“Good place to stay, reasonable price, helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Galeno
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Via dei Villini 10, 00161 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #1,158 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Southern, New Jersey
“Good place to stay, reasonable price, helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2004

Stayed here in Feb as part of a package deal. Was a bit hard to find the first time, since it is off the beat and path but only a block away from the major streets and a few blocks walking distance from Piazza Fiume with cafes, gelato shops, grocery stores, great pizza, theaters, etc. Desk staff was friendly and houskeeping very nice (although had difficulty speaking English), served you continental breakfast of espresso, cappuccino, or latte, juice, hot roll and butter, croissant, and packaged melba toast. Not much, but they came back and offered us more each day if we wanted it. About a 10-min walk to the metro line B, 15 min to the Roma Termini, or you could walk up to the top of the street and catch the streetcar trolley. Private bathroom took getting used to, since the shower is located right in the center right over the toilet. Towels were flat linen, more like bed sheets, not terry cloth, but basic soap and a sample packet of shampoo was provided. Room was clean, decent, size was adequate, not big though, and the bed was full size taking up most of the room. Tiny TV on high shelf received limited channels, all Italian. Hotel occupies the first floor of a multi-story apartment building, so the gate is locked after dark at night, but you can press the buzzer, and they will buzz open the door for you. Never had to wait at all for this. I found it in a good location and well worth it for budget accomodations. Would recommend to tourists looking for budget, comfortable, but not deluxe accomodations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2004

We booked this hotel through a very affordable travel package -- so we expected a bare bones hotel off the beaten path. But we didn't expect some of the little problems that would make this hotel simply an uncomfortable place to stay. I did enjoy the neighborhood. It was quiet and away from the frenetic, major streets of Rome. The breakfast was fine. But I would not stay here again unless it was absolutely the best deal I could get in the city. The staff was not particularly welcoming or rude -- but didn't really provide much help. When my boyfriend asked for an extra towel, he was told simply "no." They made us feel like we were imposing on them. The room was small -- and we expected that. But the walls were flithy and one wall even had mildew or mold growing on it. My allergies went wild. The shower was also covered in mildew, and because it was so small, it was hard to shower without touching it. I didn't like that at all. But the bedspread and drapes matched -- although the drapes were torn. It was a little depressing to wake up there and try to relax there. But we were only in the room a total of about two waking hours each day. So, if you are just looking for a cheap place to crash -- Galeno is fine. Just double check to make sure you can't get a little better place for the same price.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2004

I thought Hotel Galeno was pretty good. The staff was nice to us, and they all knew English, which was great. They also were extremely helpful in recommending places to go and eat at, as well as what train lines to take. They seemed genuinely happy that we were there. The only complaint could be that the rooms were a bit cozy, and that they did not have cable tv. It got somewhat boring in the small room with no TV at night to watch when we got in from sightseeing. Other than that it was decent. The breakfast was good, and who can complain about anything when your in Rome anyways. I would give it a B- for a grade.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2004

We had a wonderful chance to see Rome this past year and the cost was quite reasonable. We knew that Rome could be an expensive city to stay in, especially within the older parts of the wall. So we had an idea that this inexpensive hotel would not be the ritz! In spite that it was inexpensive, it was a wonderful European experience!

The Hotel Galeno is off a busy street and is in a fairly quiet working class neighborhood. We were within four blocks of the old city wall, in the northern part of Rome. There are several cafes and good Chinese restaurant close by. (Hey, their menu was also in English!) There is also a farmers market and a couple of grocery stores within a three block walk, so it was able to meet our needs of fresh fruits, soft drinks, bottled water, and other important "away-from-home" items.

Our room was small but cozy. There wasn't much room between the bed and the wall. Storage was sufficient and the room had a refrig. The bathroom was modern, though I would have preferred a tub/shower combination. The towels were linen, which is more european. We would have preferred terry cloth, but hey, we're in Rome! I sense this is a cultural thing. (PS, If it matters, bring your own terry cloth towels!)

