.

Overall, I think this hotel is an example of why the star rating system kinda sucks. This hotel is an overachiever within it's class. I'd highly recommend anyone visiting Rome give this one a serious look.

Room Tip: Ask to not be on the lower level anywhere near the buffet room. Supposedly those rooms are a bit no...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Aventino, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear guest
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the community of Tripadvisor.

Dear guest,
We are glad to know you enjoyed our location, our cozy atmosphere, our garden area where we served breakfast and our attentive staff!
Rome in October is marvelous and can be very pleasant as it's still warm, sunny and the city has a special atmosphere and a natural light that enchants its beauty and charm.

The hotel Aventino located on the top of the Aventino hill, quiet and residential area, is not so far from the most attractive sights and well connected to the centre of the city.

Hope to see you during your next visit in the eternal city

Been to Hotel Aventino? Share your experiences!