“Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #111 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Edmonton, Canada
“Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed here from June 5-9 and thoroughly enjoyed it! We booked the top floor terrace room which was a hike up and down, but for us not a problem. The room was a good size for the 2 of us and we enjoyed our coffee out on the terrace each morning. The breakfast room is very nicely allocated and provided a bit more of a start on the day than I'd had at the hotel we stayed at in Paris that only offered croissants. Here we had juices, milk, fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, and a meat/cheese selection. The coffee was good too. Steps away from the Piazza Navona and tons of other sites. We walked everywhere from the hotel.
Best coffee: Piazza Sant Eustachio Il Caffe (pay at till then take ticket to counter and drink there)
Best Gelato: San Crispino (found it while walking from Spanish Steps to the Trevi fountain)
2 excellent restaurants: one in the Piazza S.Ignazio, the other in Piazza S. Maria in Trastevere called "Ristorante Galeassi". Excellent food, service, and ambiance!!
Best spa: El Spa (word of advice...europeans are more open than little Canadian girls : P The Hammam they offer was excellent and I got over being shy very quickly)
We did 3 walking tours with the company "Through Eternity" and found them very informative.
One word of advice from our tour guide on the Rome at Twilight tour...when in Rome and crossing the street "just close your eyes and go"...very fitting as Rome drivers are CRAZY!! We have been to cities in France, Turkey, and Greece in our travels and Rome drivers are insane. Just cross street and make eye contact with the drivers. If you slow down they'll speed up to get around you!
I loved every moment in Italy and would stay at this hotel again..and yes, I am recommending it to friends who are travelling there in the future.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Low air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

If it was possible to assign 3 1/2 "stars" that is probably what I would have chosen. I think this was better than 3 but not quite four.

We stayed here for 2 nights each at the beginning and end of our trip in May 2008. Agree with everyone on the following -

- wonderful wonderful location - a block off of Piazza Navona, a quick walk to the Vatican, easy access to Trevi/Pantheon etc
- the street (Coronari) is chock full of interesting shops - antiques, jewelrey, posters/paintings, awsome coffee bars and a few decent restaurants
- the street is marked "area pedonale" (supposed to be pedestrian only) - ha! many mopeds, cars and even trucks totally ignore this!
- once inside the stairs are steep - the hosts were more than accomodating with offering to haul our luggage up for us - we declined as we were fine but know that they are willing
- breakfast was quite fine - I liked the addition of protein (there was always a meat and cheese tray out) and my husband enjoyed the cakes/tarts - agree with the person who commented on the lack of cappucino/espresso - however we found a number of fabulous coffee bars on via Coronari and who can complain about 2E worth of coffee (0.90 for husband's espresso and 1.10E for my cappuccino - I just about cried when I think about what the same order costs us at Starbucks!)

On our first stay we had room 3

- it is very small but was perfectly fine for us as we were essentially just sleeping there
- we slept with the window open but there is lots and lots of street noise - unbelieveably noisy pedestrians until the wee hours of the morning, and then the seagulls start! - we're not overly fussy sleepers so while irritating and enough to cause us to wake up every few hours it wasn't life altering - could be for fussy sleepers though
- the bathroom was a bit dated and was not spotless, in my opinion - it was definitely surface clean and nothing horrific but I'm fussy and when my eyes wandered to corners of the floor or the edge of the shower, it just wasn't spotless - my husband, who is not fussy, didn't notice and didn't care - it wasn't enough to ruin anything but it was just there
- this was a small shower room but this being our third trip to Europe staying in similar class hotels this has ceased to faze us
- while perfectly adequate this was not my favourite room of the trip however, all of the other things (LOCATION!!! and being on such an awesome street and everyone being quite friendly) overcame this issue in my opinion

On our return we were assigned Room D:

- what a difference! This room (as described in a previous review) had an anteroom with a single bed and a bedroom with a larger bed
- the bathroom was much larger with a tub shower! (after 16 days this was enough for a dance of joy - the space!) - this bathroom was much more modern than room 3 and this time was definitely spotlessly clean (I hate the subliminal impulse that starts my eyes wandering where maybe you just don't need to see things, you know?? :) )
- as the previous poster mentioned, we also slept with all of the windows closed except the bathroom to allow for air flow and this worked just fine - during the day with the windows open the street noise was quite loud (I can't even imagine what hotels on main streets must be like if this was an "area pedonale"!) - we didn't wake up at all with this arrangement
- I liked this room much much better and this improved my overall outlook of this hotel - that's the rub with B&Bs/Palazzo's/Residenza's (in my opinion), they are lovely, authentic, quaint and not a generic Sheraton or Westin and a great way to meet other people but not all the rooms are the same and it can sometimes make or break your experience!

