“Excellent hotel, average service.” 4 of 5 stars

THE HIGHEST
Ranked #50 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester
“Excellent hotel, average service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I cannot be unfair by giving this hotel any less than a 'four circle' rating: the hotel was ideally placed in the centre of Rome, near to The Forum and the Coliseum, and also a short walk into the centre of the city; the three rooms that our party occupied were spacious, comfortable and finished to a high standard - I was fortunate to have one that looked t onto the Temple of Hercules at the front.

However, a number of the front of house staff that I encountered were very laid back, and I do not mean this in a positive way. At times, when ringing the concierge or, in particular, when interacting with the bar staff, my friends and I got the impression that we were more of a hindrance than a source of their income.

That aside, the roof-top bar and restaurant was a delight in that it afforded great views of the immediate area and beyond; it was a great place to meet in the afternoon/evening for a drink or meal. We did eat here on our first night and found the food to be excellent and priced accordingly.

The breakfast available in the morning was buffet-style and the choice was excellent: ranging from cereal and fruits to continental options and cooked eggs, bacon and sausage.

Despite the laissez-faire attitude of some of the staff, I would recommend this hotel as a great base to explore Rome. Just don't expect to be treated like an Emporer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the fact that many positive points of Fortyseven were pointed out and enjoyed by your party of travellers and your ‘four circle’ rating.
We have received so very many compliments on our service, in particular our Front Office Reception for their courtesy, sincere interest in our Guests and professionalism that I must say that your comments referring to ‘average service’ has taken me a bit back. Our Reception Staff at this point is often times mentioned by name as to best highlight the satisfaction by our Guests. For example: ‘ Claudia went far, far beyond her ordinary responsibilities to help me find something I could only buy in one store in Rome and managed to make what seemed like an impossible search easy and successful’
We hope to have you with us again in the near future.
Personal Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This made our vacation a real "Roman Holiday". The hotel is an old structure which has been updated to very modern boutique hotel. Our first stay was February 2008. The room was huge and had one of the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept in. They had a great signature scent for the toiletries "fig". To this day when I smell fig I think of the Forty Seven Hotel. It is right next to the Bocca de la Verita from the movie Roman Holiday. The day before we left they opened up the rooftop restaurant with amazing views of Rome. I know this review is a bit late but I just had to share it

• Stayed February 2013
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
How can a great review be LATE!
I take it you saw the movie?!
Hope to have you with us again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in April for our honeymoon and were very impressed!

Location is perfect for sight seeing and the reception staff couldn't do enough for you, advised us on open top bus tours and even local restaurants to eat at.

The rooms are spacious and stunning, we had a room over looking the main road but the windows blocked put any noise at all so had great nights sleeps especially with the black out blinds..

The restaurant on the rooftop terrace is very over priced and even for drinks it cost €15 for 2 drinks but the view was lovely, we didn't eat there but the menu looked very expensive considering there are many local authentic Italian restaurants for a fraction of the price to eat with much more Italian atmosphere.

We couldnt fault our trip, hotel or the most of the staff but if I had one complaint it was that the consierge was an American lady and was only really interested in speaking with the American guests, at breakfast for 3 days in a row she ignored our table and spoke to every American guest sat around us, offering advise on tourist attractions and discussing their stay....not that this bothered us too much as we enjoyed discovering rome for ourselves but I suppose it would have been polite of her to at least acknowledge the English tourist as much as the Americans.

Anyway I would without a doubt stay at this hotel again and would highly recommend it....

