“Don't stay here. Read why:” 2 of 5 stars

Les Chambres d'Or Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Dei Gracchi 32, 00192 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #872 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Don't stay here. Read why:”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I was wondering whether I should give this hotel one or two circles. I gave it two, for it's localization and it's staff, specially the night staff. And good things stop there.

There was no hot water most of the time, a dog has pissed on the elevator floor and it took a whole day for it to be cleaned, I was requested to change my rooms during my stay, having to stop my walk in the middle of the day to go back to hotel and pack my things, forgetting my chargers at the old room -- and it took a whole day for receiving them back --, the restaurant was not good (not bad either, though), sheets weren't changed, rubbish was not taken out of the room; a really unpleasant stay.

Also beware of all hotels at Via Catone, 21, Via dei Gracchi 32, Via dei Gracchi 17, and with names such as "Luxury Rooms": they are all from the same owner, and might show the same low quality.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dimona, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Everything about this hotel was amazing; the clean and spacious room, the helpful and smiley staff, the good and welcoming atmosphere, the fresh breakfast, the relatively low price, the location (one minute away from the vatican, if not less)!! a-m-a-z-i-n-g! not a single thing went wrong.. thank you so much for contributing to an excellent stay in the most beautiful city in the world. WILL DEFINITELY STAY AGAIN!!!
Greetings from Israel!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My initial thought was to give the hotel a 1 rating, but to be fair I booked it because it was very cheap and based on the price it is merely a disapointment, not a disaster. Also, this was my first stay in Rome so I don't have comparisons. That being said, it seems I got what I paid for... except when I didn't. I paid extra to not be "in a sepearate building" and yet I was in a building around the corner from the easy to miss "lobby." I arrived at the address I was given on my reservation and was simply confronted with a blank locked door of what appears to be an apartment building. After standing confused and ringing buttons, a neighbor led me to the lobby around the corner on a different street. If you do stay here look for the sign of the Rendezvous Restaurant as the check deck shares a store front with them.

DO NOT use their transportation from the airport. At their offer, I requested a car (for a 49e fee) to meet me at the airport. No driver arrived at the airport and I had to arrange my own transport. I tried to call the hotel to see if one was on its way and there was no answer on several tries. Good news was I saved 24e by taking a shuttle.

The reservation also said that wifi was available in all the rooms. This became wifi available in all the rooms with a charge. Once I paid the 5e charge, it turned out that wifi was not available in my room. Their solution was that I could use the wifi in the restaurant. I ordered a beer in the restaurant (a large draft) and was given a bill for 10e for the beer. I was not even given the 10% discount off of this ridiculous price promised on my check in paper. I went into the lobby to use the computer to avoid using a table/pressure to get 10e beers and was asked to leave the lobby because "it was a place of business" - eventhough there were no other customers in the lobby.

The staff (if 1 person at a desk is a staff) was never of help. No 110 electricity converter was available and when I asked where I could buy one they said they had no idea. I asked about currency exchange and was told that they did not do it. I asked who did and they said "probably one of the banks in town." No specifics were available. I asked if they had English language channels on the TV and was told "I don't know just scroll around and see if you find one."

Breakfast was included but pathetic, and managed by an angry man I assume was one of the owners. Each of my 2 days there I had to wait on coffee for up to 10 minutes along with many other patrons, including some who were very vocal in their anger and disappointment. Cosidering it was hosted in the back of their restaurant the bland quality and lack of selection was insane.

The location was great for visiting the Vatican and fine for other sites if you don't mind an extensive walk. Also, the metro is only 5 min away and I found it easy to use.

Basically, my recommendaton is to spend $20 more and get MUCH better accomodations. I plan on coming back to Rome soon, and I definitely will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Il Gzira, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

The Hotel was Luruxy as the rooms name luruxy room and the price was average, the waiters were helpful because they spoke in english language so we can communicate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Vilnius, Lithuania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Hotel has good location, but other things is not so good, when you pay as for 4 star hotel.
First- we writte before our flight, that we want to have separate beds and view to the street and got one big bed and view to the the yard.
The second- room was with some holes in the wall, not safety electrical socket - so it's very dangerous for children (you will see in photos).
Third - poor breakfast (only muffins, corn flakes, jam and butter), so the is nothing to eat, no eggs, no sandwiches, no hot meal.
The last - very rude girl on the bar - no help for tourist, maybe she thing, that she is pincess, but looks not so nice..

Room Tip: Noise from the street
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Located 5 minutes on foot from St Peter's Church, this small hotel offers an outstanding value for money.
The room is quite spacious for the price, very nicely decorated and clean with a well functionning air conidtionning.
The breakfast, to be taken in a coffee place in the same street, is not that great but provides a nice feeling of the italian way of life.

Graig (24)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

The price for this hotel was right--as we were there for only one night--and the staff was very friendly and helpful. But be warned that the reception is across the street from the given address, which was around the corner from the building where the room was--rather confusing. The triple room was comfortable--a decent size with great beds--but was borderline shabby, with some water stains on the carpet. Also the bathroom grouting was in sore need of updating. It was fine but we would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Les Chambres d'Or Hotel? Share your experiences!