“Two night break here was very relaxing,” 4 of 5 stars

Seven Hills Village
Via Cassia 1216, 00189 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #387 of 724 Specialty Lodging in Rome
London -East
“Two night break here was very relaxing,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Nice a relaxing two night break, facilities are good eventhough the times the swimming pool closes to early or opens to late. The onsite shop , resturants are good , Didnt get acknowledge at the resturant at all after waiting to be asked for our orders so had left and wen back to our room that was the only down side. The bus that takes you too the train station is very good and they collect you back reasonable too ,. with easy reach to vatican city etc via train next time we may even try PISA.

on the next visit will definity upgrade to the private villas.the rooms we had wre like caravans pretty clean had to bring all our own essentials. we had our own bathroom toilet no way was we gna share and thats it really we was out most of the time anyway so it was just for sleeping!! would defintly go back withthe kids.

Room Tip: opt for a caravan type with own toilet bathroom .
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I stayed here in summer 2007, as part of my Contiki tour around Europe. I had already stayed at the camping village in Venice, which was far more clean and comfortable than I'd expected, so coming from that, this one proved a bit of a disappointment. It looked so nice, with rows of little log cabins amongst fir trees, and the smell of the trees and the wood, mixed with summer air and the outdoors, gave it a lovely feel, like a real adventure. And while there is no proper bar, like the one at Venice- only a tiny one that our large group wouldn't fit into- there were wooden benches and tables all set very close together, so we were able to sit at those and make our own entertainment. But after the first impressions, things were less perfect than they seemed.

First of all, when we arrived there, there was endless confusion over what cabin each of us were in. The reps were getting really stressed and flustered, and most of us were standing around in confusion. I know we were a big group, but the reps knew we were coming, and it was meant to be all arranged, plus we didn't arrive until late in the evening, so I thought it should've been all arranged, and that confusion shouldn't have happened.

The cabins were much less impressive than the ones at Venice had been. I liked the fact that they were open in the middle, unlike the last ones, so you could walk right through, especially as the girls on the other side of it were from our group. But in other ways, I wasn't impressed. These cabins were much smaller and stuffier than the ones in Venice, and in these ones, you could really feel the lack of air conditioning. There were even ants crawling up the walls, we realised in disgust that night. There were also no showers and toilets in our cabins, so we had to use the separate shower block, and while that's the norm in a lot of campsites, the facilities of the showers and toilets left a lot to be desired. There was no toilet paper in the toilet, you had to bring your own, so if you forgot to bring it, it was just too bad. And the showers, while alright in themselves, had no locks on the doors, so you spent your whole time terrified that someone would walk in on you. I couldn't understand why they didn't at least have locks!

The campsite also ran to a different system to most others. You couldn't use cash in this campsite, you had to purchase a special Camp Card on arriving, and only that could be used. You had a choice of a 30 euro one, or a 60 euro, so either one was quite a lot of money, but you were afraid not to get one, in case you needed to buy anything. And it was even worse for me when I lost my original Camp Card and had to buy a new one specially, and only found the other one after I'd arrived home!!

There was also a laundry lady on site, who you could hand your washing in to, but things didn't run smoothly there either. When I went back to collect my laundry, the woman kept telling me- with very basic English and a lot of hand waving- that I was handing her the wrong ticket, and I was frustrated trying to explain, 'But this is the only one I have!' It was my mistake- I then found another ticket in my bag and realised it must've been that one she meant, and while I admit that was my fault, I still couldn't understand the system of her handing out more than one ticket, which makes confusion very easy to happen, and I also think the laundry lady should've had better ENglish, to make communication easier. Someone else told me that that same laundry lady had made the colours on her clothes run on another occasion, but I had no problems, and thought they were washed very well- it was just the confusion on collecting them!

We didn't have dinner in the camp on our first night- we ate out in Rome- but the second night the meal was fine, I couldn't fault it. It seemed a fair enough distance from Rome itself, but we were taken in by Contiki coach each time, so I can't comment on making your own way in, and how long it really took. And be aware- Seven Hills really DOES mean seven hills, or maybe more- the camp is VERY hilly!!!

