“Hotel is OK, location not so” 3 of 5 stars

Amico Hotel
Piazzale Prenestino 15, 00176 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #1,082 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Helsinki, Finland
“Hotel is OK, location not so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

I was in Rome for a study trip and stayed at this hotel with my classmates for almost a week. I was staying in a room for 4 persons. It was small but clean and with own bathroom. Window was facing the road, which made the room a little noisy - if you are a light sleeper, take ear plugs with you.

Hotel is located in apartment building, on 6th and 7th floors (reception on 7th floor). It can be a little hard to find at first as there aren't any big signs in front of the main entrance. Lift in the building is very old and only 2-3 persons can get in at same time. As we were a very big group, we had some problems getting our luggage upstairs!

Breakfast was served in rooms, which was a little strange in my opinion - but as the hotel is located in an apartment building with very limited space, they don't have separate dining hall or such. Breakfast wasn't very special so we ended up having a coffee and croissants on a café near by almost every morning.

Staff was very friendly and helpful and almost all of them spoke english very well.

For the price we payed I guess this is what you get in Rome, and the hotel itself was OK, but I have to say that the location is not so good - quite far from all the sights (30 min bus ride to Colosseum) and the area didn't feel very safe. One of my classmates got almost cellphone stolen in front of the entrance and during bright day light! A lot of creepy, weird people hang around in the neighbourhood, probably selling drugs and waiting for innocent victims. I have to say that I hardly ever have been afraid when traveling somewhere and walking back to the hotel at night but this place really gave me the creeps. I wouldn't recommend to anyone walking around at night alone, especially women, in the neighbourhood the hotel is located.

Even though the hotel is located a little far from everything, trams and buses run right front of it - 14 and 5 to Termini (10-15min) and bus 81 to Colosseum (30 to 45 min, depending on traffic). If you decide to stay in the area, there is Via Del Pigneto quite close by (couple of min walk from the hotel) with restaurants and bars. A lot of creepy people hang around there too though so keep your friends safe and drinks close.

Room Tip: Wifi is not working very well in the 6th floor - if you need to use it, ask for a room in the 7th fl...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014

I have to admit the location is not the best, cause its a bit far from the center but u know what? u need that distance in order to get to know the real Italy with real people. I had the best pizza and coffee in that neighbourhood and the best service as well because they are not for tourists but for locals.

the hotel is cheap, clean and with amazing staff!

negatives: loud trams in the morning, loud neighbours ( might be a temporal issue) . the 3€/per night per person is an extra charge stated by the city which u have to pay in any hotels. we didn't know as it didn't say on the website. now u know so be prepared but I have to emphasise its not the hotel's fault!

thank you amico hotel me and my mom and an amazing time in your hotel. I would definitely be back!

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

The place is in a shady neighborhood. Once you get there you will wonder if you got lost or not. The hostel is twenty paces from an underpass. It's about seven or eight floors up in a building. The elevator that takes you up is an old one. The type that you see in old early twentieth century movies. The metal box of death can only take three people per trip so if you're in a big group like I was, it's best to just take the godawful stairs. Customer service was great. Front desk was really helpful. The rooms weren't bad at all. It's just the location of the place.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Novi Sad, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Hotel on the two top floors of the building 6 and 7, small lift (only for 2-3 persons), rooms are ok, some of them is with thin walls, with air-conditioning and TV, there are rooms with separate bathroom which is totally ok, and rooms with shared bathroom. Staff are very friendly. No breakfast, but you have nice coffee bar - "Friends" just outside the hotel where you can grab a cup of coffee and something for breakfast in Italian style. Close to the tram and bus stations (4-5 lines) which lead you directly to the Termini station and to other places in the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The directions sent us on a wild goose chase around Rome and took us nearly 2 hours to find the hostel (if you can, catch a cab). Once we finally made it there we checked into our room that stunk of old cigarettes. The rooms are nice, generally clean and a good value for money but if the overwhelming smell of cigarettes is not your favourite, I would suggest somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013
Tbilisi, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Rome is notoriously expensive so we knew that a budget of 150 euros for 3 nights wasn't going to get us anything immaculate.
But what we got was fine. The rooms are old fashioned, and the shower and bathroom is not up to modern standard - but it did the job. Having walked around Rome relentlessly for the day, and finished with some great wine on the little pedestrianised street about 5 mins walk from hotel, we slept very well every night.
It's about a 15 min walk to the nearest metro, so I would say that this is NOT a place for people with walking difficulties. The lift also wasn't working so we had to to hike up the 6-7 floors to the hotel.
Wifi only works near the reception area.

Overall, I would say that were this hotel in another city then I would probably share the largely negative views on this page. However, if you want to go and discover Rome then this is a good place to drop the bags, and go wondering for the day in a glorious city. Save your money for that!! Also, the little street of bars I mentioned earlier is lively at weekends and I would recommend dropping by there to finish the day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

They say it is very close to the train station, but it is not so true. You have to take the tram and it is a 20 minute ride. Walking would take more than 40 minutes, so dont try it :). But 2 different trams, 5 and 14 go very often which makes it accessible enough. The room was clean and it was cleaned every day. Fortunately we could use a good wifi, the staff was very nice always, especially Aleksandar. Nex time in Rome, I will be back here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amico Hotel? Share your experiences!