“Absolutely Loved our Stay” 5 of 5 stars

That's Amore Holidays Hotel
Piazza Bologna,6, 00162 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #1,385 of 2,885 Rome B&B and Inns
Maryland
“Absolutely Loved our Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

We really loved our stay here. The hosts, location, price and comfort all made this an amazing stay!

We stayed in one of the bedrooms with a shared bathroom, but that was no problem at all and we really hardly ever saw the other guests and never had a bathroom issue - especially since there are 2. The rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable. The bed we thought was the most comfortable of anywhere we stayed in Italy and the AC worked great.

Our room had a balcony, which didn't overlook anything special but made it fee more traditional. We really appreciated the many many english channels on the TV too - most of any hotel we stayed in. I know, you may think "why do we need TV in Italy? We're not here to watch TV" but really when everything all day is in another language and every little thing is so different we were so exhausted by the end of the day it was nice to be able to watch a little TV in english and unwind.

The hosts of course are what really make this place special and really make your stay in Rome enjoyable. Teaching us about the buses really saved us a lot of time and money. Getting around was really pretty easy -once we knew how.

The only thing I would comment on is the directions getting there from the metro. We were fairly confused by the ones given and although it only took 15 min to figure it out I don't like not knowing where I'm going in a strange place and with luggage.

Our take on directions: When you come out of the metro station the directions said to look "left for a news stand and it was there" but this is not only vague but in our minds incorrect. When you come out of the news stand you made a right and a right out of the metro so that you are walking way from the underground metro you came out of . The news stand is in the middle of the circle (sort of -and hard to detect) but the building is then on your left. If you google the address and do a "street view" map you can print out a picture of what the building looks like. Then when she buzzes you in you have to know that the "1st' floor in Italy means the "2nd" floor for Americans. Hope this helps!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

Daniella and Michaela were absolutely wonderful to us. They answered all of our questions and provided us with great tips for the city.

If you are travelling by train, the B and B is very easy to get to. Don't take a cab. That was our mistake. They will give you the 'travellers' discount. The metro is the easiest and most cost effective way to there.
From the Bologna, you are not too far away from all of Romes major attractions and sights. We used the Roma pass and it was perfect. It provided us with entry into the Colosseum and also 3 days of unlimited public transit.

As for the room, we had a large and comfortable room to stay in and great air con. If you are a light sleeper, bring some ear-plugs because the building is outside a major intersection. But that is certainly no reason to not stay here. We also had a little kitchen to cook and keep our left overs. Incidentally, the other room in our suite was not booked, so we actually ended up with an apartment in Rome to ourselves. It was perfect!

Great place run by wonderful people. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NE Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

This is a long review, but I can’t sleep! We are staying here for 3 nights, July 17-20, 2009.

It is Sunday morning and I am sitting at the breakfast table in Rome at B&B Bologna after our first full day in Rome writing this review. In a short amount of time Daniela or Michaela will be around to make the coffee and tea and bring in the breakfast. The breakfast is a truly Italian one of sweet breads, croissants and coffee. They also have cereal. It is not a full English or American breakfast, but then again, it is not in England or America! My family (my parents who are celebrating 50 years of marriage, my wife and 8 year old daughter) and I are staying in the 2nd floor 2 bedroom apartment complete with a small kitchen. (translation: 2nd floor = 3rd floor in American English) Both bedrooms open up to a balcony overlooking the Piazza Bologna. The balcony is the longest narrowest balcony I have ever seen, but it is big enough to sit out and eat breakfast in the morning or sip a glass of wine in the evening while watching the everyday Romans go about their daily life.

Just being here 3 days, we already have seen the locals and learned some of their routines and their rhythm of life. There is the flower lady who trims beautiful sunflowers at the magazine stand in the Piazza. There is the woman who leans out of her window watching her neighbors go the grocery store, I am betting she is the one who knows what everybody is doing and who is having the affairs in the neighborhood! Then there are the kids in the apartment across the Piazza who bop to the music in their apartment that we can’t quite hear.