The staff was quite friendly. We enjoyed people watching and trying to understand what was happening, since we didn't know Italian. The household staff provided a prompt continental breakfast in the morning, which was quite sufficient, though lacking in fruit. Several times we watched as the fresh bread arrived in the morning, since we started our days early as tourists. The latte was quite good and after several cups we were ready to see Rome. The hot chocolate was quite good, too.

It took 3,000 years to build Rome, so it is impossible to see it in 7 days. I would love to return to Rome, spend more time in the Vatican and see more of the other sites. If I won the lottery, I would stay at the Ritz, though for location, cost, and comfort; I would return to the Hotel Galeno!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2004

The Hotel Galeno has comically small rooms. So small in fact, if you have even a mild case of claustrophobia, do not stay here. The layout of the room was well designed. There were plenty of high shelves to store luggage out of sight in our room and a long shelf above the bed to store everyday items. The bed was comfortable and surprisingly large given the proportion of the room.

The continental breakfast was traditionally European. It consisisted of fresh hot bread (if you arrived early enough), packaged crossant and melba toast, along with fresh espresso and juice. It was quite good and the packaged items served well as snacks later in the day.

The towels at the hotel are paper thin so American travelers used to thick terry cloth should bring their own. Also, bring your own toiletries because the hotel does not supply anything other than toilet paper. The desk staff was cordial enough (some more than others). The maids are very polite. However, the building the hotel occupies serves as an apartment complex as well and the residents are not very kind to tourists. Fellow hotel guests were very nice and enjoyed chatting about their trip so far.

The neighborhood around the hotel is very quiet and the hotel is not close to the more tourist populated areas of Rome. If you are into people watching, this hotel is perfect. Cafe's and gelato shops are close by and have tables outdoors. However, the staff at stores and restaurants in this area do not know how to ease the language barrier. Know your Italian, or bring a great phrasebook. The Chinese restaurant three blocks from the hotel is surprisingly good and there are plenty of street vendors that can offer a deal. This area of Rome closes down early so if you want to enjoy the nightlife or a cybercafe, you better call a cab.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2004

I booked through a travel agency for myself & two grown children. It was clean enough, but claustrophobic. We were given a room on the first floor. It looked onto the patio which is walled in but we still felt vulnerable. There was no security screen on the window. The room was suffy, although clean. Our towels were not changed. I left my money clip in the room with maybe 10 or 20 euro in it (shame on me) which was gone when we returned and the window we had locked when we left was now open. The telephone was broke. Sometimes they would help us make a call from the desk, sometimes not. It did seem safe. We walked everywhere so bus lines were not an issue. But there was just something about it -- perhaps we felt no one really cared if we stayed as guests or not. I will look elsewhere for a hotel.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2004

I booked a trip for myself and a companion on go-today and was given Hotel Galeno in my package. We traveled during late November when there would be less tourist. There was no hot water the first day and no explaination as to why. Some of the desk people were very nice but a majority were rude. We were told that breakfast was served until 9 but we arrived at 8:45 and were treated quite rudely and told that they prefer if we come earlier. Although it was definitely not a problem since the breakfast was not worth it anyway (prepackaged soggy bread). Also the hotel was a bit off the beaten track but bearable because the train station was reasonably close. We had to constantly request fresh towels and have the heat turned on in the evenings. When we just ignored about the heat, I requested an additional blanket and was asked by the hotel desk clerk if I had a medical problem and maybe that was why I was cold (apparently he did not think its possibly because it is winter). After the first two days or so, we just dealt with it and thought of it as a misadventure of some sort. However, on our departure we specfically requested a wake up call and was not given one until the shuttle picked us up. We booked the shuttle service with the hotel and obviously there was some type of understanding between the two- tell the hotel patrons one price and then the shuttle shows up (and you have to get to the airport with no time to waist) and then the shuttle quotes a MUCH higher price. I would not stay here again.

Been to Hotel Galeno? Share your experiences!