“Great Start to a honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars

Vicolo del Bottino 8, 00187 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)   |
Ranked #319 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“Great Start to a honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

We loved this hotel! Its affiliation with the Hassler makes it all the more superb! The people at both the Hassler and the Palazetto were great! Very friendly and knowledgeable about where to go and what restuarants to go to. The room was the best room I had ever seen/stayed in in Europe. We would definitely stay here again the next time we are in Rome.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2007

I found Il Palazzetto online however, they do not have online booking. I was uncomfortable putting my credit card information in an email, so I had to call Italy to make my reservation. Unlike other hotels, this hotel has a 3 week cancellation policy.

I agree with everything I have read on this site....the rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and the breakfasts are delicious. The problem I had with the place was the entrance. It's on the side of the Spanish Steps and is actually the entrance to the restaurant. You need to walk through the restaurant to get to our room. At night when the restaurant is closed, there are people still hanging around the entrance. You must ring an intercom to get in. I didn't really feel that safe. Luckily, I was only staying one night and my room was not on the main floor.

This hotel is tough to rate. It has all the amenities, is in a great location but the ackwardness of the entrance, the noise and the unsavory peddlers will make me think twice about this hotel for my next visit to Rome

BTW, the bellhop took a very long time to get our bags from our room to the cab waiting infront of The Hassler. Good thing our flight was delayed!

Stayed June 2007
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

Throughout our 3 week honeymoon in Italy, Il Palazzetto was definitely one of the highlights! The room had every modern amenity, an amazing view of the Spanish Steps, and the staff were exceptionally kind and helpful. We purchased their honeymoon package,
which included two nights in the hotel, two breakfasts at the Hassler
and a dinner at the Il Palazzetto restaurant. Everything was beyond perfect and it made leaving Italy so much harder to do.

My husband and I even cancelled one night of our dinner reservations just to stop at a carry-out place and get paninis and dessert and sit on the terrace and relax. The hotel provided a complimentary bottle of wine in honor of our wedding, which we enjoyed. The terrace view is so amazing that there was no need to leave the property!

I would never stay anywhere else when visiting Rome again!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I stayed at il Palazzetto for 3 nights with my boyfriend. I was a little nervous that the hotel wouldn't live up to the price tag, but it did in every respect. The room was big, with a wonderful bathroom. The whole thing was done in neutrals, which was elegant without being boring. The location was perfect. Our room had a lovely view of the Spanish Steps. Noise wasn't an issue though since they had some amazingly light- and sound-proof shutters. They were so good that the first morning I woke up and thought it was still night even though it was 9am! The front desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We sat on the terrace one afternoon and had a wonderful cheese plate and bottle of wine, enjoying the view over the steps and the sunshine. An unexpected bonus was the inclusion of the breakfast at the Hassler. This was hands-down the best breakfast i have ever had at a hotel, it was really a wonderful way to start the day! Rome is an expensive city to stay in from what I have gathered, and taking that into account I think il Palazzetto is a great find!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2007

My wife booked Il Palazetto as a birthday treat and a treat it certainly was. We stayed for 4 days in August and had a superb time.

The hotel was really well located for what we were in Rome to do. As we had not been before we had planned some serious sight seeing and we found that we could walk to all of the major locations within 30/40 minutes. Being right beside the Spanish steps we thought was ideal. Some people had suggested it could be quite noisy, we didn't find it so.

The customer service we received whilst staying at the hotel was exemplary, from the House Manager Isabelle Chan through every member of staff we had the pleasure of engaging with.

Whilst we did not eat in Il Palazetto's restaurant as it was closed during August, we did eat in the Panoramic restaurant at the Hassler where the food was excellent, and what a view!

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2006

Tough one this one!

Il Palazzetto has a lot going for it - it's location is perfect, the rooms are spacious and very comfortably furnished and nicely decorated. We stayed in room 2 which is beautiful, and has a fantastic shower! The food is superb, and the choice of wine is amazing - though it would be it being a wine academy, but still, the quality is obvious.

Another great thing going for Il Palazzetto is its affiliation with the Hotel Hassler. Make no mistake, the Hassler is a grand hotel, as grand as any, however, there is a very real warmth there. The staff I thought were excellent. The ladies that run the breakfast are delightful - very friendly, but a little cheeky with it which is great fun! The breakfast spread by the way is impressive - something for everyone from fruits and cereals to hot scrambled eggs and bacon. Yum! Giovanni on the front door will work tirelessly to get you a taxi, and again, is a real delight. Andrea in the lounge bar is great fun, and extremely friendly, but also excellent at his job - he should be treasured by this hotel as a credit to their industry - he makes wonderful effort on behalf of his guests. His bar colleagues too are first class.

Now for the but, and its big! Il Palazzetto is extremely noisy! They have spent a fortune on keeping the outside noise down to almost zero with great windows and shutters, which are very necessary as the Spanish Steps are RIGHT outside and are crowded all day and night, but the inside of the building is made of marble, and the sound literally reverborates so that even a whisper on the ground floor, is like a scream by the time it reaches the rooms at the top. The staff are up and down the stairs all the time, and obviously have a chat as they go, but the resulting echo means that you will hear everything! The biggest problem however is the noise generated on the rooftop. The tables and chairs are cast iron, and at 7am the cleaning and waiting staff are preparing for their day, and these tables and chairs are dragged across the roof, and the noise that comes into the room is deafening. You will not sleep later than 7am for sure, and will not be able to go to bed until at least 10pm at night when again, the terraces are being cleaned, and the tables and chairs are being dragged. After long days on the hoof, your room is where you go for some quiet sanctuary, but this is not possible here, not at all.

Saying that, if you don't plan to be in your room during these times, then this review shouldn't put you off. There is plenty to recommend about Il Palazzetto, and if not for the noise problem, I'd have rated it as excellent, but after a long year and a real need for relaxation, I did have a problem with not being able to sleep at least a little longer.

PS - for tours of the city, try Through Eternity. Knowledgable for sure, but its more like being out with friends than a tour guide. I highly recommend them.

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

We recently stayed here with our three month old baby and I have to say the staff of the Palazzetto and the Hassler were always on hand for help and advice. Service was extremely efficient and very friendly and personal, amazing considering how many guests go through the doors of the Hassler each day. The doorman even greeted our baby each morning using her name!. We loved this hotel and would now definatly stay there every time we are in Rome.

The rooms were smart and had a great view of the Spanish steps, if you like absolute silence you may not like this as its full of hubbub at night but we liked it. The food in the restaurant of the Palazzetto is also great. The only thing I would advise if you have problems with getting about this probably would not suit you as there are a lot of steps, it also has a lift but it is very small.

• Liked — Excellent service in the centre of Rome
  • Disliked — Lots of steps!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Il Palazzetto? Share your experiences!