“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #166 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
London
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

After reading all the great reviews I thought I would really enjoy my stay. Sadly it was not to be so. As the other reviewers' experiences were so different to mine I am wondering if the issues I had were caused by the particular room I stayed in because that is the only thing I can think of. Unfortunately I can't recall the number, but it was the one at the very end of the hall on the first floor where the hotel's rooms started.

Firstly, because there were many, the positives :
- Wonderful friendly reception. I was catching a very late train and they let me leave my bags for the entire day. The receptionist knew I hadn't had breakfast and kindly offered me free coffee. The staffs' helpfulness and kindness was noticable and above average of the many hotels I have stayed in.
- The hotel is perfectly located minutes from the main train station, many attractions, and other transport (don't get lost as I did - the hotel is not obviously a hotel from the street except for the flag hanging from the wall as a sign)
- The room was lovely and large with high walls. The walls were clean and a lovely pale blue colour, and the decoration was tasteful and relaxing.
- Despite the noise (which I'll go on to mention) I slept very well every night.

The bad :
- The hot water. I did not manage to have a proper shower on any of the nights I stayed because the hot water got cold, or was cold to begin with. I have never had that happen in the many hotels I have stayed in. Also the shower had a drainage problem and would start to fill (my fault really - I should have asked them to fix it).
- Noise. There was a lot of noise. When I arrived they were building nearby and banging very loudly - closing the windows made a great difference. The fuse box in the room was very loud and hummed constantly - you needed to shut the dividing noise to not be bothered, but it wasn't too distracting. Worse was one of the neighbours - someone who lived in the building or the building next door. I think she was hard of hearing because she didn't speak but shouted, and put her TV, which was often on, very loud. She and the TV were easily audible. I spent a day in the hotel working on some stuff and the noise was relentless and distracting, I struggled to get anything done. Fortunately it didn't interrupt my sleep - although I slept with earplugs.
- Wifi. The wifi was appallingly bad. It was difficult to do anything without losing connection, I needed to keep going into the hallway with my fingers crossed to try do what I needed to online. Unfortunately the very bad signal led to me double-booking my next hotel, which I would have had to pay for if they hadn't have been kind enough to let me off.

I would give this hotel another try to see if another room is better because of the good location, price, and great staff, but never, never again in that room!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
max7218, Manager at Hotel Domus Praetoria, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Buongiorno Signore,

I am gald to hear You liked the room and the service.
There is not a pale blue coloured room on the first floor, it was probably on the 2nd floor.

I am surprised You wrote You did not have enough hot water, in that room in fact, besides the handle to adjust the tempertaure of water there are 2 extra handles to close/open the hot/cold water in the hole bathroom.
I am sure the handle for the hot water was turned off by mistake.
I believe it was not expained to You at check in time, sorry. Should have mentioned us.

Also about wi-fi, we would have reset it, and would have kindly asked clients in the next room to be quiet.
Sorry for any inconveience, I am sure your next stay with us will be perfect.

Best regards,

Massimo Menichelli

650 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Ideally located next to the Termini railway station which is also a hub for buses (to and from Fiumicino airport) and the only point where the two metro undergrounds cross. Don't worry the hotel is in a quiet and safe area at all times of the day. Easy to walk to the major sights or catch the local transport if too hot! There's even a daytime market in the street and a bakery on the corner. Easy to find although don't expect a big frontage but what lies behind are extremely friendly staff as well as modern and immaculately clean rooms. Continental breakfast with fresh pastries and coffee is ideal. I stayed for 7 nights and would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I had read the reviews in Tripad and booked it for a day. Was bit apprehensive about the location as few people mentioned about strange looking people. But you dont even have to worry, a 5 to 10 min walk from termini just cannot be unsafe at all. There was a small road market on sunday morning which in no way disturbed us as we hardly realized until we came out of the hotel.
By far the biggest room we stayed during our 15 day stay in europe.
The person in the reception was really friendly.
An indian restaurant serving very good food just opposite to the hotel was an added advantage to us. Would definetely recommend this place for its wonderful price. Take the building # and the road name to locate it easily. I dont remember seeing any board or signs of the hotel. If you are using the shuttle from the airport to termini, the hotel gets nearer as the shuttle stops right opposite to this road.

Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Domas Praetoria is a charming little hotel with lots of character, from the huge wooden entry doors to the tiny elevator. The 16 rooms are on two different floors so we found it to be very quiet. The owners couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The breakfast room has a nice patio and the fresh baked goods are excellent. The neighborhood has numerous sidewalk cafes so walking to dinner is a pleasant experience. The rooms are all very individual and all comfortably Italian. The hotel has numerous safeguards to security. Overall it was a pleasant fun experience.

Room Tip: Our room was very spacious. You may ask to see the rooms available.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a night last week while on transit in Rome. I was able to locate the hotel very quickly and easily by following the directions that came with my booking. The hotel is only a short walk from the Rome termini, supermarkets and eateries. It is also a comfortable walk to a few other attractions (I walked to and from the Colosseum and Fontana di Trevi). Staff are extremely nice and helpful. I arrived Rome on a 13-hour overnight flight and had very little sleep during the flight. The front desk staff was really kind to get my room ready early so that I could check-in and have some sleep. My room was spacious, quiet and clean. Breakfast was simple but sufficient and with good coffee. Overall, I am extremely satsified with my stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Komarno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

An easy few minute walk from the Rome termini and 15-20 minute walk from the Colosseum.Staff are very friendly and helpful.The rooms are very clean and quiet. They provided a continental breakfast and each cup of coffee was made fresh.
I would highly recommend this hotel and would love to go back someday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamberoo, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Location: An easy 5 Minute walk from the Rome Termini.
Staff: Staff are friendly, helpful and speak reasonable English
Accommodation: The rooms are quiet, spacious, comfortable and clean. The buffet breakfast served was very ordinary. Even though most city areas nearby to rail stations seem to attract seedy characters we found this area of Rome to be a safe area both daytime and night.
Would I Recommend: Definitely, but I would also explore other options first.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Domus Praetoria? Share your experiences!