“This place needs some Febreeze and a Swiffer” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alla Dolce Vita

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Alla Dolce Vita
You added Alla Dolce Vita to your Saves list
Via Lombardia 14 | corner of Via Veneto, 00187 Rome, Italy (Ludovisi / Via Veneto)   |
Ranked #2,322 of 3,085 Rome B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“This place needs some Febreeze and a Swiffer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Imagine the smell of smoke masked by horrible insense and perfume. That's what you will get at Alla Dolce Vite. The sweet life it is not!
An innkeeper put me up here because he had no more rooms at his inns. The room was big, but I couldn't get over the smell. There was a layer of dust/ash on the dark furniture. Couldn't wait to get out of there! The furniture is mismatched and I wondered what decade the bedding was acquired. The top blanket seemed to be from the 70s or earlier. I felt dirty after spending a ngiht there.
The rooms are in an office building and I didn't feel entirely safe. However, the neighborhood is fabulous. "Breakfast" consisted of some stale Twinkies and other sad-looking pre-packaged items. I also wondered how long they had been there. There was no internet and obviously no other ammenities.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Galway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

We booked to stay in two apartments in Alla Doce Vita during Easter Week. There were nine of us in the group and we had arranged the price, and sent on the deposit. So far so good. As we were out during the day, we left the remainder of the money — as had been agreed in several emails — in a drawer for one of the brothers to collect. However, they demanded more money, saying that they had inadvertently udercharged us and we couldn't expect them to bear the brunt of this mistake — especially as it was Easter in Rome (despite the fact that we were leaving before Easter weekend). I initially refused, but it turned into a major incident and as we were in Rome for a wedding and didn't need the hassle, we agreed to split the difference. However, I felt that they had taken total advantage of us and breached our contract.
As for the apartments, they were spotless but totally cramped, with the kitchens effectively being in a cupboard, while in one of the apartments the beds was right beside the breakfast table. Five of us were put in a space that was suitable for two — or max — three people. Between that and the row over the money I would never go back there.

Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2004

We stayed in the Blue Suite at the Alla Dolce Vita B&B in Rome from 9-12 April 2004 and it was a bad experience for us. Contrary to the known definition of a B&B, breakfast was neither fresh nor served, but simply a basket of artificial and industrial packed bread and jam left on a table for self service. The two brothers running the place (I will speak about them in detail later) told us, that this was the official B&B breakfast standard according to the law of the state of Lazio (Rome is part of Lazio). It was obvious, that we were not the first guests to complain about the breakfast. Since my wife is French and good breakfast a must on holidays I had phoned the B&B before booking the suite and had specifically asked about what would be served for breakfast. Vasco, the younger brother told me in detail "cafe, cafe latte, croissants, different cakes, breads and jams, fruit juice, etc." When I wanted to open the curtains on the second morning the heavy curtain pole came crashing down from the 3m high window and only narrowly missed me. The next day we received a call from the older brother, Loris, who demanded that we meet at the B&B and that pay him additional EUR 50 for the damage. When we then met at the B&B and refused to pay for the damage, Loris he moved aside the curtains of the rear window to show us were some paint had come off the wall and asked us if we had done that as well. Since this was the first time we had even noticed the rear window we were somewhat surprised. We still refused to pay for the damage. At this occasion we mentioned that we were not satisfied with the breakfast since it did not match the description given to us over the telephone. We proposed that a EUR 10 reduction per night for the three of us. Loris slowly become angry and even worse, began to clench his fists. He then phoned his younger brother, Vasco, who demanded that we either pay the full price for 3 days right now or move out of the B&B immediately. At 10 pm on a rainy Sunday evening with a 8-month old baby daughter we did not have an alternative and we even began to feel threatened by the situation.

Been to Alla Dolce Vita? Share your experiences!