“Nice Hotel, Inconvenient Location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Easter Surprise 2014
Ranked #45 of 1,263 hotels in Rome
New York City, New York
“Nice Hotel, Inconvenient Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel itself is lovely, but the location leaves much to be desired. There's not really anything that the hotel can do about it, but I wish that I knew just how isolated this place was. No restaurants, no bars, no stores, nor anything other than ruins is close by. Anything is at least a 10 minute walk. Again, the staff is very nice; the rooms are nice; and the service is good; but if you want to be able to walk out your door and get a coffee or cocktail, this is NOT the place to stay.

Room Tip: I booked through Tablet and got some sort of "upgrade."
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
I’ve responded to lots of reviews by now. Location is one of the attributes of the hotel that people usually write about. Let’s take a look at a few of them.
-‘Location is within minutes of all points of interest’
-‘Even though it is close to the centre (the colosseum is only 20 mins walk, and you could easily and comfortably walk from there to all the main sites; piazza navona, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain)’
-‘The hotel location is excellent, historic buildings within 50 yards but more importantly its just a thoroughly enjoyable 20 minute stroll to the Colliseum and Vatican City’
-‘The rooftop restaurant and bar affords stunning views over the River and Trastevere area beyond. Trastevere just across the river, is packed with great bars and restaurants, as well as lovely squares, churches and fountains’
-‘This hotel is in a fantastic location, just 10 min walk from the Colosseum. We went on an evening stroll and managed to see the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and major squares all within an hour and a half... it really is in a great place’
-‘A lovely location and eating just across the bridge to the Trastevere area in any of the many pizzerias and restaurants was very good quality and good value’
- ‘Other locations near by:
- The Forum + Palantine Hill (12 mins walking)
- Circo Maximus (7mins walking)
- Colosseum (15mins walking)
- Piazza Venezia (15mins walking)
- Pantheon (20mins walking)
- Cestius Pyramid - next to cemetery where Keats is buried (35mins walking).
- The Tiber River is a 60s walk from the front of the hotel! You can always find the hotel if you can find the river! The Ponte Fabrico (the oldest bridge in Rome) is a 5 min walk along the river.
- Fumicino Airport: 30-35 mins ride
By cab: it is 10Euros to get to the Vatican in light traffic and 11Euros to get to the Borghese Gallery.
Public Transport: On the street to the right of the hotel, there are about 6 bus stops so you can hop on a bus to anywhere. The 2 closest metro stations are about a 10-15 min walk away: Circo Maximus (10mins) and Colosseum (15mins)’
-‘The location was great - we walked almost everywhere. We ate most of our meals in Trastevere, which is a short walk across the river’
-‘Location is magic’
As you can see, they are all quotes. My favourite of all of them is the gentleman who counted his STEPS in an Italian review!

-‘Isola Tiberina: 126 steps
Bocca della Verità: 84 steps
Arco di Giano e chiesa di San Giorgio al Velabro: 48 steps
Lungotevere: 79 steps
Piazza Venezia: 241 steps
Teatro di Marcello 148 steps
Portico d'Ottavia: 201 steps
Monte Campidoglio: 155 steps’
Trastevere: 306 steps
Circo Massimo:110 steps
I leave my case to rest.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to responding to your review.

1,286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Halesowen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were really looked after well during our stay. The staff were excellent and very helpful, always willing to point us in the direction of a good restaurant or helping us get around the city. My partner wanted to see a particular church in the city, the lady in reception gave us the bus number, how many stops and even sold us the bus tickets. She was spot on.

We were also given a free map when we arrived which the reception staff kindly explained all the local points and ringed them on the map for us. This proved invaluable and was great just to put in your pocket without having to keep getting the big guide books out!

The hotel room was very good. Clean and comfortable with nice fluffy towels, bath robes and slippers. After reading a review online it was suggested the best rooms were on the fifth floor with balcony. I kindly requested one and was pleasantly surprised when I was given exactly what I had asked. The view was great and we did enjoy a couple of nights on the balcony as the sun set, unwinding after a busy day seeing all the sights.

Even though it is close to the centre (the colosseum is only 20 mins walk, and you could easily and comfortably walk from there to all the main sites; piazza navona, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain) the room was still very quiet and we did not notice any traffic noise during our stay.

My biggest warning to any visitors travelling to Rome, be very wary of the underground and pick pockets. My partner had her purse taken from her bag while boarding the train. We were pushed onto a train in a last minute surge and while the scuffle took place the purse was taken. Luckily there was only a few euros in there and a euro travel card which we cancelled with little hassle and impact on the rest of the holiday. Just be vigilant at all times.