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review. Hotel Fortyseven is happy to know that it helped to add to a ‘perfect honeymoon’!
Part of my job as Personal Guest Relations Manager is to greet Guests at breakfast. Therefore, I was the American woman who you were referring to.
I take into consideration the following:
-how crowded is the breakfast area
-have the Guests finished eating
-do they seem ‘open’ to being approached
-what time of the morning is it
-are they engrossed in their own conversation
-are there children or teenagers present
-are there ’special’ needs required by the Guest that I have been informed of
I DO NOT know which country the Guests are from most of the time. Hotel Fortyseven boasts a list of Guests from all over the world. It simply doesn’t make ‘business sense’ for me to only speak with Americans.
Having said that, without a doubt, you were offended and I am sorry for that.
We hope to have the pleasure of having back with us at Fortyseven, perhaps for an anniversary?!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Loved this hotel- quiet, friendly and very helpful staff, better than average breakfast selections, central location near Trastevere and the old Jewish Ghetto, easy to walk almost anywhere and not too far (15 min walk) to the Metro station as well. Rooms were big, modern, super clean and the bathrooms large and well appointed. Nice rooftop restau/bar as well. even a gym! Cost was high but the luxury was well worth it. We'll definitely stay here again. Grazie 47 Hotel!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
‘Excellent all around’ is quite a compliment!
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We really appreciate it.
By the way, did you try the almond chocolate breakfast cake? Hope so…
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed six nights in this lovely modern hotel. Great location: five minutes to Capitoline Museums and easy access to Forum, as well as a short walk to Trastavere and its restaurants. In fact, we walked everywhere - even the Vatican. Being near the river made it easy to navigate - a big perk in Rome! Excellent complimentary breakfast, free wifi, a/c, clean quiet rooms with comfortable beds and a private balcony. Perfect hotel!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Location is one of our pluses here at 47. Thanks for pointing that out to others!
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I do a great deal of traveling and have been to Rome several times in the past 18 months. And while there are better hotels in the city, few can match what the Fortyseven has to offer for a reasonable price. It is modern, clean, tech and workout friendly (including a steam room), a stone's throw away from some great sites like Circus Maximus, a brisk 15-minute walk from major shopping areas, just across the bridge from Trastevere and, best of all, an incredibly helpful and friendly staff, especially Claudia Caccioppoli. Claudia went far, far beyond her ordinary responsibilities to help me find something I could only buy in one store in Rome and managed to make what seemed like an impossible search easy and successful. I agree with Juan R: stay there!

Room Tip: Ask for outside, not courtyard, view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
So, now we have Guests who are quoting Guests. This is getting confusing!!! Having said that, thanks for the great review.
Claudia is as lovely as she is professional and we are fortunate to have her as part of the 47 Team. We look forward to having you with us again.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel itself is lovely, but the location leaves much to be desired. There's not really anything that the hotel can do about it, but I wish that I knew just how isolated this place was. No restaurants, no bars, no stores, nor anything other than ruins is close by. Anything is at least a 10 minute walk. Again, the staff is very nice; the rooms are nice; and the service is good; but if you want to be able to walk out your door and get a coffee or cocktail, this is NOT the place to stay.

Room Tip: I booked through Tablet and got some sort of "upgrade."
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
I’ve responded to lots of reviews by now. Location is one of the attributes of the hotel that people usually write about. Let’s take a look at a few of them.
-‘Location is within minutes of all points of interest’
-‘Even though it is close to the centre (the colosseum is only 20 mins walk, and you could easily and comfortably walk from there to all the main sites; piazza navona, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain)’
-‘The hotel location is excellent, historic buildings within 50 yards but more importantly its just a thoroughly enjoyable 20 minute stroll to the Colliseum and Vatican City’
-‘The rooftop restaurant and bar affords stunning views over the River and Trastevere area beyond. Trastevere just across the river, is packed with great bars and restaurants, as well as lovely squares, churches and fountains’
-‘This hotel is in a fantastic location, just 10 min walk from the Colosseum. We went on an evening stroll and managed to see the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and major squares all within an hour and a half... it really is in a great place’
-‘A lovely location and eating just across the bridge to the Trastevere area in any of the many pizzerias and restaurants was very good quality and good value’
- ‘Other locations near by:
- The Forum + Palantine Hill (12 mins walking)
- Circo Maximus (7mins walking)
- Colosseum (15mins walking)
- Piazza Venezia (15mins walking)
- Pantheon (20mins walking)
- Cestius Pyramid - next to cemetery where Keats is buried (35mins walking).
- The Tiber River is a 60s walk from the front of the hotel! You can always find the hotel if you can find the river! The Ponte Fabrico (the oldest bridge in Rome) is a 5 min walk along the river.
- Fumicino Airport: 30-35 mins ride
By cab: it is 10Euros to get to the Vatican in light traffic and 11Euros to get to the Borghese Gallery.
Public Transport: On the street to the right of the hotel, there are about 6 bus stops so you can hop on a bus to anywhere. The 2 closest metro stations are about a 10-15 min walk away: Circo Maximus (10mins) and Colosseum (15mins)’
-‘The location was great - we walked almost everywhere. We ate most of our meals in Trastevere, which is a short walk across the river’
-‘Location is magic’
As you can see, they are all quotes. My favourite of all of them is the gentleman who counted his STEPS in an Italian review!

-‘Isola Tiberina: 126 steps
Bocca della Verità: 84 steps
Arco di Giano e chiesa di San Giorgio al Velabro: 48 steps
Lungotevere: 79 steps
Piazza Venezia: 241 steps
Teatro di Marcello 148 steps
Portico d'Ottavia: 201 steps
Monte Campidoglio: 155 steps’
Trastevere: 306 steps
Circo Massimo:110 steps
I leave my case to rest.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to responding to your review.
Personal Guest Relations Manager

Been to Fortyseven Hotel Rome? Share your experiences!