As far as the rooms, they are perfectly fine. The beds are large, firm and comfortable. Our room has a pull out couch for our daughter to sleep on. Our bathroom is in the 2 bedroom private apartment, but not attached directly to our room. My parents’ bedroom has a bathroom attached to their room. Our shower has good water pressure, but is possibly the smallest shower I have ever been in! I am fairly large, 6’4” 210 lbs, and I can fit in, but if I drop the soap, I need to open the door and step out to get it!!! The shower in my parents’ room is larger. There is plenty of room on the sink to hold all of our toiletries. There is wireless internet although the signal is a bit weak in this apartment and does not reach the balcony; alas that is why I am not out there right now!

There is an elevator (lift) that is useful for hauling your luggage up the stairs, but it is slower than molasses and only big enough for one person with luggage. (See above for my size!) There is air conditioning in the bedrooms only. It is possibly the most powerful a/c I have ever used in Europe. I actually had to turn it off in the middle off the night because it was so cold! Those of you who are American and traveled to Europe know what I mean, let’s just say many of us Americans are partial to cold rooms.

Finally, the best part of this place, and for me it is truly why we stay in B&Bs, are the hosts. We have not met Aldo yet, but Daniela and her daughter Michaela are wonderful. They live in the same building as the B&B so they are always available, but definitely not intrusive. The earlier review that called Daniela “elderly” was a bit rough. I would say she is quite young and her beautiful daughter even younger!! They have been so helpful. As soon as we got there and got settled in, Michaela gave us a map and proceeded to show us all of the places we might like to see and how to get there. Daniela’s English is good and Michaela’s is excellent, do not hesitate to call them with any questions. Michaela also gave us recommendations on local restaurants that we might like to try. Definitely use these recommendations! The two we tried so far have been great. They were all within walking distance of the apartment; this is a very safe area. Also, we were the only tourists in the restaurants and the people could not have been nicer.

Transportation is perfect. The Metro B Line is right outside the door, 3 stops from Termini and 5 from Colloseum. There are also buses that can take you through the historic center (62) and to the Catacombs of Pricisilla (310). Very easy to use.

All in all, if you want a 4 star hotel, do not stay here, but if you want a great B&B, with helpful owner in a solid location, than B&B Bologna in Rome is the place for you! We will be coming back for the last night of our trip before our flight, and except for the fact that the trip will be nearly over by then, I can’t wait. If you have any questions about the place please send me a message.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

This hotel had the most helpful and friendly hosts I have had the pleasure to meet. They referred us to two very good restaurants that we just loved. It is located in a nice residential neighborhood that gives you a real feel for what it is like to actually live in Rome. Having said that, it is such an easy trip into the heart of the city. The Metro is just outside the front door and is 3 stops from the Termini station. We felt very safe in this area at all times. We loved our room and the photos didn't do it justice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

The facilities at B&B Bologna are fine, nothing amazing. The breakfast is unremarkable - prepackaged pastries and juices. The real selling point are the owners, an elderly couple who are super friendly and happy to give advice on getting the most out of your time in Rome. That made a huge difference.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
World traveler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

As a veteran of 20 trips to Rome and nearly as many hotels, I have found a home at last! The B&B BOLOGNA's 2BR/2BA apt simply cannot be topped for comfort and value -- not to mention genuine friendliness! Perfect for a family of 4 or 2 couples! I will never stay anywhere else! GRAZIE MILLE. ALDO & FAMILY!!

• Stayed May 2009
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I stayed at B&B Bologna for a week and I'm so glad I did. The location is ideal. There are many decent restaurants around. You're right around the corner from the metro but not so much in the middle of town that you're swamped with tourists.

The owner/operators are fantastic and extremely friendly people. Daniella and Micaela were so much fun and just a joy to talk to. They're always ready with information to help you get around or where to eat.

I had a room with shared bathroom but it never felt like it. I had a spacious room with the first proper ceiling fan that I've seen in Europe. I also had proper air conditioning for the first time since moving from Texas. Both were fantastic after walking around Rome all day. I'm very tall at 6'5" and I was easily able to fit in the bed. Breakfast was simple but perfectly adequate and enjoyable.

All in all an excellent experience with excellent value. I strongly suggest a stay at B&B Bologna.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Been to That's Amore Holidays Hotel? Share your experiences!