“very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 1,274 Hotels in Rome
Toronto, Canada
“very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Raffaello on March 11-17, 2012, and were very happy about our stay. Our room was on a small side but ok for 2 people. Bathroom was decent size and had a shower only, which was fine by us. Both room and bathroom were clean and comfortable.

This hotel is located fairly centrally - close to both Termini train station and the Colosseum (10-12 min. on foot), and 5 min. away from the Cavour metro station. It's located in an old residential area called Monti, and is in close proximity to many good restaurants, bars and small grocery stores.

The hotel elevator is very small and could barely hold the 2 of us and 2 suitcases. Free internet via WiFi was available but somewhat slow. Raffaello could improve by adding a printer in the lobby for the guests' use. Breakfast was excellent and service very friendly.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for people who like walking to do their sightseeing and who don't expect a Ritz. I booked directly through Raffaello's website and paid around $900 for a week.

2 Thank Constantine-TA
Emanuela M, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Raffaello Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Dear guest,

We are really happy that the Hotel Raffaello and its staff have satisfied you.

We wish to offer always something more to our clients, we are pleased to print documents through the reception's printer.
On the lounge area a pc station is available .
As you could see the Hotel set on an ancient building of the 19th century, the Wi-Fi signal doesn't arrive well in certain moments due to thick walls, in fact it works really well at the lobby.

We hope to see you pretty soon,

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Friendly staff, free wi-fi, spotless rooms, nice breakfast buffet and free safe deposit are only part of the services the hotel offers. Pretty central, we could reach everywhere by foot. Would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: I did a reservation through the hotel's website and asked for a higher floor. But generally it i...
1 Thank Shira R
Emanuela M, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Raffaello Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
Dear client,

We wish to thank you for your review.
We are glad that we reach to give you a pleasant stay.

We always try to make our best for what concern services, best value for money - we wish to offer our clients everytime something new.

Waiting for your return we send our best wishes,

toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I booked this hotel primarily based on TA recommendations and while what people said was true, there were things left out that may have made me choose another hotel. To be fair, this hotel has its good points and its bad points - some of which are within the control of the hotel and some aren't but I still would have preferred to know everything before choosing to stay here. I hope my review will help others make a more informed decision.

Location:
This is completely subjective. It is within walking distance of a lot of the sites but far from others. The neighbourhood is quite residential and you can find some nice restaurants nearby. Also, if you are arriving or leaving by train, Termini is very close by. The area is safe and is very quiet at night - could be good or bad depending on what you are looking for.

Staff:
For the most part, they are very good and very helpful. One staff member I found was rather rude. She was usually on at night and would often just shrug when she was asked something or, in one instance, she told me I was crazy - see note about the rooms.

Rooms:
Clean and comfortable but housekeeping could have been a little more particular. For example, on our second night my son got some chocolate on his sheets. It was quite a visible smear and the sheets were not changed - the bed was just made up. I knew it was chocolate but it could have been something else...if you know what I mean. I would have expected the sheets to be changed.

Internet access:
This is a huge problem and one that needs to be addressed before the hotel can advertise that they have free wifi in the rooms. They do...sometimes. We were in a corner room and the internet disconnected on a fairly regular basis...when we could even log on. When we told the night reception woman that there was a problem with the internet in our rooms she said that they know. In the corner rooms the reception is bad...what can she do? I asked if maybe she could have a technician look at it which resulted in her saying that I was crazy and that this wasn't an emergency. I could just bring my laptop down to the lobby if I wanted to use the internet. Which is what I did. While I was in the lobby I heard her talking to another gentleman (not sure who he was) but the word "internet" came up often as they both glanced in my direction. I thought this was very unprofessional. If they know that there is a problem with the internet, why don't they fix it instead of claiming to have wifi in the rooms when it doesn't reach the corner rooms.

While we were in the lobby we ran into a couple from England who were also frustrated by the sketchy internet service.

