“Traditional, laid back and yummy!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #994 of 8,707 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Ristorante Tipico Romano a Trastevere
Devon
“Traditional, laid back and yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We have visited this restaurant many times - this week it was the main motivation to travel 140km across Italy, but well worth it. We have eaten here as a family and as a couple and it is a restaurant that we all enjoy - the food and the atmosphere. There is a laid back approach to the waiting but it is always friendly and welcoming. The food is excellent. We have eaten all over Italy and find it hard to match the experience we have here. As a family we have a ecclectic palate and find that the menu offers a range of foods such as fresh meat, sea food, vegetarian, pizza and pasta. The cold salad bar is interesting and diverse and offers something alternative. I would definitely agree with mnhall that the Bruschette is wonderful!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Loved the Fish Soup”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We went here because we were recommended by Luigi, a seventysomething year old local Roman. Situated in Trastevere, one of thebest areas to go out at night, it made or a typical italian evening. We also saw a few celebrities: players of the local Roma soccer team. The food was high quality. Not cheap, but made for a memorable and out of the ordinary evening.

Visited May 2012
Toronto
“Decent food but there is better in Rome”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Recently while travelling with a small group (6 people) we stopped at the da Otello for lunch. The restaurant had been recommended by an Italian friend to one of our group.

Upon arrival we were sat at two tables outside, there is no room outside to accommodate a group of 6 or more as the "patio" is located on a narrow side street. The waiter spoke English which made it convenient for our group and our limited Italian. He recommended that we look at the Roman specialities on the menu. Based on his recommendation I ordered a salumi antipasti plate and the roast lamb, which the waiter said was the best dish on the menu. My partner ordered a caprese salad and beef rolls (piece of beef rolled and stuffed). Several people in the group order the mixed seafood salad as an appetizer and the roast lamb as a main.

I found the lamb to be just okay - it was over cooked though not tough. I prefer my lamb a little pink. Also, the portion was just small pieces and I found myself wanting more. The roast potatoes that came with the lamb were the highlight of the plate. The salami appetizer was just okay and not what I expected. It was listed as a Roman specialty but what I got I could pull out of my fridge in Canada. My partners caprese salad was good and she really liked the beef rolls. They reminder her of a German dish her family makes. She found the filling very flavourful. The people that ordered the mixed seafood felt there was too much calamari and not enough variety. Others that got the lamb felt it was just okay.

It bit of a disappointing experience.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Busy but it can't be for the food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Nice location in heart of Trastevere but although the place was busy that was probably just because it is cheap. Service was average, particularly if you didn't speak Italian and the food was mediocre. Lots of better options all around so I can't understand why they don't make the effort. Missed opportunity.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Terrible the worst in Rome they are in nice venue nice spot. in Trastevere but sucks everythings brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Visited February 2012