“extremely helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #529 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Hong Kong, China
“extremely helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights to attend a conference at the university opposite to the hotel. Their front desk staff were extremely helpful. On my first day, I had problems using their WIFI and the staff was very patient to help me solved the problem. On my last day, there was a strike in Rome affecting the public transportation, which bothered me because I had to catch a train at the Rome Termini in the afternoon. Someone at the university told me that there would be no metro service during the strike and told me to take a taxi. However, when I double checked with the hotel's staff. they assured me that there would still be limited metro services during the strike, just that trains would not be as frequent as usual. They were proved to be right and saved me a good sum of money :)

The hotel itself is a bit out of town (4 metro stations away from the Colosseum) and is about 10 minutes walk from the nearest metro station. Since it is close to a university, there are some cheap eateries nearby. I booked a double room for single occupancy, but still found the room to be a little bit small. However, the room was tidy and quiet. It was a pleasant stay overall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sofia, Bulgaria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

First of all, I don't know how a hotel with so small rooms can be categorized as 4-star. Apart from the room size (and the even smaller bathrooms and the impossibly small shower cabins), the hotel was nice. The bed was comfortable, the equipment was good, the wifi internet was free and worked well, and breakfast was very good. The other not too convenient thing about Hotel St. Paul is its location - it's close enough to the city centre with the metro, but the metro station itself is almost 15 minutes away from the hotel. I don't regret I stayed there, but I have seen much better - especially at a not so bargain price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very small, 10 min walk to the nearest metro station, wi-fi is free but didn't work in our room. Breakfast is poor. During weekends is very loud at nights (impossible to sleep) because of live music at the restaurant nearby and hotel staff wasn't able to help with it at all. Definitely not four stars, two at best. Given all that it's overpriced.

• Stayed May 2013

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We (5 adults) stayed in two double rooms and one single room for two nights in July 2011. The rooms were very small compared to other four star hotels in Rome. We requested ice numerous times during our stay but to no avail. According to reception, the machine was broken, in the middle of summer and for a four star hotel this is totally unacceptable!! The hotel is quite a walk from the metro station, with no ATMs and only a few restaurants or take aways in the area. We do not recommend this hotel and will not return as there are plenty other options in Rome.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Booked a weekend city break staying here and as long as you are switched on, it's not hard to find or to navigate yourself around Rome as the metro station is a short five minute walk and the subway system itself is super-easy to use (and cheap).
Our room was clean, comfortable bed, TV, blackout curtains and a good amount of storage. We got a great online deal and we really only needed the hotel to sleep, it was neatly decorated and the staff were very friendly. It is a small hotel in a capital city, the lobby is small and the room was snug but it was perfect for sightseeing and fantastic value.
The continental style breakfast was great, a full range of cereals, yoghurt, fruit, bread, cheese, meat, fresh juices etc but there are smaller places to grab a coffee (or McDonald's) near to the station.
We crammed everything into our weekend and this hotel was a great base, I would definitely stay again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This hotel is horrible, they advertise 4 stars, I wouldn't give even 1. It is really far away from main attractions. Keep in mind that Rome has 2 lines of metro, 1 with air-conditioning and 1 without. And u will have to use this without ,everyday, pure hell. I was there in September and was really hot and humid. I have to mention also rude staff at front desk. I arrived there after 13 hours flight, I was tired and I wanted sleep and I couldn't because of noisy housekeeping. Next night was also sleepless, this time because off couple with kids going crazy cross the hall, I told staff about this situation and they response was just turn up your Tv. At the time I was furious. My room should have queen bed ,but instead I got single kid size crap. Bedding was horrible quality with holes! Room was so tiny that was impossible to move around. Believe me, my room in students time was like the Ritz comparing to this damp. The only good thing I can say about this is breakfast and nothing else. Save our money and time and avoid it!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

The location is really quite out of the way. Price wise is alright but to this hotel really needs to use things like free WIFI to entice customers to stay with them. In this day and age WIFI really is as important as a working shower.

That aside, I'd skip the hotel breakfast and grab some fruits at the fruttieria 2mins away or eat at the university cafeteria that is right next door. they sell cheap water as well.

The only plus point from staying in the Basilica S. paolo neighborhood is the very relaxed atmosphere, also good is that you pass by Piramide metro station on the way back from central Rome and there is an abundance of good food in the Testaccio vicinity. Da Felice, Augustrello, Da Bucatino and Volpetti for their deli goods.

The room is alright, clean and functional, water is nice and hot and decent sized. Reception though as one other reviewer mentioned is quite dreadful. Studied my passport longer than it took customs to stamp it.

All in all avoid this hotel if possible, you can get other hotels at similar prices in better locations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Saint Paul Hotel? Share your experiences!