Elevator
This was another thing that I wasn't aware of. The elevator holds three people, maximum, but it looks more like one person who doesn't exhale. Being very claustrophobic this was a problem..and we were on the 4th floor with each level being two staircases. Not the hotel's fault but had I known I would have requested a lower floor. When I inquired the "lovely" woman on reception told me it was not possible to change rooms because they were completely full. Before I could say a word she quickly added, "If you don't believe me walk around the hotel and see for yourself!" She was very rude and her comments were completely uncalled for.

Breakfast
Very good - both hot and cold options. Plenty to choose from and a very nice breakfast area.

All in all an average hotel. I would not go back there. There are many better options. The last time we were in Rome we stayed at Hotel Sonya and I'm sorry I didn't go back there but I wanted to try a new place for a new experience.

Room Tip: If you want wifi access ask for a room that is not in the corner. Ask for a lower floor if you don...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank jaskev
Emanuela M, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Raffaello Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Dear guest,

The Rione Monti is a really nice area, and the Rome's center is wide so we can not be near everything. But the area is a quiet, typical and central of Rome.

All the Staff have a unique thought , satisfy the guests, we try to be the most helpful possible, and this is demonstrated by many reviews. A misunderstanding or a linguistic misconception may happen.

Our rooms are really clean, an error can happen but we still think that our flagship is the cleanliness. All our guests are agree with this. As you can see from the reviews.

We apologize if we resulted unpleasant but we repeat it was a misanderstanding, on words and looks : is normal that she was speaking about the day passed, at the receptionist that began later and so was telling him about issues of internet.

We know that the lift is only for three people but in the Rome center the buildings are ancient and so the lifts are small ones.
We apologize with the receptionist that obviously till the starting, things have not worked well.

Thank you for your review, that will help us not to be an "average" Hotel.

Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My husband & I have just returned from a 3 night stay which I booked as a surprise for his 50th birthday. The hotel was an excellent choice and all the staff were very helpful & made us very welcome, with a complementary bottle of wine & a lovely room. As with all the other reviews the hotel is in a very convenient location, is extremely clean & our room was immaculate and comfortable.
The only complaint I had was that the pillows were very hard but this was sorted out immediately by the reception staff. I was even asked what type of pillow I'd like!!
All in all this is a wonderful hotel which deserves more than its 3 stars & I would recommend it to anyone.
Many thanks to all the hotel staff for their kindness. We hope to return one day.....

• 5 of 5 stars
Emanuela M, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Raffaello Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2012

Thank you so much!
All the Staff has been really delighted to welcome you. We are happy to celebrate our guest's birthday - An important date for everyone.

We wish to offer our clients always the best for comfort, services and value for money.

So do not hesitate to come again! We wait for you!
Warm regards,
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We have just got back from a lovely family weekend in Rome, taking our children aged 12 and 11.
We thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel, the staff were extremely friendly, recommending local restaurants, booking us taxis, dishing out maps, advising on metro tickets etc...
The breakfast was wonderful, as were the staff, and the kids throughly enjoyed having a hot chocolate every morning.
We found this to be an excellent location for walking around Rome, especially the 10 minute stroll to the Colloseum, 5 minutes from Termini. Very quiet location, no street noise and no noisy bars outside.
The only downside for me was not having tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The free coffee/tea downstairs was not always convenient.

Room Tip: We had a quadruple room, 2 proper single beds and a double bed, great for families although we seeme...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We are glad to have received your review, we wish to offer always the best to our clients.

We are glad to receive advises on the service, we think they are all usefuls.

For what concern the coffee or the tea facility, you could have asked for the room service, we would be really happy to serve it for you or maybe also if it is down on the lobby you could have use the free relax area, that we had provide for a relaxing moment for our guests - Pastries, water, orange juice, tea and coffee facilities are here-

We hope to see you soon at the Hotel Raffaello!
Warm regards,
leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Fabulous Hotel clean comfortable and classy with friendly helpful staff, great Location for Coliseum and other Rome sights. When in Rome this Hotel is a must...............................

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We wish to remind you that Tripadvisor users have special offers.

We thank you for sharing your positive review, we always try to offer to our guests always the best- Value for money, and services-

We hope to see you really soon in Rome!