“Honeymoon in Rome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #383 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Honeymoon in Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

This hotel is fantastic!!! We booked a basic room here and got upgraded to a De Luxe room, which was amazing. The location of this hotel is also the best in Rome. It is 10 minutes to the best locations and being next to the Pantheon is amazing. There are fantastic restaurants and some really good gelato. They brought up champaign and chocolates for us, which were to die for! We had a great time at this hotel and recommend it to anyone looking for the prefect place to stay in Rome!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

The location of this hotel, next to Pantheon, is excellent, within walking distance of everything you want to see, Walked to Colosseum and taxied back. Husband was on business but I was on holiday. Had meal for one - steak sandwich with frites, glass of Prosecco, glass of red wine on roof top bar Euros 52. Breakfast available until 10.30 and adequate. Plenty of good value eateries in area, without the view! Room clean and well serviced, lovely towels and nice smellies but air con seemed to be centrally controlled not available during the night or early morning. Staff very helpful and professional, organised a guide for us to visit Vatican City and did on line check in for us for return home.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

This was my second stay at La Minerve. At my recommendation several of my friends have stayed at this property.

I love the location! directly on the side of the La Minere church and to the rear of the Pantheon. You can walk everywhere from the hotel. The staff for the most part is courteous and helpful.

Unlike the first stay, when we had a superior room, this time I booked a classic room. I assumed the room would be smaller with fewer amenities, but would be still the same quality of a 4+ star hotel. I was wrong! The rug in the room with a filthy, the walls were scuffed and dirty, the closet doors had chunks of wood missing, and the furniture was dented and scratched. The bathroom looked better than the room. I felt as though I was in a motel. I requested a room change. I was moved to different classic room. The room was cleaner, but it still did not appear to be a 4+ star hotel. The bed was on the floor and uncomfortable. The walls were still dirty and scuffed. The furniture and closet was in a better condition than the previous room.

So, if you plan to stay at La Minerve do not book a classic room! It's the forgotten and neglected room category. During my 2008 stay we book a superior room, however given the look of the classic room, I'm not sure a superior room is worth booking now. I'm highly embarrassed I referred my friends to this property. My friends did not voice complaints, however they did stay in superior rooms.

Great location, but not worth the money. In the future, I will look into other hotels in the area. This is not a 4+ star property.

• Stayed April 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I loved this hotel! The location was beyond my expectations for good. Steps from the Pantheon, very close to some great trattorias, in the square with a hidden gem of a little church with its own Michelangelo. Our room was very spacious, with a big entrance hall, great bath and beautiful appointments. The restaurant on the roof was great. We were told it closed at the end of October, but it was open during the first week of November and the views were magnificent.

I have read reviews of old carpet and small rooms at this hotel, but we saw none of that. I consider myself a very picky hotel selector, and this was one of my best picks ever! I highly recommend for the overall ambiance and charm, the beautiful room and the location of your dreams for negotiating Rome.

Room Tip: Book the bigger rooms; they are worth it.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston,MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

The location for this hotel is excellent being right near the Pantheon. You are walking distance to most everything which makes it easy to navigate Rome. The service is very good as all of the staff are incredibly willing to help make your stay enjoyable. Everybody from the concierge to the front desk and in particular Paul who works the front door were very helpful and professional. the downside was "the "2 bedroom suite" that we stayed in was very dated and in need of a renovation. I would have been ok with this if the price reflected the condition of the room but in no way did these accoodations warrant the cost. I would stay here again if the price point was more reflective of this hotel being a 3 or being generous a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We hopped around to 3 of Rome's 5 star hotels using Priceline and this was by far my favorite find. Location is great - as everyone else has mentioned in their review. The staff is very personable (especially the bartender). The view from the roof is exceptional. Without Priceline, I would assume this is a little over priced but for our purposes, it was lovely. Great selection of toiletries (Bulgari) in the bathroom too!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We were disappointed with this hotel, but this could be countered by the fact that it is a great location.

For the price, our room was not good value. It was small, and there was no air conditioning which I imagine would make it unbearable in summer. We experienced a catalogue of basic service failures e.g. sat with drinks menu but not approached for our order, waiter forgot to bring milk at breakfast, doorman fails to open door for my wife. Trivia, but it starts to become irritating considering the 5 star positioning.

Perhaps it was the time of year (April) but in general the hotel seemed to lack atmosphere.

Before staying there again, we would look to see what else was nearby because it is without question a great location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel de la Minerve? Share your experiences!