All in all a great break, and thanks to all the staff at Fortyseven.

Room Tip: Fifth floor with balacony if you can get one. Very quiet and great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Enjoying the sunset on a private balcony must have been very special! I wonder if you also had a view of the ancient temples or the characteristic rooftops of Rome? Either way, the fifth floor is a winner!
Thanks for the positive review.
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

GREAT HOTEL. Beautiful and boutique as the name implies, it was recently renovated. The breakfast is good, the staff is very nice and helpful, it is located near the circus maximus, the forum and colosseum and the price was very reasonable. I can't say enough about this hotel, STAY THERE!! BTW get the trip advisor ap for your phone...don't know what I would have done without it. Use the "point me there" option and it will take you wherever you want to go and the best part is that you don't need WIFI to use it, the location service of the phone tells the ap where you are...AWESOME AP and AWESOME HOTEL!!!! and no I wasn't paid by Trip Advisor to write this :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thanks for the awesome review!
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed for five nights and would definitely return to this wonderful hotel! All of the staff was very friendly and attentive from the time I booked the reservation until we checked out. We arrived earlier than check in time and I expected we would store our bags, but we were checked in immediately. When I made the reservation, the hotel asked when we expected to arrive and I believe they made a special effort to have everything ready for us. A very nice surprise. Our room was a suite on the fifth floor with a gorgeous terrace/wonderful view! The room size was perfect to acommodate our family of four (including two boys ages 8 and 10). We all thought the room was lovely, with comfortable beds and a nice shower. The location was great - we walked almost everywhere. We ate most of our meals in Trastevere, which is a short walk across the river. The hotel restaurant on the sixth floor was good, and we found the breakfast buffet to have a nice variety. I want to emphasize that I think this is an excellent hotel for families. It is sometime difficult to find just the right place when you have children, and not only was the room ideal, the staff was very attentive to my children. Upon arrival, the staff made my children feel very welcome and even made sure they had a selection of new English language videos to watch (perfect after long days of walking!). My youngest son had a birthday while we were on holiday, and there was a delicious piece of cake waiting for him in our room on his birthday. We look forward to returning to Rome in the future and will definitely stay at Fortyseven Hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I was so delighted to read that ALL of the family had a positive stay at 47!
We realize that it’s the ‘little things’ that make the ‘big difference’ when choosing the right hotel.
When it comes to kids---we luv’em!
Looking forward to seeing the family again.
California City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Could not say more good things about this hotel if I tired. Great service, staff (Marko and Claudia) in particular were very helpful making our stay so convenient and easy. Rooms were clean and spacious. Location is magic. Could not recommend it enough. If you have the budget, trust it, this will be your best experience of your trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
I found your review short and sweet---and greatly appreciated!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Extremely attentive and caring staff. The airline lost our luggage and the hotel staff completely took over the task of recovering it for us.

Recommendations for restaurants and places to go were always right on. Location is within minutes of all points of interest. The rooms were comfortable and beautifully decorated.

All in all, a real winner.

• Stayed April 2013
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
We understand that almost nothing is worse than arriving in a foreign place without your luggage!
It’s nice to be called a winner. Thank you very much for the review.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Warm welcome from reception set the standard of service that was to be enjoyed throughout, whether it was taxi booking (really neat system guarantees a taxi in 4 minutes), map interpretation or finding the English speaking doctor. Nothing was too much trouble and as a stickler for excellent service I found every member of their small team focussed on us having a great holiday.
Based on a main road our room was well shielded from the noise by the excellent electronic controlled shutters and double glazing.Bedrooms and bathrooms are well decorated and the finishing touches of slippers and wraps were lovely.
Food......breakfast which was inclusive in our tariff had just about every choice you could name, hot,cold and fresh. The roof terrace restaurant was excellent (you need to book) with good wine choices and we tested it for lunch and dinner.
The hotel location is excellent, historic buildings within 50 yards but more importantly its just a thoroughly enjoyable 20 minute stroll to the Colliseum and Vatican City.
Despite 6 days we still didnt finish our list of sites to visit and will probably return Easter 2014 which will need no planning as we will simply re-book Hotel 47.............there is no better recommendation.
Alan & Sheila Lynes 11 April 2013

Room Tip: Dont worry they are all lovely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Six days with any hotel is enough time to really get an idea of what their philosophy is all about. ‘ I found every member of their small team focussed on us having a great holiday’ is a huge compliment! We take our Guests seriously. It’s as simple as that.
Looking forward to having you for Easter 2014! Feel free to contact me personally for your booking.
Personal Guest Relations Manager

Been to Fortyseven Hotel Rome? Share your experiences!