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend staying here. If we return to Rome, I think I would still research other options (I'm not convinced this was the "one" for me) but I probably wouldn't try too hard if nothing was immediately apparant in this kind of price range.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

What really sold this place to us was its location and we weren't disappointed. We walked everywhere, the furthest point being the colosseum at around 30 minutes, but we didn't need to go far in the evening as there were plenty of good restaurants on the doorstep (Try Santa Lucia down the street opposite the hotel which has a lovely terrace and was one of the few spots where we didn't get harrassed by street touts, rose sellers or talentless musicians!)

What we were a little disappointed with was the room. We arrived at dusk and even with all the lights on the room seemed so dingy, combined with the dated furnishings it made us feel quite depressed, although it wasn't so bad in the morning when we got some daylight in there. The 'air-con' is a very old heater which doubles up as a fan and doesn't seem to cool the room at all, luckily we didn't need it while we were there but I can imagine it gets pretty hot in there. On the positive side, the rooms are kept clean and the shower pressure is good. They could just be so much nicer with some updated furnishing and good lighting. (I know, furnishing is difficult because you can't suit everyone's taste and I'm not saying it should be all modern and bland, but you can't argue with me about the lighting!)

The staff are very helpful, which we only really discovered on the last day, I wish we had asked them for more advice!

To summarise; it won't impress you, but it's a clean hotel in a good location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — unappealing room decor/lighting
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

My wife and I stayed in two rooms in the 10-room Residenza Canali ai Coronari for 11 nights in late April and early May, so we feel well-qualfied to comment. All considered, we were satisfied with our choice. The small staff makes a real difference. They are eager to meet any need or answer any question -- notably Stefano, star receptionist and, in our experience, the heart of the hotel...er, bed-and-breakfast.

Our first room, Room C, was for three nights. It was on the third floor -- second floor in European terms. It had a tiny anteroom, tiny bedroom, tiny bathroom and shower and one large window, on Via Coronari. Note well: Via Coronari is touted as a "pedestrian" street, but it has light car and Vespa (moped) traffic day and night. You will hear that, as well as the loud conversations of passersby, if you are a light sleeper. Fortunately, it was cool enough to close the window at night and be comfortable. Closed, the windows block out noise well. There is air-conditioning and heating, but neither was in season in the time we stayed.

Then we were moved to Room D across the hall. It had a larger anteroom, larger bedroom, larger bathroom. Best of all, the bathroom window could be left open at night, allowing the bedroom and anteroom windows to be closed. Bliss. Slept right through. The shower was in the bathtub, and worked great. In fact, the Canali's modern bathrooms get an "A" from us for cleanliness and function.

The breakfast room was small and just adequately lighted, but the breakfast itself was good enough to satisfy us for the entire stay without getting bored. A decent selection and quite fresh. We found that most other guests during our stay were foreign -- English, Dutch, French, etc. -- with only a few Americans.

The Canali is not in any sense a luxury hotel. It is a bed-and-breakfast -- not usually our cup of tea. Its steps are steep, its decor dated except for the bathrooms. But it is warmly friendly, spotlessly maintained and perfectly located -- not a bad trifecta. Any doubts we had on check-in had vanished long before we left.

