“Highly recommended :o)” 5 of 5 stars

Via Gaeta, 25, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #211 of 632 Specialty Lodging in Rome
“Highly recommended :o)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

There have been some mixed reviews, but this was my favourite place to have stayed out of all the places I visited in Italy! I was in a four-bed dorm on the 2nd (or maybe 3rd?) floor. There was an elevator, but it was teeny-tiny, and I prefer stairs anyway. The room opened up off a common area.

The room was clean, the sheets were clean and to top it off, we had a working television, air conditioner and our own bathroom! The showerhead holder was broken but we used duct tape to tape it back up, which was fine. Had to be up and out of the room at 10am each day for cleaning, but this was no problem as we were out and about all day, everyday!

Bonded very well with my dorm mates. One girl had asked for an all-girls dorm but had accidentally been put into our mixed dorm. The hostel gave her a bottle of wine in apology, which we all thought was really nice.

Wifi was perfect (fast and reliable) and there were computers as well as a kitchen downstairs (with fridge-space), shops just down the road, and 24-hour reception. Just a 5-10 min walk from the main train station as well, which is handy.

Would not recommend the morning croissant and coffee.. but I'm not much of a breakfast person anyway. Also wouldn't recommend the 3 euro pasta place either; right next to it is a place called La Famiglia and at Via Volturno 44 (just around the corner) is a place called Ristorante Famiglia Allam. Head to one of those instead, had great meals at both (and the staff were really entertaining at the second restaurant- so many laughs)!

But the accommodation was great; I'll definitely be back next time I'm in the area :o)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012 via mobile

Do not stay here! From dirty linen, dirty bathrooms, horrible staff particularly the owner, dirty rooms bed bugs and broken equipment. Noisy, loud and disgusting. Don't do it. There are better places to stay for the same price!

• Stayed February 2012
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

With the price, you can't expect for something better. We first arrived at Via Gaeta street then the guy lead us to another building which is very old. It's very complex to find the street but after 3 days staying there, we got used to the way.
Room was 5 out of 10, dirty and dismal, bit if you need a place to rest after a day of terrible walking, that was fine.
Breakfast was basic. The place that serves breakfast in the morning also serves nice Indonesian cheap dishes at night.
The guys are pretty helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Well firstly, upon our arrival they had the convenient "credit card machine out of order" sign up, which was a bit of an inconvenience but nothing terrible as I hear much of Rome isn't big on credit/debit cards (something about exorbitant fees) anyhow. The Hostel was conveniently located up 3 flights of stairs (no elevator for hostel guests anyways). The beds were dorm style nothing great, I did notice the cleaning lady changing the sheets every time a guest would leave however the blankets (no duvet) were disgusting. The first night I woke up with pink eye my hostel mate woke up with a sty...despite my effort to not touch the blanket. Other than that I cant say it was the worst place ever. But just don't expect to be luxuriating in it. The bathroom was never disgusting...the hot water went out 2nd or 3rd day but I let the cleaning lady know and she was on it. What else? oh yes we were there for the "last they they served breakfast ever" it was really bad! You're way better off paying a few bucks and getting a decent breakfast. Yeah other than that--front desk people not exactly friendly (have that I hate my life) vibe... but if you ask they do make an effort to send you to the right places. I will say this though, the location of this Hostel- being next to Termini station-was the BEST thing about it.

Room Tip: When you walk up the stairs rooms to your left...have a mini-fridge
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here. Comfy if old fashioned rooms. Towels provided. Excellent location, v close to Termini station. Staff were priceless tho. Check in etc is done at a snail's pace. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Cookeville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I went with Vanessa from Memphis who has also posted a review. We were on a school trip with a large group. There were bed bugs in their room, crawling all over their beds, clothing, and walls. The manager had the gall to swear at her and blame us for the bedbugs, saying that we had brought them there. He said that, "There are bed bugs all over f******* New York!"
Good thing all over us were from Tennessee over 800 miles from New York.

On the very last day, I was trying to get my 10 Euro deposit that you get back when you return your key. The receptionist refused, saying that he had already given out 50 euros. I told him I had my key and I didn't see how other people turning their keys in had anything to do with me getting my 10 Euro back (which I needed to buy a train ticket). He told me that it wasn't his "f****** problem". My professor had to intervene to get my my money. The guy was basically just trying to make a few euros for himself.

The breakfast that they brag about is horrid. It consists of hollow, stale, day-old rolls. There was cereal, but it was also stale and the milk was warm and sat uncooled for the entirety of breakfast. It was better to just spend a few euros at a cafe than risk sickness from old food and milk at an unsanitary temperature.

In short, DO NOT GO HERE. The manager and some of the staff are incredibly rude and ready to cheat you. I have never been treated so crudely in my life.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, be unapologetically hard-nosed.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I am a seasoned European traveler, and I've never had this awful an experience.

This is absolutely a terrible place to stay. It's in an excellent location, right off the Termini Station, but there's little else going for it. Bed bugs, fleas, mosquitoes, etc. We complained extensively, and they did nothing until we demanded a refund, and then all of a sudden they were able to replace our mattresses. Of course, we still woke up with more bed bug bites, and then, the staff insulted us, swore at us and would not give us a refund for having to sleep in a room full of bed bugs.

The free breakfast they boast consists of crusty, hollow rolls, a small selection of juice and cereal and awful coffee.

There is black mold in the bathroom. Also, some of the rooms have their own bathroom and some do not. Up to nine people might be sharing a bathroom. This is not too much of a big deal if you're used to hostel accommodations, but if you're expecting a clean common bathroom, you won't be getting that. In addition to that, the water temperature is unpredictable and rather uncomfortable.

The wifi is difficult to pick up, especially on Apple Products, so if you expect to use your iPhone, iPod or iPad, just know it might or might not work. Also, some of the TVs in the rooms don't work.

The garden that they say offers such vibrant night life closes at 10 pm. Also, the "common area" and "kitchen" in the lobby offer little space if more than one person wants to cook dinner.

My room was in a building not connected to the main office, and the door to that building was often left open, and the doors to the apartment were sometimes left ajar. On top of that, the locks are very old, and it was often difficult to open the doors, which are cheap and would be very easy to break into. Theft was a constant worry. Not every person in the room is given a set of keys, so a lot of coordination is involved between the roommates.

I cannot stress how abrasive the staff is. I'm here with a group, and only one of our rooms suffered a serious bed bug problem. They blamed us for bringing them instead of trying to help. They rolled their eyes at us, were very sarcastic and extremely accusatory. We're the ones covered in bites. They shouldn't be rude to us on top of it.

There are plenty of other cheap hotels and hostels in this area. Stay at one of those and keep clear of "Freedom Traveller."

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Freedom Traveller Hostel? Share your experiences!