“Great place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #126 of 2,892 Rome B&B and Inns
Taipei, Taiwan
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

All the good reviews are justified. The rooms are small, but cozy and spotlessly clean. Location is great (right next to the coloseum). The owner (Lorenzo) is very friendly, enthusiastic and really going out of the way to help (e.g., he let us print for free our bus reservation for the airport bus). The only critic point is that walls are thin and one can hear the people in the other rooms (this is not the fault of the owner though). However, might be a problem for light sleepers. But, apart from this, a great place which I certainly would choose again and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at this hotel with Lorenzo. It was the best service we had in any hotel in Italy on our two week vacation. Wen we arrived (late) Lorenzo had stayed to check us in and met us at the curb to carry some of our heavy bags. He immediately gave us a map of the city and highlighted the best places to see, high prices areas to avoid, etc. Travel books were also available in the lobby which were handy to learn some history through. Each morning he prepared a breakfast and brought it to us at whatever time we wanted (boiled egg, pastries, toast, fresh juice, coffee). He even let us borrow his converter when ours blew a fuse. There is good AC in the room, controlled by remote. They just ask that you turn it off before you leave the room. The shower stall was tiny and the water would never stay a normal temperature - it went from freezing to scalding to freezing constantly. There was a normal hotel hair dryer in the bathroom, also toiletries were provided daily. The location was great and close to many big sites. There were double pane widows - very quiet in room at night. Lorenzo cleaned our room every day and did a great job. He even changed the bathroom rug daily. I loved this hotel and would recommend it to anyone going to Rome.

• Stayed October 2013
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in November and it was wonderful. The owners, Isa and Lorenzo are very warm and helpful. Lorenzo greeted us by name when we arrived, brought our breakfast each morning, gave us directions to everything, recommended areas for shopping and restaurants and made transportation arrangements for us. He really couldn't have been more helpful. The location is great for seeing all the sights in Rome and we walked everywhere. Room and bathroom are basic but spotlessly clean and well-equipped. Isa was very responsive and helpful whenever we emailed her prior to our arrival.
Highly recommend this B&B and would not hesitate to return.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have just returned from 4 night stay at Downtown after recommendations from this site. What a disappointment. I specifically requested non smoking room and Isabella assured me that her establishment was non smoking. It wasn't. The first night, my husband and I hardly slept for the terrible stench of smoke in our room. We slept with the window opened all night and had to listen to the awful noise from the street. I felt unwell in the morning with asthma. I advised the owner who told me it was the guest in next room smoking. He knocked on his door and proceeded to chastise him in Italian language so no idea what was said! The owner was apologetic and assured me it would be ok from now on. It wasn't. The next 3 nights were the same - smell of smoke intermittently in our room. We worked out that some of the smell was coming from behind bed headboard - gaps in the wall so smoking was coming from rooms below.
The owner was very nice and helpful but I cannot believe this episode was the first he had experienced. I notice other comments on here re: smoking.
The location of the accommodation was fantastic but that was the only good point. We couldn't wait to leave and tried to book somewhere else during our time there but everywhere we tried was booked. So we had to stay.
Never again would I stay here- even for free!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
isabellaRM, Proprietario at Rome Downtown Accomodation, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Susan,

This is Lorenzo from Dowtown Accommodation.

I am deeply sorry for the smell of smoke. As you can see at the reception we have a no smoking sign, and also in every room their is a small frame on the table with "no smoking in the room" written on it. Unfortunately not every our guests respect this rule.

On your check in date, also another young couple checked in. They didn't tell me that they were heavy smokers (their room like all our facility is no smoking), and begin to smoke with the window closed. As soon as I noticed I immediately told them not to smoke. They said that it was ok.
The day after when you told me the smoke, I knocked their room and I told them again and again not to smoke. They were rude and said that because they paid the room bill they could do anything they want. I told them that if they wanted they could go downstairs on the street to smoke, but they didn't agree saying it was too cold.

This is the first time it happened a so bad experience, usually our guest are not bad like this couple.
You and your husband are completely right and I understand why you are so angry. I always do my best to help and assist my customers...

I thought that was ok later, because you didn't tell me anymore about the problem, instead you were very nice and kind. If you told me that the couple was still smoking, I would personally invited them to check out and help them to find a friend's accommodation where they could smoke.

Immediately after this episode, we put a no smoking sign in every room (you saw it), hoping that this experience will never happen again.

I wish you will understand in what situation I was in. I tried to do everything I can, we really work hard everyday to let our guests have a great stay in Rome, but unfortunately we cannot please our guests 100%.

Sorry again for what happened.

Dowtown Accomodation
Lorenzo
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We spent lovely 3 nights at Downtown Accommodation this past spring. On previous visits we have stayed closer to Piazza della Republica but after reading the positive reviews on TA, we decided to make reservations at Downtown Accommodation. When we arrived, Lorenzo greeted us by name, showed us to our room and offered us a refreshing bottle of water. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Lorenzo is a very hands-on host, he personally delivered our breakfast and was helpful with restaurant suggestions. After a full day of sight-seeing, it was a dream-like walk back to our room, passing by the Forum and the Victor Emmanuel Monument. Downtown Accommodation was everything we were looking for and I know we will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nice, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Downtown Accommodation over 3 nights in December. It was my first experience at a B&B/Guesthouse and we was overall happy with the room/breakfast, especially at the price point. The hosts Lorenzo and Isa are lovely and made the booking process and stay easy and enjoyable. We drove from France and Isa recommended an economical parking garage option that worked out really well for us as Rome is typically a very expensive place to park a vehicle. Lorenzo was our host during our stay and really took care of us by giving us a brief review of the town and leaving us with a map of places he highlighted. Breakfast was delivered to the room each morning, and while simple, it provided some much needed fuel to begin the day. The rooms are basic but are very clean and spacious. They are also cleaned each day, which was a nice surprise for us given the type of accommodation. The lighting could be better and it appeared that most bulbs are the florescent kind that provide a harsher type light. You can tell this in some of the photos, especially the lobby photo. Finally, the property is located very near the Coliseum and Roman Forum and is really within walking distance of most sights. Overall, we were highly pleased with Downtown Accommodation and would happily recommend to others in search of an economical housing option in an ideal location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Keep in mind what you are paying for. Excellent value when considering price/location. Helpful staff (Lorenzo), answered any and all questions.

As noted in other reviews, the rooms do have the smell of cigarette smoke, even though the signage indicates smoke free. Bathrooms are small but do the job. There is noise, but nothing too outlandish. You get what you pay for and great service.

You CANNOT beat the location.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Rome Downtown Accomodation? Share your experiences!