“Okay for one night... barely.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Acropoli

You added Hotel Acropoli to your Saves list
Hotel Acropoli
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Principe Amedeo 63-67, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #1,129 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Austin, TX
“Okay for one night... barely.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I booked this hotel online through a different travel site. I just needed one room for one night. I was ending a week-long trip in Pisa, and I had booked a return flight home to the US from Rome, as it got me home sooner than if I had left from Pisa. So I found this place online. It sounded ok, and that was what it was: ok.

So after taking the train from Pisa to Rome on a Friday morning, I went to the hotel. It was very centrally located and very near to the train station. I walked there easily. The front desk staff was very, very friendly. Because I was there so early I was only able to leave my luggage while I took off to explore the city. The front desk staff was very helpful in letting me know how to get around town.

After exploring the city I came back and settled in. I had to get up by 4:00 in the morning, so I wanted to go to bed early. The room was small. Very small. It had one king bed and one twin bed that were laid perpendicular to each other. There was a small writing desk under the window that looked out over the street in front of the hotel. The street noise was rather loud. At first it sounded quaint, the clatter of silverware on dishes at the sidewalk cafe below. But that got old as I tried to get to sleep. The window surprisingly cut out all of the cacophony of the street below, but as there was no air conditioning it was almost necessary to leave the window open. I turned on the ceiling fan, but it had a constant "pop, pop, pop, pop..." sound that it made with each revolution.

The bathroom looked like something that had been added to the room after the place was built. It was raised, ostensibly to prevent water from the shower to get out. There was a bidet and a toilet, separated by the sink. Directly opposite the toilet was the tiny, tiny shower. This was nothing more than merely a very small drain pan with a shower head above it. It was so cramped in there that the shower soaked the toilet paper dispenser for the toilet. Luckily I noticed that before too much of the toilet paper was ruined. But it was such a small space. And the shower head was one of those that delivered an almost razor-sharp spray of water. Ouch.

While the bathroom was tiled, the rest of the room was a very worn indoor/outdoor carpet. No padding. I may as well have been walking on concrete. That also made for an echo in the room. Luckily there was no TV to add to the echo.

There was a complimentary breakfast, but because of my early departure I was not able to take advantage of it. And speaking of my departure... that evening I had asked the front desk if I could get a cab as early as 4:00am. She said they could arrange a transfer. From what she described it sounded like a Super Shuttle kind of transfer. I asked how much. She said 55 euros. Ouch! I asked how much a cab was, and she said about the same. I should have known that wasn't true. So I asked if this transfer would take credit cards, and she said yes. So I said fine, I'd take it.

The guy shows up on time in the morning. After we take out I double-checked and asked him if he took credit cards. He said no. Ugh. But, he explained, he could stop at a bank. Great. He hauled us around looking for an ATM at 4:00 in the morning. I thought for sure he'd take me to some dark street where his buddies were waiting to steal my money. But that went without incident. He stopped to pick up his next fare, and they were running late. He did, however, finally get on the road and drove like a demon to get us to the airport. The vehicle was a nice van. Very clean.

The surprise, however, was when we got the airport. It was not 55 euros as the hotel had told me. It was 58. Live and learn.

I can't recommend this hotel if it's for more than one night. If it's just an overnight trip, it's not bad, and it's not in a bad location. I walked to the Colosseum easily from there.