PS I really stayed here in July 2007, but had to tick the box for 2011, as earlier options weren't available.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Staff is friendly and the location is good close to a trainstation. The site has a lot of potential when it's clean.... BUT this place is very dirty!... sanitary gets cleaned only once a day. You don't need higher algebra to understand this is not enough especially when you receive a lot of young people which seven hills does! Imagine a dirty smelly toilet loose or missing toilet seats, dirty toiletseats wet floors. Broken taps in the showers dirty, missing, broken tiles, doors who can't lock, mould all over the place. No toiletpaper all relevant for Seven Hills. All the facilities are worn out and need a lot of renovation! If you go make sure you have your own toilet and shower in a bungalow otherwise try to avoid this camping facility.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Me and my boyfriend were on a tight budget at this trip so we decided that we prefer to ''cut'' expenses from the hotel as we are all day long on the road.
Rome as we all know is an extremely expensive town when it comes to accommodation so we found the price at the Seven hills Village fair enough.
We knew we didn't have to expect much but since the Hotel was quite outside town we had the thoughtful idea to rent a scooter(as we saved money from accommodation)
I think that is what made the experience a lot easier and joyful.
The hotel is frankly very far away from the Center (about 12 km as we counted with the scooter meter)and i can only imagine a very hard time for someone without private vehicle approaching it.
The details say that you take a train and the stop is near the hotel.I can assure you that is more than a 1.5km walking and the road has ups and downs and if it is late at night then...i imagine there is not even a train.
To tell the truth 2 days before our arrival i read a terrible review about this place and i was pretty discouraged(talked about cockroaches and other bad things)
I tried to cancel it but it was too late,it was already paid.
Now i do not regret at all.
First of all it is placed as i mentioned before not near the city center.
Well,that is not always bad.
The area was full with trees and very pleasant.
The room was spartan,tiny,with two beds and...that's it but clean and this is very important.
The breakfast just...don't exist (a coffee and a croissant)
There is internet connection at communal places and this is good too.
Another strange thing is that the pool opens at 12pm so if you want an early coolness and then stroll around the town,forget it.
You also have to pay to swim at the pool so if you reserve a room have in mind it is going yo cost with the swimming pool and some taxes you pay before you leave 8 or 10 euros more per day for two.
Oh! And there will be no privacy at the rooms...Basically you take a large room ant cut it to four smaller rooms with very thin walls.That's your room.
The place is full of young groups and the staff polite and helpful.
I believe if i hadn't read the bad review i would have been disappointed but the fact that i read it worked the other way and the place was finally better than i expected it to be.
Just make sure you have a way of moving on your own!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

My girlfriend and I decided to go to Rome, and on our tight budget, 26 euro a night at the seven hills village sounded like an awesome deal. Make no mistake - this is a campground. Seven hills is off the beaten path, about a mile down a windy road into a forest like area. Our room was a 10x8 cabin with two tiny beds, and that's about it. The walls were paper thin so we had the interesting experience of waking up at 7am to one of the couples we shared a wall with going at it. There were shared bathrooms just across the path from us which were pretty clean, so showering/going to the bathroom wasn't very difficult. Let me warn you that if you have any interest in seeing Rome's night life, this is not the place for you. You have to take a seven hills shuttle (.50 per person each way) to the train station, both of which stop running at 9pm. Its about a 45 minute train ride to the center of the city (we had to take the train and then hop off and get on the metro line A). Also, in order to buy anything at seven hills you have to buy a pre-paid card (minimum 25 euro with a 5 euro deposit). During our stay there was a contiki tours group of around fifty 18-35 year olds from the UK/austrailia/NZ who were always up and drinking, so we were able to make some friends. I would recommend this place for a family looking to travel on a budget, that doesn't care about staying somewhere nice and literally just wants four walls and a bed. I would not recommend this for someone with high expectations, no AC, no personal shower, ants and mosquitoes in the room, it gets really hot during the day etc... It is also impossible to see the nightlife so take that into consideration. we ended up staying there 3 of the 6 nights and then paying more to stay in the city over the weekend (they only charged us for the 3 nights which was awesome).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed here for 1 week in May. My daughter and i loved the place. It was a basic little chalet but it was ok. We were free to come and go as we pleased and thought the little shuttle bus was very handy to get to the train station. Beautiful countryside in the area. Showers were basic but hot enough.Restaurant does beautiful pasta. Totally enjoyed it and cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: the little chalets are basic but cute.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here during the last week of March and had the worst experience EVER. We were the only people on the property and they put us in a mobile home at the furthest end of the property that had mold growing on all of the vents, bugs everywhere, no toilet paper, no towels, no amenities, sheets with holes in them on beds that smelled of mold and urine, no heat, the shower ran all night, and there was no hot water available. Two taxis dropped us off at the wrong locations so by the time we got to this place, which is in the middle of nowhere, we had no cash available to us. When waking up, the water next to the bedside (if you can even call them beds) had ice crystals on it. Seven Hills Village had no business offering accommodations at this time of year as they were not prepared for any visitors. They claim to have a mini-zoo...we only saw a mini-zoo of bugs that horrible night. Please, if you are trying to save money, do not stay here. The cost to get to the place plus a sleepless, miserable night is more than staying in a centralized Rome b&b or hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Seven Hills Village? Share your experiences!