“Simple nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #339 of 632 Specialty Lodging in Rome
budapest
“Simple nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2005

Avoid this hostel if you can. We have paid for a triple room with en-suite facilities. We got a room with 2 one-storey bed. The upper bed was on a strange level that you could not sit on the lower bed. The bathroom was outside, you had to go through a corridor in your nightgown. The bathroom is so small that you can not put your pijamas anywhere. The breakfast was a small cup of black coffee (without milk) and 2 small sweet something packed in cellophane. We asked to have it at 8 in the morning (it was served in the room) . Once we got it at 9, once at 9h 30, and once we were forgotten. We tried to make some food in the kitchen - but it was so cold that the water did not start to boil, the capacity of the electric cooker was not enough to heat the water and the air of the kitchen. And it was so cold in the house... We were almost frozen. There were some cold days at that time, and the heating capacity is a peanut.
January 2005

Families
Solo
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2004

Terrible hostel, breakfast was a packaged croissant and the internet and credit card machines were broken, no one was around when i had to check out at 10:00 am on a saturday morning (no breakfast was served this day because no one was there) and i was charged an additional 40 euros even though i paid for my entire stay with cash. they also lost my reservation but by chance had a bed available.

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2004

Hostel Eden no longer had a room for me when I arrived in Rome even though I booked in January for a March stay (and I arrived on time).
Instead of telling me that there wasn't a room available I was told to walk around for 2 hours and come back while my room was cleaned. When I got back i was they told me about the "problem". They said that there was another hostel that i could stay at for the same price and gave me directions. When I got there and settled in I found out that the price was not the same. It was 20 euros more each night. At least the new hostel was not in such a shady neighborhood. It was also run more like a hotel and less like a room off of someone's kitchen. Avoid the Hostel Eden.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2004

Avoid this one like the plague - truly one of the worst hostels ever.It wasn't really a hostel at all, just an apartment in a residential building that some enterprising landlord had decided to stick 18 bunk beds in and charge 12 euro a night for the privilege of sleeping in one. Unfortunately, this set-up didn't extend to improving the bathroom facilities - there was one toilet and two showers between the 18 'guests' - and they were pretty scummy.We were given ONE key between five of us.The showers had glass panels in the front, and we (girls) had to put up with a constant parade of males back and forth past the shower doors while we were trying to shower. One of the showers was no more than a dribble of water if the other was on - so only one person could really shower at a time.Oh - and the toilet seat (which was held together by masking tape) broke completely on the second night, so the manager removed it entirely - meaning the five of us had to traipse down to the train station to pay 0.60 euro-cents for the privilege of using the (clean, spacious) train station loos! Quite possibly the worst hostel I've ever stayed in! We would have left but we'd already paid for the three nights!We were charged 2 euro per bag to leave our luggage the day we left, and then when we went to pick them up they refused to let us use the bathroom. Oh by the way - the photos of the hostel on the website are NOT of this hostel! Each room is packed with bunk beds - there are NO rooms that look as good as these photos do!Avoid this hostel...I will never set foot in it again.

Been to Hostel Eden? Share your experiences!