Room Tip: If you can't stand the noise and need to leave a window open, ask for a room that's not over...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
North Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Proximity to the main train station (Termini) was good, which is why we selected this hotel.
The room itself? If you live in the USA, think Motel 6.
The room we stayed in was typical, outdated Europe hotel room, with small bathroom and tiny shower square (at least it did have a shower curtain).
As I mentioned, there is no A/C - thankfully, we were there at the end of September and didn't deal with a hot Summer night. We did have to have the window open, but not too much noise from outside.
Standard bread & jam continental breakfast was portioned out in little baskets - nothing impressive.
Overall, not the best, not the worst; hence, the 3 star rating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had booked three nights to stay here for ~40 euros a night. We checked in, climbed four flights of stairs to a small, L shaped tiny room with two single beds (which couldn't be put together because of the room size). We had paid for a double room, so we asked the manager for a different room but he was rude and said that's all they had so take it of leave it! We ended up searching Rome for another hotel and thankfully we only had to pay for the Hostelbookers deposit. I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pre-book online, book at the Hotel AFTERviewing at the room if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Klaipeda, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I don't know why this hotel has such bad reviews. Our stay was very nice. There were 3 of us staying in the room, room size was good enough, the room was nice and clean. Service was also good. the breakfast, well it was usual Italian hotel breakfast.

The location of the hotel is the best! everything you need is near by - sightseeing, shopping, train and bus stations, metro.

I would stay in this hotel again for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I didn't like the look of this hotel when we we're told for our college trip this would be where we we're staying for a few days. But actually it wasn't too bad! The room was basic but clean, a tiny bit dark; but it's ment for sleeping in. The ensuite was small but with 4 girls sharing it held up well! Although the loo roll holder was in the shower... but we just moved the loo roll... not hard! The shower was always perfect temperature and pressure and the room and ensuite was cleaned everyday with fresh towels and made beds!
Now the beds we're excellent. They were. No question about it! We'd been informed the hotel which is based underneath another hotel (no biggy. . Never saw anyone other than my own college) is under new management and everything is being replaced; explained the modern ensuite although some of the decor was a litte dated... it gave the place character! The hotel was in a lovely location with countless bars, restaurants and cafes around. It was an enjoyable trip and some of the reviews on here are bogus. Granted I think we had one of the best rooms, but it was comfortable none the less. I really don't know why there are such harsh reviews! The price paid is certainly worth it and when in Rome, you don't really have the time to pay attention to your room, only the fluffy pillow at nightime. I even had a nose bleed and the friendly staff asked no questions and we're very helpful in supplying a clean one; I did apologise! I was happy with my stay.
The only downfalls we're the breakfast which yes, was a little disappointing, but we just had brunch in the city instead. (Other reviews are fairy accurate on the breakfast front)
And that of the street noise at night; we all jumped up and looked out from our window down to the street to see another group enjoying their night out.. we've all done it!

• Stayed February 2013
Doylestown, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I don’t have enough bad words to describe this hotel. Check in was a slow and agonizing experience, matched only by the horrific ride in the cage elevator. The room was atrocious. It was narrow and dingy, with dirty walls and a very high ceiling with a single light. The shutters opened up into the noisy street with no screens. Needless to say, there was no air conditioning. The bathroom is beyond description. It could not have been more than 3ft by 5ft. The shower was so tiny that I constantly ran into the walls trying to wash. The room is void of any decoration, the carpet is filthy, and the bed is a awful. The breakfast is nothing more than stale rolls and bad coffee. I have been all over the world, and this hotel still stands as the worst experience of my travels. However, it was only $50.

Room Tip: To my knowledge. There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Having read the reviews, we were somewhat scepticalabout the hotel, to the extent we even had some sheets made up JUST IN CASE all the evils mentioned in some of the reviews were in deed evident!

The Joke was on us! we booked two rooms for three days, and from the moment we walked into the reception, our fears were allayed. the staff were friendly, the rooms were spotless, and the bathrooms were a pleasure.

it is a basic functional hotel, in a prime location with plenty of places to go to in close proximity, and the Termini station, for both Trains and bus services, including the Hop on Hop off was two blocks away.

No Television, but none required. we left each morning by 08h00 (Breakfast of Great coffee Rolls Nutella and jams) and returned around 22h00.

A clean hotel that served our purposes perfectly in terms of Price, location and quite comfortable for our needs.

Room Tip: i think it would do no harm to ask for the newer rooms id they are available. the Hotel is busy with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Acropoli? Share your experiences!