“Absolutley the BEST for us” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Domus Praetoria
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Milazzo, 42, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #175 of 1,265 Hotels in Rome
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Absolutley the BEST for us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is our 2nd stay and it will be our "always" place to stay whenever we visit Rome! Massimo is so helpful and genuine. Super clean! FREE WiFi and the AC works!! Close to Termini for Metro, train, buses and or even the "Hop on Hop off" buses...

Absolutley the BEST for us!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tocumwal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Nice little boutique hotel hidden away in an old building. Close enough but not too close to train station. Our room overlooked the street where a market was held each day. All was packed away by the time we went out to dinner and with the windows closed, there wasn't too much noise early in the morning as they set up..bed was comfortable, wifi good and bathroom adequate. Only downside was that shower was a little small but still ok. Breakfast (included) was typical Italian but sufficient for our needs. Staff good.

Room Tip: Would ask for an inside room if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Overall this hotel was a great place for what my wife and I needed. We were quickly welcomed by a staff member and our luggage was brought up to the room for us (what with the small elevator and all). Our room was very spacious as was the private bathroom. The room had a refrigerator but, if it was working, wasn't much cooler than room temperature. The location was great, 10 minutes tops from Stazione Termini. The staff were very polite and helpful in pointing us in the right direction. The hotel sits almost at the end of a street and, based on our room location, was very quiet. They have a sort of street market right outside the hotel. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We (2 persons) booked a double room for four nights after reading the reviews here at trip advisor, and we were not disappointed. The service was very familial, the room was clean, fresh and cosy with a slight romantic touch. Perfect for a couple. It's located in a typical hotel area next to the train station Termini. We could reach all major tourist attractions in Rome by foot without problems, although we took the subway to the Vatican, (just a couple of stations away, takes about 10 minutes). The breakfast was mediterranean standard, good enough for us! Altogether, a great little hotel I would highly recommend.

Note that Google Maps currently shows the wrong location. (It shows the location of Hotel Europa) Domus Praetoria is located on Via Milazzo, next to Termini. Follow the street down to the last block, til you see Hotel Gabriella, and the hotel is on the left, by a rather anonymous door. Have a good trip!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed 2 nights in Hotel Doms Praetoria. I found the location was very convenient and only around 5 mins walking distance to Roma Termini station. The staff was very helpful and accommodate us early check-in. The double room was very clean and good size. Only the bathroom was a bit small but the shower was good. There was also a small fridge in the room so we could store our water bottles. The breakfast was the basic Italian style which was ok for me.
On the day of check-out, I had to catch a bus to airport at 8am so my friend went downstairs to talk to the front desk agent that he had to see me off in train station but he would definitely return to the hotel later. I was worried that the agent might think that my friend would not return and would ask him to pay now. However, the gentleman said no problem and was so kind to ask my friend to prepare breakfast for me. I don't know that gentleman's name but I really appreciate his kindness.
The only problem I had with this hotel was inaccessible wifi in the room I could only get the connection in the breakfast room. However, that was not a huge issue for me.
Overall it was absolutely a pleasant stay and I will definitely choose this hotel if I visit Roma again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

After reading all the great reviews I thought I would really enjoy my stay. Sadly it was not to be so. As the other reviewers' experiences were so different to mine I am wondering if the issues I had were caused by the particular room I stayed in because that is the only thing I can think of. Unfortunately I can't recall the number, but it was the one at the very end of the hall on the first floor where the hotel's rooms started.

Firstly, because there were many, the positives :
- Wonderful friendly reception. I was catching a very late train and they let me leave my bags for the entire day. The receptionist knew I hadn't had breakfast and kindly offered me free coffee. The staffs' helpfulness and kindness was noticable and above average of the many hotels I have stayed in.
- The hotel is perfectly located minutes from the main train station, many attractions, and other transport (don't get lost as I did - the hotel is not obviously a hotel from the street except for the flag hanging from the wall as a sign)
- The room was lovely and large with high walls. The walls were clean and a lovely pale blue colour, and the decoration was tasteful and relaxing.
- Despite the noise (which I'll go on to mention) I slept very well every night.

The bad :
- The hot water. I did not manage to have a proper shower on any of the nights I stayed because the hot water got cold, or was cold to begin with. I have never had that happen in the many hotels I have stayed in. Also the shower had a drainage problem and would start to fill (my fault really - I should have asked them to fix it).
- Noise. There was a lot of noise. When I arrived they were building nearby and banging very loudly - closing the windows made a great difference. The fuse box in the room was very loud and hummed constantly - you needed to shut the dividing noise to not be bothered, but it wasn't too distracting. Worse was one of the neighbours - someone who lived in the building or the building next door. I think she was hard of hearing because she didn't speak but shouted, and put her TV, which was often on, very loud. She and the TV were easily audible. I spent a day in the hotel working on some stuff and the noise was relentless and distracting, I struggled to get anything done. Fortunately it didn't interrupt my sleep - although I slept with earplugs.
- Wifi. The wifi was appallingly bad. It was difficult to do anything without losing connection, I needed to keep going into the hallway with my fingers crossed to try do what I needed to online. Unfortunately the very bad signal led to me double-booking my next hotel, which I would have had to pay for if they hadn't have been kind enough to let me off.

I would give this hotel another try to see if another room is better because of the good location, price, and great staff, but never, never again in that room!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
max7218, Manager at Hotel Domus Praetoria, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Buongiorno Signore,

I am gald to hear You liked the room and the service.
There is not a pale blue coloured room on the first floor, it was probably on the 2nd floor.

I am surprised You wrote You did not have enough hot water, in that room in fact, besides the handle to adjust the tempertaure of water there are 2 extra handles to close/open the hot/cold water in the hole bathroom.
I am sure the handle for the hot water was turned off by mistake.
I believe it was not expained to You at check in time, sorry. Should have mentioned us.

Also about wi-fi, we would have reset it, and would have kindly asked clients in the next room to be quiet.
Sorry for any inconveience, I am sure your next stay with us will be perfect.

Best regards,

Massimo Menichelli
Hove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Ideally located next to the Termini railway station which is also a hub for buses (to and from Fiumicino airport) and the only point where the two metro undergrounds cross. Don't worry the hotel is in a quiet and safe area at all times of the day. Easy to walk to the major sights or catch the local transport if too hot! There's even a daytime market in the street and a bakery on the corner. Easy to find although don't expect a big frontage but what lies behind are extremely friendly staff as well as modern and immaculately clean rooms. Continental breakfast with fresh pastries and coffee is ideal. I stayed for 7 nights and would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Domus Praetoria? Share your experiences!