After reading all the great reviews I thought I would really enjoy my stay. Sadly it was not to be so. As the other reviewers' experiences were so different to mine I am wondering if the issues I had were caused by the particular room I stayed in because that is the only thing I can think of. Unfortunately I can't recall the number, but it was the one at the very end of the hall on the first floor where the hotel's rooms started.
Firstly, because there were many, the positives :
- Wonderful friendly reception. I was catching a very late train and they let me leave my bags for the entire day. The receptionist knew I hadn't had breakfast and kindly offered me free coffee. The staffs' helpfulness and kindness was noticable and above average of the many hotels I have stayed in.
- The hotel is perfectly located minutes from the main train station, many attractions, and other transport (don't get lost as I did - the hotel is not obviously a hotel from the street except for the flag hanging from the wall as a sign)
- The room was lovely and large with high walls. The walls were clean and a lovely pale blue colour, and the decoration was tasteful and relaxing.
- Despite the noise (which I'll go on to mention) I slept very well every night.
The bad :
- The hot water. I did not manage to have a proper shower on any of the nights I stayed because the hot water got cold, or was cold to begin with. I have never had that happen in the many hotels I have stayed in. Also the shower had a drainage problem and would start to fill (my fault really - I should have asked them to fix it).
- Noise. There was a lot of noise. When I arrived they were building nearby and banging very loudly - closing the windows made a great difference. The fuse box in the room was very loud and hummed constantly - you needed to shut the dividing noise to not be bothered, but it wasn't too distracting. Worse was one of the neighbours - someone who lived in the building or the building next door. I think she was hard of hearing because she didn't speak but shouted, and put her TV, which was often on, very loud. She and the TV were easily audible. I spent a day in the hotel working on some stuff and the noise was relentless and distracting, I struggled to get anything done. Fortunately it didn't interrupt my sleep - although I slept with earplugs.
- Wifi. The wifi was appallingly bad. It was difficult to do anything without losing connection, I needed to keep going into the hallway with my fingers crossed to try do what I needed to online. Unfortunately the very bad signal led to me double-booking my next hotel, which I would have had to pay for if they hadn't have been kind enough to let me off.
I would give this hotel another try to see if another room is better because of the good location, price, and great staff, but never, never again in that room!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the center of Rome, few minutes walk from the Termini station and well located for visiting the main sights. All rooms with private bathroom, free Wi-fi and all modern comforts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Domus Praetoria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Domus Praetoria Rome
- Domus Praetoria Hotel