Stayed April 2008
Krakow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

Me and my wife spent 4 days at RC. Pensione is small and does not have too much to offer. The shower is very small, hairdryer is weak and it used to turn on without any reason – we kept the cable out of the power socket. But generally the bathroom was nice and kept clean with everyday fresh towels and soap. Rooms tidy but there was big closet in the corridor – for 4 days it was just enough. The staff is OK, but I tried to use PC – the monitor was broken and someone was supposed to take care of it next day, and next day… someone is to… So I visited Internet café regularly. There are narrow stairs to the first floor where reception is - so do not recommend for people with disabilities.
I do also advise to order the shuttle from the airport – hotel offers it for €45 which is quite reasonable - taxi costs pretty the same but when you are first time in Rome Residenza is not easy to find RC. Breakfast – I got used to solid ones, but although there is quite limited choice I was satisfied – specially with cheese, ham and bread/rolls quality. So it was Ok to start the day. But do not expect crispy bacon or eggs, etc.
So taking all of that into consideration €180/night (while paying a cash) is quite expensive.
Now the best part. It’s perfectly located. One minute from Piazza Navona, 15’ from Vatican and Fontana di Trevi or Spanish Steps, 20-25’ from Forum Romanum, etc… You will find a lot of fine night life close to Piazza Navona (if you are more pub fun enter PN and turn right in the middle the go into net of small streets – you will find nice pubs, some with live music) or Pantheon. We ate close to the last one at Hostaria – small but with very friendly owner – they served excellent ravioli with mushroom dressing.
So what you really pay for is a piece of rather hard mattress in the real heart of Rome.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

We stayed at this B&B for 3 nights. It is very conveniently located and we could walk everywhere. The only time we didn't walk was when we were tired and wanted to go to Trastevere one evening.

Breakfast is adequate..usual sort of breakfast - cereal/croissant/cheese/juice. Staff were semi friendly. The rooms are small like everywhere in Europe. There is heating.

The only downside is that there are stairs to climb to reach reception and the rooms, so if you have heavy luggage or have difficulty climbing then this probably isn't the best place for you.

We had travelled from quite far and had asked for a pick up from the airport. I would definitely recommend this because on our own we would have found it tiresome after a long flght and difficult to find the B&B on our own since it is located in a small alley. The driver that picks you up in his mercedes doesn't know much English so knowing some Italian is useful!

We had a fine and comfortable stay there. Thought that 180 Euros cash was a bit pricey but then realised that for the location that's the price you have to pay in places like Rome/Venice.

Would recommend it if you are ok with stairs.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

As has been said this is a sweet almost hidden place on a cobble stone road in a wonderful location of incredible Rome. The staff is very helpful and the building has an old world yet upscale apartment feel. The room for breakfast is set beautifully everyday with matching china, fresh flowers and the selections changed every day with great detail to cold juices appealing looking service and fresh foods. Something new every day of our four night stay. Our room with a window out to the street was small but comfortable and it was not a noisy street. This hotel has many stairs and is not for the handicapped. This room had the smallest shower I have ever seen. There needs to be a weight limit for this room or you would never move around at all in this shower. This place is great but there are some things that need attention or that was a little puzzling to us for the money. The drains are so slow you are standing in your shower water and must get out at the top or it will spill over. Same with the sink. They have beautiful bathrooms but time to clean some drains also you don't hear the street but you can hear others get up use their hair dryers etc. and we became so used to having someone make great cappuccinos or espresso in all the other places we stayed that the availability of just coffee from a self serve container was a little disappointing but still high marks for breakfast. There was one other thing that was strange. You have a small honor bar in your room but we did not have anyone tell us that the beverages and snacks that are there upon arrival are yours and included in the room price. We only discovered this when we asked for the price list to the honor bar selection and was told of the extra treats. Perhaps it was just an error at check in but let it be known enjoy your treats! I am sure there was more to enjoy but Rome was just out the front door and 4 nights was simply not enough. Down the street to the right as you leave the front door and come out to the main little street down past the antique shops on the left was a great wine bar/restaurant and down farther on the left was a great hand made gelato shop also across from the great wine bar that offers a nice appetizer hour just across the way from them is another restaurant on the other side of the water fountain where I received the ground zero worst risotto I have ever had in my life and I have now made it a shrine to what the worst can be but there is so much around that area and , well , as always we had a great time and this hotel added to our experience !

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the shower drain
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Residenza Canali ai Coronari? Share your experiences!