“Great location and extraordinarily helpful host” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #119 of 2,677 Rome B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Great location and extraordinarily helpful host”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Like the other reviews, the location was very good to many sights. About a 10-minute walk to the train station and most of our tours (Colosseum, ancient Rome, National Museum of Rome, Baths of Diocletian, Santa Prassede, Santa Maria Maggiore, Capitoline Museum, Trajan's Column, and Top Bike Rental tour), although with the oppressive heat and always an incline for half the walk, it wasn't always easy. Quick walk to the metro's blue line. We had to take public transportation to Galleria Borghese, Vatican, and Rick Steves' "Heart of Rome" walk. (FYI: While the metros are easy to negotiate, the bus system had us scratching our heads!) Rooms were clean and comfortable enough. The shower was too small, about 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet. Breakfast was a croissant, 2 pre-packaged slices of toast (which we found strange!), a hard-boiled egg, a yogurt, coffee and juice. As there is no lobby, Lorenzo, the host, delivered breakfast to each of the 6 rooms at a pre-arranged time. Every day we would stop at the desk and get directions and advice from Lorenzo to help us reach our destination and get restaurant suggestions. He went above and beyond to help us out and the nicest host you can imagine. However, a couple things were not so great. First, payment is cash only. As Rome was the third of 5 cities we were visiting in Europe, I did not like carrying all that cash with me for 10 days before I got to the hotel. Second, the location of the hotel itself is confusing. Nowhere on the exterior is there a sign for Downtown Accomocation. We had the address, were able to walk into the nondescript building (although usually locked), took an elevator up looking for a hotel sign but didn't see one. I believe because of the video cameras on the first floor, Lorenzo was able to see me searching for the hotel within the building, which was labeled with a different hotel name above the door. Third, the hotel occasionally smelled like cigarette smoke at the reception desk area, although our room did not smell. Also, towels were very small. Even with these inconveniences, you can't beat the location and service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

After reading so many positive reviews my wife and I booked a 5 day stay at the Downtown Accommodation and were not disappointed. Lorenzo is a fantastic host, the rooms are (by European standards) reasonably spacious, very quiet and immaculately clean. The location couldn’t be better; 10 minutes walk from the Coliseum, 15 minutes from Termini. Lots of great restaurants nearby; we especially enjoyed Taverna Roma right around the corner, having dinner there twice. Right next door is a deli that sells all kinds of meats & cheeses plus wine & beer. They'll fix you a picnic lunch and have sidewalk tables if you want to dine right there. There’s a laundry about 10 minutes walk away that for €10 washed, dried & folded a large bag of clothes – great as we were departing on a cruise directly following our stay. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
isabellaRM, Proprietario at Rome Downtown Accomodation, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

it has been a real pleasure to read your review! I am glad to read that my advices have been useful for you to enjoy your holiday. Hope to see you again

All the best,
tinyfeet28
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

I had no idea what to expect when I made the reservations. I just needed a place to stay before my flight the next morning. I wish I spent all my nights in Rome there! Super centrally located. Forum, coliseum, metro all 3-7 min walk away. Lorenzo spends time orienting guests to the city using a free map, greeted me at the door, gave a free huge, cold bottle of water, and personally delivered a complete breakfast to my room the next day... All with a smile. Overheard all other guests complimenting him on a great stay.

Really And truly a fabulous experience. A rare gem of customer service I'm Rome. Rooms are clean, simple, and comfortable. Wifi free, a/c 5 euro/night

• Stayed July 2012
You are amazing! Thank you for all the great words. I'm trying to do all my best to let my guests have a very pleasent stay in Rome, and I'm so happy when I hear that all my guests are sartisfied..

All the best.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Downtown Accomodation was a great location for our home base in Rome. Very close to the Colosseum, Forum and Capitol Hill and not far to walk for everthing else. There are lots of good, little restaurants near by and a gelati shop only 2 minutes away that has a great view of the Colosseum and sells perhaps the best peach gelati in the world!!!
Lorenzo is a fantastic host, very helpful with his advice and very welcoming.
Breakfast was more than sufficient and the windows did a good job in keeping the room quiet.
Overall a great place to stay in Rome!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at Downtown Accommodation for 6 nights in June. It is a small B&B that's perfect for travelers who are willing to forgo the usual hotel luxuries for a good price in a great location. You can see the Coliseum by walking 20 yards from the front door, and the area felt very safe. Lorenzo was a friendly host who provided helpful suggestions for travel and dining.

Though the room and bathroom were small and simple, they were impeccably clean, with ice cold air-conditioning. The bed was firm, but comfortable.The included breakfast was great--usually croissants, yogurt, an orange drink, coffee or tea, pre-packaged toast with jelly, and either hard boiled eggs or fresh fruit.

Overall, it's a simple place, but it meet our need for a clean and safe room at a good price (100 euro a night in June) and in an unbeatable location. Try the restaurants in the alley behind the hotel--Taverna Fori dei Imperali and Taverna Roma were both delicious!

Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I arrived an hour earlier than the designated sign-in time but the owner, Lorenzo, was very welcoming. He helped me with my luggage and showed me to my room. As I began signing in he gave me a glass of juice and a sweet roll. Lorenzo then gave me a map and showed me the location of all the popular sites, the shopping district and places to eat. He also explained the markings for bus and metro stops. I stayed two nights and Lorenzo was helpful in every way. He booked my tour to the Vatican and Coloseum. He showed me where to get on and off the metro, which was within walking distance, to get to each of the tour starting points. He told me where to exchange money and get stamps for my post cards. The first morning he brought my breakfast a half hour early so I could make it to my tour. I couldn't have asked for a better host.

The room was clean and comfy. The breakfast was well rounded and tastey. The location was excellent, with many major sites, restaurants, stores, bus and metro stops within walking distance. I greatly enjoyed my stay in the eternal city and the Downtown Accomodation. I would definitely stay at this place again when I hopefully return in the future and strongly recommend this place to all you travelers going to visit this beautiful city. Thanks Lorenzo and God bless.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for all the compliments about me, the room, the location and the breakfast. You are very kind, I really appreciate that! ..and yes Taverna Fori dei Imperali and Taverna Roma are 2 excellent and affordable restaurants just few steps from us.

Hope to see you again and thank you for the excellent review on Tripadvisor..
All the best,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights from June 12-15th and we had a great stay! The location is so central that you can pretty much walk to everything except Vatican. The room is very clean, comfortable. The owner put 2 layers of windows in the room that blocks all the noises, which is precious when you try to have a good night sleep in the centre of any big touristy cities like rome. He also provided detailed maps and pointed out where to go for food. Overall, we had a great time here with amazing location, very welcoming host! I'd totally return here if we go back to Rome again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rome Downtown Accomodation? Share your experiences!